Looking for some IEMs... ~$80
Jan 18, 2009 at 9:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Sabrage

100+ Head-Fier
I really hate to be "that guy", but, to be honest, I spent countless hours researching my full-size headphones (Alessandro MS-1) and I'd like to make purchasing my second pair as painless as possible. I'm trying to save my wallet a little stress, so my limit is $80 this time.

Here's my list:
Source: iPod Touch 2g unamped (might get a Fiio in the future), and very rarely a Sansa e280
Types of music: Rock, post-rock, hardcore, doom metal, hip-hop, punk, folk
Mainly used for: School, walking around, possibly in bed whilst reading

I don't really know anything about IEM's, and I was pretty set in getting some SCL4's just because they were so heavily discounted... But they seem to be out of stock everywhere. So my main contenders are:
-Shure SCL3
-Apple in-ear
-Etymotic ER-6i
-Nuforce NE-8
-Probably many more that I have forgotten.

I like a fairly balanced and detailed sound, but I do like to get my bass out now and then. Up to this point I've only used Apple earbuds, and to be honest I'm a bit hesitant about the whole "over-the-ear" thing because I think it looks pretty dorky (how shallow am I?)

Cheers in advance.

Jan 18, 2009 at 9:31 AM Post #3 of 11
Well, I've never tried it so I won't write it off completely, but I would like at least a little bit choice with how I wear them and I don't get that with the NE-8. A lot of people complain about how they feel that earbuds are about to "fall out" of their ears, but even walking around and stuff they never seemed too precarious to me, so I guess the over-the-ear thing seems unnecessary.

As for bass, that's where the entire doom metal genre exists, so I guess I couldn't really live without it.

A bit of a general question here: do in-ears usually come with a multitude of tips? Looking at choices like the RE2, they seem to come with several different types so I was wondering if this was pretty much standard fare or if I should be wary that some may not.

Jan 19, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #4 of 11
Some IEMs will take lots of different types of tips - even from competing brands. That's one of the things I like about my Westone UM1s - I have used Comply, Ety, Shure and homemade tips that all worked fine. Over the ear is dorky? With a face like yours, do you actually think anyone is looking at your ears that closely?
tongue.gif

Jan 19, 2009 at 8:37 AM Post #6 of 11
Like you I like the sound of my Alessandro MS-1. And I too consider getting a pair of earcanal phones for the on-the-go listening, my choice has been narrowed down to the NE-7M (which my research has shown to be considered more balanced and with 'better' bass than the NE-8) and the ER6i's which are however supposed to be pretty week in the bass department.

Jan 19, 2009 at 2:08 PM Post #7 of 11
Go around and look for a pair of the new Jays s-jays, they retail for about 100 or so, and you can easily find them online for $90. These have a new balanced armature that's circular and provides one of the most powerful lows/bass to exist on earphones. The highs and mids are also very nicely produced. you could also look at the Zagg Z-buds, which are well $79. Or you could wait for the Scl4 to go back in stock, the white one seems to be selling for $80 at some places. As the White is discontinued now and they don't make it anymore.

Also, i myself prefer over the ear as it's so much more convenient, if you want to listen to someone talk, just pop it out of your ear and it's ride beside your ear, right after the convo, just pop it back it. secondly, it reduces microphonics, the sound that you can hear through your earphones from your cables rubbing against things. When you wear it over the ear, it's drastically reduced.

If you don't mind, you could also look into the Klipsch Custom 1 and Custom 2, they often go on sale for a lot. the Custom 2 was on sale once for $69.99, but due to the fact that i don't live in the US. I wasn't able to buy it.

Jan 20, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #10 of 11
Whoa, lots of differing opinions...I'll only help by kicking two off the list:

1. ER-6i doesn't have enough bass impact for those genres. I miss my C551s when I listen to heavier rock stuff. They'll do your folk fine, though. Maybe with a Fiio amp...
2. The new Apple IEMs conduct sound like crazy. Not the best headphones for walking around, though YMMV.

Based on my limited experience with IEMs, I'm with mark. For your music, C551s if you want to keep below your budget (they can be had for ~$60).

Jan 21, 2009 at 5:55 AM Post #11 of 11
I ended up ordering the c551's. I think I was looking for something a little bit more high-end but I can't justify paying almost double for the c751's right now. Thanks a lot, impressions in a week or two, and maybe I'll use the money I saved to buy a Fiio E5
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back