looking for some help in choosing new headphones
Apr 4, 2015 at 3:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

earl grey

New Head-Fier
I am now in the market for a pair of headphones. I won't have the same access to my regular system and thought I might find a quieter way to enjoy my music. I have been very satisfied with my modest home system, vandersteen 2CE's, vandy middle, vandy 1's in the rear powered by emotiva 5 channel amp, a marrantz av7005, an oppo blu ray player, and Hsu sub woofer.  Not a hi end system but plenty good enough to keep me happy and wonderful at higher volumes.

The reason I mention the equipment is that I would love to get a pair of headphones that might come close to what I am used to.  I am guessing that the mids and hi freq might be easier for a good pair of phones to handle than the bass.  But I may be wrong about that.  I would love to have a pair that came close to a good sub woofer but don't even know if that is possible. 

Price range is up to 1200. Less if the sound is adequate. In ear, over ear, closed or open are all possibilities.  Most important variable is the sound. I have been reading a bit on this forum and am intrigued by the reviews of the hd 600 and others that are very reasonably priced and seem to deliver excellent sound.  I am also very curious about the headphone amps and the improvement they might provide. Maybe combine a less costly set of phones with a headphone amp and get better sound than from a similarly priced higher end phone? I really don't know how that works and will be curious to hear.  I love the oppo equipment and have wondered about the PM-2 or one of their headphone amps but I am not wedded to any brand.

I am looking forward to hearing feedback and suggestions!

thank you

Tom

Apr 4, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #2 of 18
Just like with speakers, the primary advantages of a headphone amp come into play when (a) your amp is not powerful enough for the headphones for the volume you listen to and so you lose dynamics and increase distortion and (b) problems with impedance matching. Beyond that, you probably already know the differences are less significant.

Apr 4, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #3 of 18
  I am now in the market for a pair of headphones. I won't have the same access to my regular system and thought I might find a quieter way to enjoy my music, a marrantz av7005, an oppo blu ray player,

Price range is up to 1200. Less if the sound is adequate. In ear, over ear, closed or open are all possibilities.  Most important variable is the sound. I have been reading a bit on this forum and am intrigued by the reviews of the hd 600 and others that are very reasonably priced and seem to deliver excellent sound.  I am also very curious about the headphone amps and the improvement they might provide. Maybe combine a less costly set of phones with a headphone amp and get better sound than from a similarly priced higher end phone? I really don't know how that works and will be curious to hear.  I love the oppo equipment and have wondered about the PM-2 or one of their headphone amps but I am not wedded to any brand.

Get the HD600 and plug them straight into the Marantz AV7005, see how what sounds, then see if you still need to buy a amp (or DAC/amp) for the headphones.

Apr 4, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #4 of 18
Thanks cel4145. Good point that having a strong clean signal makes a difference with the phones.

Thanks also to PurpleAngel.  I may consider that option.  It's very tempting since it is very reasonably priced and the reviews here are stellar. I would have money left for an amp.  I hadn't even thought of the headphone amp on the 7005.  Have you heard from anyone about how that amp is compares to other amps?

Apr 4, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #5 of 18
  Thanks also to Purple Angel.  I may consider that option.  It's very tempting since it is very reasonably priced and the reviews here are stellar. I would have money left for an amp.  I hadn't even thought of the headphone amp on the 7005.  Have you heard from anyone about how that amp is compares to other amps?

Just looked up the AV7005 A/V receiver (suggest retail is $1600), it's loaded with stuff, it even comes with Dolby Headphone, which is not common on A/V receivers.
I'm guessing the AV7005 would have no problem driving 600-Ohm headphones and the HD600 are only 300-Ohm.
So I can't see a good reason for buying a separate headphone amplifier or even headphone DAC/amp for use with the HD600.
How do you have the audio and video sources connected to the AV7005?

Apr 4, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #6 of 18
Just looked up the AV7005 A/V receiver (suggest retail is $1600), it's loaded with stuff, it even comes with Dolby Headphone, which is not common on A/V receivers.
I'm guessing the AV7005 would have no problem driving 600-Ohm headphones and the HD600 are only 300-Ohm.
So I can't see a good reason for buying a separate headphone amplifier or even headphone DAC/amp for use with the HD600.
How do you have the audio and video sources connected to the AV7005?

+1

That's a plus. When Marantz/Denon put Dolby Headphone on a receiver, they are paying more attention to the headphone sound. Definitely worthy giving it a shot and seeing if you need an amp.

Apr 5, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #7 of 18
Thanks cel4145 and PurpleAngel.  I will give the headphone output on the 7005 a try.  I do love that unit.

I have my dvr and blu ray player and other inputs hooked into the 7005 via hdmi and rca jacks. Is that what you were asking? The headphone jack is on the front panel.

My only concern about the HD 600 is the bass.  The reviews I have read have been split on that.  However, there also seems to be a consistent message, cleaner and stronger signal equals better bass. Give the HD 600 a good signal and it will give you good bass. Does that sound corect to you? Do either of you have experience with the bass in the HD 600?  Really appreciate your help with this.

Apr 5, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #8 of 18
My only concern about the HD 600 is the bass.  The reviews I have read have been split on that.  However, there also seems to be a consistent message, cleaner and stronger signal equals better bass. Give the HD 600 a good signal and it will give you good bass. Does that sound corect to you? Do either of you have experience with the bass in the HD 600?  Really appreciate your help with this.

It's like I said before. Depends largely on whether or not you have the power necessary to drive them to your listening volumes with headroom left on the amp for dynamic peaks.

