Looking for some hifi open cans to utilize this amp
Jun 3, 2016 at 6:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

narcispy

Head-Fier
I've been a lurker around here for sometime but decided to get back into the headphone realm.  

Right now I have a pair of Denon AH-D5000's which sound good to me, just way too neutral and too closed in.   The only other headphones I've owned are the Ultrasone Pro 2500's which I don't recall liking ended up selling them months later.  

I've been really toying the idea of getting some open full size headphones and something under $1000 used. My thoughts are trying maybe something planar like the Hifiman HD500's or LCD2's or possibly even something like the HD800s.  I just have no idea how they are.

As far as amps, this past week I finally picked up a decent amp from here and got the Schiit Vali and Modi.  I just don't really have any headphones that really utilize such a marvelous setup.  The D5000's don't really benefit from them much.

I listen to a really wide range of music so trying to narrow down what they should specialize in would be tough.

What would be worth looking at?  

Jun 3, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #2 of 7
Having not heard the 800's on that setup I can't say for sure but the 800's tend to be very amp picky and that might not be a good choice. I really like the 500's but did not care a lot for the Lcd 2's it has been a while and I can't remember why that was. The 3 and 4's are really good but just very heavy for me. Not sure what type of sound your looking for but the HE-560's are something to consider also. I do like the planar sound but that is me. For the price you're looking at there are many options.

Jun 3, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #3 of 7
Yeah that's what I just saw on reviews about the 800s, extremely picky about amps.  I haven't heard a whole lot of anything and there really isn't any local headphone dealers around here.  I'll have a look at the he 560s

Jun 3, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #4 of 7
Yeah that's what I just saw on reviews about the 800s, extremely picky about amps.  I haven't heard a whole lot of anything and there really isn't any local headphone dealers around here.  I'll have a look at the he 560s
Yes headphone dealers are not in a lot of places it becomes a shot in the dark sometimes. Not sure where your at but try finding a meet up it is a real wealth of info and gear that has helped me empty my wallet. What kind of sound signature do you prefer? That would help on what kind of recommendations I and others can give.

Jun 3, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #5 of 7
What I'm wanting out of a sound signature - warm, larger sound stage

The only real meet near me is about 3 hours away and it already happened back in March this year.

Jun 3, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #6 of 7
The three hour trip would have been worth it trust me. I have been to three in Nashville about 2 1/2 hour drive from Louisville for me and I can't wait till the fall meet. I even went to Atlanta for the Canlanta meet such a good time and also CanJam in SoCal (yes I am addicted). They're such good people in this hobby and that includes the makers of the cans and amps and DAC's that I have meet. As far as warm and wide soundstage the HD-650 fits that bill along with the HE-560. I think the both wouldn't mind setup but would beg for more as each can scale a bit higher.

Jun 4, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #7 of 7
Yeah I just didn't know about the meet.  I think that'd I'd more enjoy hifiman over seinheiser after I've been reading.  I like recessed highs for daily listening.  I was hoping there would be something I know I would absolutely want in the 800-1000 range but I haven't seen any gotcha's yet.  Really wanted to look at those LCD2's but from what I've been hearing they aren't as impressive as the X series or 3 and 4's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back