Looking for some guidance...
Sep 20, 2003 at 11:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

TopDog

New Head-Fier
About a year ago I bought a pair of Sony V6s and I love. I liked how the v6's don't leak very much sound and how they provide ok isolation. My only problem with them is that the ear pads are a little small. I want to invest in another pair of headphones. I currently listen to my V6's anywhere from 3-6 hours a day everyday. I'm a huge headphone person. I hate listening to speakers. I like to have my music isolated in headphones. I've been researching this forum and a couple other sites to find some headphones that fit what I'm looking for.

Maybe you guys can help me out; here are some of the things that I'm looking for in a pair of Headphones.....

-I'm looking for some headphones where the pads fit around my ears not sit on top of my ears or in my ears.

-I'm looking for some headphones that don’t leak very much sound...preferably non at all.

-Also I want a headphone that provides some good isolation from outside noises. I don’t want to hear people talking in my room. I also want Isolation when I go out to the Library to study.

-I mostly play my headphones out of my Sound card (Turtle Beach Santa Cruz). I also Plan on getting a Rio Karma HD mp3 player very soon. I want some headphones that wont require amplification. But this isn’t key....IF need be Ill purchase an amp for the headphones.

-I like how my Sony v6s' sound. They seem very neutral and seem to give me uncolored music. The thing I might like to have in headphones is maybe a little more bass and less harsh highs and Sound great. My music tastes include: Classical, Jazz, Classic Rock, Rock, Blues, and Some Pop.

-I really don’t have a set price limit because since I use my headphones so much I think that I can invest in a nice pair.

Sorry for the Long post. It would be great if you guys could point me in a direction in a pair of headphones that might satisfy me.
Thanks
Matt

Sep 20, 2003 at 11:38 PM Post #3 of 13
If you like Sony V6, I will suggest you the 7509, they are the bigger brother of the 7506 that supposedly are the same as the V6, it uses bigger drivers and housings, 50mm Vs 40mm on the V6, I prefer them to the V6, the sound is a little bit better, IMO, it has a little better bass extension, and highs are crisp clear, the V700DJ could be another offer (not very popular here though), but they are as uncomfortable as the V6, the next step will be CD3000 but at a more higher price, and less isolation....and for rock and jazz are perfect also....

Sep 20, 2003 at 11:55 PM Post #4 of 13
The modded Sennheiser HD280's will give you exactly they sound you are looking for, better isolation, and pads that do not touch the ears at all.

Sep 21, 2003 at 12:08 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Tyson
The modded Sennheiser HD280's will give you exactly they sound you are looking for, better isolation, and pads that do not touch the ears at all.

Hey tyson
I see in your sig. that you have the K271s and the HD280s. Which One do you like better? Does one have more isolation than the other? Does one perform better with certain kinds of musics over the other? Also how well do each of them perform on portable devices?

Sep 21, 2003 at 12:25 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by TopDog
-I like how my Sony v6s' sound. They seem very neutral and seem to give me uncolored music. The thing I might like to have in headphones is maybe a little more bass and less harsh highs and Sound great. My music tastes include: Classical, Jazz, Classic Rock, Rock, Blues, and Some Pop.

Matt,

I will deal with only one aspect of your post since it seemed to be the most important to me: If you want more bass than the V6s have you got two options:

1. Buy the Beyerdynamic DT770 or 770Pro. These are about the only things out there with more bass.

2. Buy an amp dedicated for headphones. The issue with the lack of bass could be due to the output opamp in your sound card just isn't capable of putting out enough power at the low bass, or that the impedance goes up at the low end and it just can't compensate.

Sep 21, 2003 at 12:58 AM Post #7 of 13
After modding both, my take on the 280's and 271's is this:

The 280's have a warmer sound, and are a bit more distance in the presentation of the midrange, but with very strong and tight bass. They are a lot of fun to listen to with all kinds of music, and are driven by a portable pretty well, as long as the portable has a respectable ammount of power in it's output.

The 271's are more neutral and quite a bit more detailed, more forward in their presentation (which can make things a little clausterphobing on orchestral classical music), the bass is strong and tight, and balanced more realistically than the 280's uber-bass. The 271's are also more comfortable over time. The really do need something like the Supermini amp to perform well, unless your portable has a VERY stout output section (they have very low sensitivity, in the low 90's).

To sum up, for portable use, the 280's are a better choice - they are more forgiving of a poor or average source, are more easily driven due to higher sensitivity, and have a slamming bass that is a lot of fun to listen to. For home use with good upstream equipment, the 271's just leave the 280's behind, with better tonal balance, greater transparency, and better comfort for long listening sessions. . .

Sep 21, 2003 at 1:20 AM Post #8 of 13
Thanks Tyson,

Looks like I might just have to get both of them to get the best of both worlds
biggrin.gif

Which One first....

What mods have you performed on the 280's and 271's?

Matt

Sep 21, 2003 at 2:49 AM Post #9 of 13
Sep 22, 2003 at 12:11 AM Post #10 of 13
Ive been listening to strictly jazz for the past few days on my v6's and well They have been pretty harsh on my ears. I'm planning on buying the AKG K271s...Will these be less harsh than my V6's? How do they compare to the V6's? Will the 271's give me a more full sound?

Matt

Sep 22, 2003 at 3:06 AM Post #11 of 13
You might want to look into Ultrasone 650 Trackmaster but I am not sure if it will have more bass than your v6's. Maybe DVD edition would be better for you in that respect. If comfort is an issue you could also get some beyer pads for it.

A.

Sep 22, 2003 at 5:10 AM Post #12 of 13
V6's are fuller in the bass, but less full in the mids, compared to the 271'.

Sep 22, 2003 at 5:27 AM Post #13 of 13
I like the V6's but I have nothing to compare them too....So I really dont know what a good set of headphones sounds like. I need to try some good pairs of headphones so I really know what Im talking about...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back