Note that today, Newegg has the HD600 for $245. Might be the time go through with the purchase: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4P01VR6930

You said your budget was $1200. At $245, good just to have the HD600s as a spare headphone even if you decide to get something different later on :)

Apr 6, 2015 at 12:05 AM Post #10 of 18
  Thanks cel4145 and PurpleAngel.  I will give the headphone output on the 7005 a try.  I do love that unit.

I have my dvr and blu ray player and other inputs hooked into the 7005 via hdmi and rca jacks. Is that what you were asking? The headphone jack is on the front panel.

My only concern about the HD 600 is the bass.  The reviews I have read have been split on that.  However, there also seems to be a consistent message, cleaner and stronger signal equals better bass. Give the HD 600 a good signal and it will give you good bass. Does that sound correct to you? Do either of you have experience with the bass in the HD 600?  Really appreciate your help with this.

I was hopeful you had both the DVR and Blu-ray player connected to the AV7005 with HDMI, just to make sure your AV7005 gets the full digital audio signal.
In general you can say cleaner and stronger amplifier signal to the HD600 brings out the best in the HD600s.
Chances are the AV7005 uses the same amplifier(s) to drive both the speakers and the headphones, so plenty of strong signal there.
Another thing to consider is you you go with an external DAC/amp for headphones, you lose the AV7005's Dolby Headphone surround sound processing.
So I'm still not seeing good enough reasons for investing in a external amp or DAC/amp.

Might try reading up and also asking questions about the HD600s on this thread.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/538255/sennheiser-hd-600-impressions-thread

Apr 6, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #11 of 18
Hi PurpleAngel - Yes, the dvr is connected via hdmi as is the blu ray player. But the connections for the DVA and SACD of the oppo are all rca.  The 7005 is a Preamp/Processor so it doesn't work to power the speakers, the closest it has to an amp is the headphone amp.  

Indeed!  I will be reading up.  Thanks for the link and for pointing out the headphone amp in the 7005.  I had overlooked it,

Apr 6, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #12 of 18
  Hi PurpleAngel - Yes, the dvr is connected via hdmi as is the blu ray player. But the connections for the DVA and SACD of the oppo are all rca.  The 7005 is a Preamp/Processor so it doesn't work to power the speakers, the closest it has to an amp is the headphone amp.  

Indeed!  I will be reading up.  Thanks for the link and for pointing out the headphone amp in the 7005.  I had overlooked it,

Wow, the AV7005 was so big I just assumed it had speaker amplifiers.
Still say to get the HD600 and plug them into the AV7005 and see what happens.

Oct 28, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #13 of 18
Purple Angel -  I ended up buying the HD 600's and as soon as I got them I plugged them into the 7005.  I was not so impressed.  I plugged them directly into my imac and have been listening to spotify through them for a couple of months.  I have enjoyed the sound. I found it to gradually improve over time thus appearing to be a "break in" of sorts.  Then I remembered about the 7005.  I plugged them into the 7005 after listening to them for that couple of months and the difference was amazing!  I mean really.  The sound was fantastic and makes me now cringe when I hear them through the imac.  lol  The space opened up. Even on traditional CD's.  It was a strange experience of clarity and space.  The weird thing was the space seemed to be more vertical than horizontal.  It is hard to describe but whatever it is I really like it.  It handles all the volume I pump into it and sounds fantastic. Damn. The first time I did this I literally laid on the floor next to the 7005 for hours listening! My faithful canine friend Barnie at my side. I have to thank you for pointing me in that direction.  Kudos.

Now this has me wondering if I indeed do need a separate headphone amp.  How much improvement could possibly come?  Then again, this will tether me to the 7005.  Maybe get something that can improve the signal from the imac?

Thanks so much.

EG
  Thanks cel4145. Good point that having a strong clean signal makes a difference with the phones.

Thanks also to PurpleAngel.  I may consider that option.  It's very tempting since it is very reasonably priced and the reviews here are stellar. I would have money left for an amp.  I hadn't even thought of the headphone amp on the 7005.  Have you heard from anyone about how that amp is compares to other amps?

Oct 28, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #15 of 18
  Purple Angel -  I ended up buying the HD 600's and as soon as I got them I plugged them into the 7005.  I was not so impressed.  I plugged them directly into my iMac and have been listening to Spotify through them for a couple of months.  I have enjoyed the sound. I found it to gradually improve over time thus appearing to be a "break in" of sorts.  Then I remembered about the 7005.  I plugged them into the 7005 after listening to them for that couple of months and the difference was amazing!  I mean really.  The sound was fantastic and makes me now cringe when I hear them through the iMac.  lol  The space opened up. Even on traditional CD's.  It was a strange experience of clarity and space.  The weird thing was the space seemed to be more vertical than horizontal.  It is hard to describe but whatever it is I really like it.  It handles all the volume I pump into it and sounds fantastic. Damn. The first time I did this I literally laid on the floor next to the 7005 for hours listening! My faithful canine friend Barnie at my side. I have to thank you for pointing me in that direction.  Kudos.

Now this has me wondering if I indeed do need a separate headphone amp.  How much improvement could possibly come?  Then again, this will tether me to the 7005.  Maybe get something that can improve the signal from the iMac?

Not really sure how much you would need to spend to improve audio quality, over the Marantz AV7005.
But off the top of my head, I would say to try the Bottlehead Crack (w/Speedball) headphone amplifier.
http://bottlehead.com/product/crack-otl-headphone-amplifier-kit/

Or the Little Dot MKIII tube headphone amplifier.
http://www.littledot.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=815&sid=8189f4c85e2fc0f790c535dbd7b4f5dd

You could try a Hifimediy Sabre U2 USB DAC, $65, to go between the iMac and the amp.

But I'm really just making guesses off the top of my head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back