Looking for some IEMs with a beautiful midrange
Nov 24, 2006 at 12:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

pedalhead

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi @. I think the time has come to get my first decent pair of IEMs, & after searching on the forum for days, I'm still undecided.

They'll be fed by an iAudio X5L & I've also been tempted by the Tomahawk portable amp offer that Ray's recently announced. I'm really after what I'd call an "emotional" midrange...one that allows the voice of the singer to shine. Voices like Damien Rice, Nick Drake, Elliott Smith, you get the picture. Deep bass extension is secondary, however, I do also like a bit of Opeth, Porcupine Tree, Miles Davis, Coltrane & so on, so they still need to be pretty good all-rounders. My main rig cans in my sig give some idea of the kind of sound I love, with the Alessandros seeing most of the action lately.

Price-wise, I'm looking in the ballpark of $350-$400, depending on availability in the UK & import costs etc. So far I've been researching the likes of the E500, Triple.Fis & so on. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Nov 24, 2006 at 12:56 AM Post #2 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by pedalhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi @. I think the time has come to get my first decent pair of IEMs, & after searching on the forum for days, I'm still undecided.

They'll be fed by an iAudio X5L & I've also been tempted by the Tomahawk portable amp offer that Ray's recently announced. I'm really after what I'd call an "emotional" midrange...one that allows the voice of the singer to shine. Voices like Damien Rice, Nick Drake, Elliott Smith, you get the picture. Deep bass extension is secondary, however, I do also like a bit of Opeth, Porcupine Tree, Miles Davis, Coltrane & so on, so they still need to be pretty good all-rounders. My main rig cans in my sig give some idea of the kind of sound I love, with the Alessandros seeing most of the action lately.

Price-wise, I'm looking in the ballpark of $350-$400, depending on availability in the UK & import costs etc. So far I've been researching the likes of the E500, Triple.Fis & so on. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

The Shure series of IEM's are known for their midrange sound. Check out the E4Cs and E500s.

Nov 24, 2006 at 1:05 AM Post #4 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by derek8555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or Westone's UM2 and ES2 (customs).

Not enough experience to comment on the above, but the Shure E500 certainly has the smoothest midrange of the IEMs that I've sampled.

Nov 24, 2006 at 1:08 AM Post #5 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jokieman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Shure series of IEM's are known for their midrange sound. Check out the E4Cs and E500s.

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not enough experience to comment on the above, but the Shure E500 certainly has the smoothest midrange in the IEMs that I've sampled.

x3 over here! I really do enjoy my e500s. The midrange was the first thing I noticed. I've used my e500s with a SuperMacro 3ver6 and now an Earmax Pro. They do sound great!!

Nov 24, 2006 at 1:23 AM Post #7 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by JLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x4 for the E500s. I really love the midrange the Shure's give. I was missing it after I switched to UE for a while.

Makes me want to get a pair again... *no no no wait for Triple.fi10Pro!*

Nov 24, 2006 at 1:25 AM Post #8 of 42
I think Shure is the best choice
icon10.gif

Nov 24, 2006 at 1:36 AM Post #9 of 42
Quote:

They're never coming out.
tongue.gif

j/k j/k

I was gonna wait too (atleast until there were more comparisons out). Then my super.fi's cracked and I couldn't resist. Now I'm glad they cracked.
icon10.gif

Nov 24, 2006 at 1:40 AM Post #10 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by JLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They're never coming out.
tongue.gif

j/k j/k

I was gonna wait too (atleast until there were more comparisons out). Then my super.fi's cracked and I couldn't resist. Now I'm glad they cracked.
icon10.gif

It's all too much waiting!

Nov 24, 2006 at 1:40 AM Post #11 of 42
Quote:

oh hell, get both!! I'm enjoying my e500s while I wait for my Triple.Fis!!

Nov 24, 2006 at 1:42 AM Post #12 of 42
Quote:

I've heard the Triple.fi 10 pros are coming out shortly after the release of Duke Nukem Forever.

Nov 24, 2006 at 1:55 AM Post #14 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by sant430 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh hell, get both!! I'm enjoying my e500s while I wait for my Triple.Fis!!

That is the very last thing I'd like to hear...

Nov 24, 2006 at 2:33 AM Post #15 of 42
Among the IEMs I have owned (Shure E1, E4, IM716, SF5P), the UM2s have the sweetest, more pleasing mids. They are also the most costly, but I am trying not to let that color my judgement. They do a great job with vocals and, at the moment, are my fave all rounders. They are new enough that I am still experimenting with tips to tweak the sound, particularly the highs, but the midrange is clearly their strength.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back