Looking for some help
Mar 12, 2020 at 12:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Samson78

New Head-Fier
Hello,
Long time lurker, first post. I’m at a bit of a crossroads as to what to get. My set up is an iPhone 8 Plus, ES100mk2, and the cc16 iems. I listen to mostly rock, classic rock, fusion and jazz.
My question is this.... do I upgrade my iems to something more respectable, and use with my iPhone, Or do I go the DAP route with my current iems? If you think an upgrade of iem is needed, I’d like to keep it under 300$. I’ve searched and searched here, with sooooo many choices, I’m a bit overwhelmed.
any advice, or input is greatly appreciated.
thanks!

Mar 12, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #2 of 4
not familiar with those iems but IDK if I would worry too much if you like the setup you have. also IDK that you can find a dap with much better SQ than the ES100mk2 esp at this budget... I would only consider seriously consider a DAP if you like the idea of having a DAP (UI, seperate device, preserving phone battery life etc...).

suggestions:
if you are using the ES100mk2 & Iphone with bluetooth, consider switching to USB (idk if it works or not with iphone ... for better bluetooth audio could go android for LDAC/AptXHD codecs)

if you aren't using the 2.5mm BAL of the ES100mk2, consider getting a BAL cable for your headphones (i don't ]think BAL itself is inherently better but on ES100 IMO the BAL sounds better than the SE)

maybe consider getting some over-ear headphones instead of IEMs, for a different listening experience (ath-msr7, sony 1am2, meze classics some popular models)
iem-wise, not knowing cc16 can't offer good suggestions... personally I like the Sony N3, Drop/JVC FDXX, Etymotic ER2 & ER4 in this price range.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #4 of 4
Thank you for your reply and insights.

You have a good DAC for this price range, with portability. Different IEMs will make a much bigger difference than a new DAC. What kind of sound are you looking for? You have an all BA IEM, so a DD IEM or hybrid would be a logical choice for an alternative IEM. There are plenty of really good IEMs for less than $300, but mostly ChiFi.

I think that every IEM enthusiast should purchase the BLON BL03 and the Tin HiFi T2, given their price, and their tuning. The Tin HiFi T4 has a different tuning than the T2, and is technically quite superior. The Moondrop Starfield is also a great option. If you want a basshead IEM, The TFZ No.3 is a good option.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back