Looking for some headphones
Nov 13, 2011 at 4:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Monsters Ink

New Head-Fier
I've been looking for some reasonably priced, full-sized and portable headphones but needed somewhere to get some good help with finding some. I want them to sound exceptionally good without overpowering bass. I have been looking at Audio-Technicas and would like it if you guys would suggest them. And remember, reasonably priced!

Nov 13, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #2 of 6

Quote:
I've been looking for some reasonably priced, full-sized and portable headphones but needed somewhere to get some good help with finding some. I want them to sound exceptionally good without overpowering bass. I have been looking at Audio-Technicas and would like it if you guys would suggest them. And remember, reasonably priced!

Set a real budget. List it. Reasonable, and price, does not go together when it comes to hifi. It's a relative relationship proportional to your acceptance is miniscule gain for massive price increase.

I assume by what you said you're ideally looking for neutral headphones that simply are good "all around" for all applications.

Some suggestions:

Open/Semi-open:

Fischer Audio FA-011
Fischer Audio FA-002
Beyer Dynamic DT880 PRO
Sennheiser HD600
Sennheiser HD598
Hifiman HE-300
Audio Technica AD900
AKG K240 MKII
Grados SR60i

Closed:

Shure SRH840
Fischer Audio FA-003
Denon D2000
AKG K272 HD
AudioTechnica A900

Pair with a soundcard like the Xonar DG ($30) if you're on a PC, otherwise, consider a separate DAC/AMP like a Matrix CUBE, Maverick TubeMagic D1, or something more portable like the Hifiman HM-101, iBasso Zero, Fiio E7, etc.

Very best,

Nov 13, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply!
I was thinking more of 40-60 dollar range, portable and nice-looking. But thanks anyway!

Samson SR850 (made by Superlux)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back