Looking for some good Wear out headphones
Oct 31, 2009 at 1:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

SiXAXiS

New Head-Fier
Hello (im new here, becoming somewhat of an audiophile, and shout out to thechungster from ipodtouchfans), and im looking for some headphones that looks like the Skullcandy hesh. I was going to get them, but i heard you can get better quality ones for the same price. So, i was wondering if anyone knew any headphones that look good, over ear, around $50, something good to wear out, and about a 3FT cable.

I saw some sennheisers but the cable was ridiculous (9FT)

Thanks!
biggrin.gif

Nov 4, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #3 of 16
I am going to say that although I do not know for sure, no brand really does takes the same approach to headphone design that SkullCandy does.

-Nkk

Nov 4, 2009 at 3:46 AM Post #6 of 16
It would be more appropriate to say that Skull Candy's design scheme makes people "sick"--on these forums, at least. Clearly style is in the eye of the beholder, so I'll stop lambasting. There are iFrogz "Ear Polution" cans that are just as "loud", visually speaking, that you may also like. I'm pretty sure that they will sound just as bad as what SK offers, but at least there's an option. As best I recall, they are also based out of Utah, so it could very well be the same manufacturer.

How about some freakin' fantastic Koss PortaPros? They sound amazing and they've got that "retro" thing that the kids are wigging out about in spades! Seriously.

Nov 4, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #7 of 16
I think the igrados look really awesome. But totally opposite look, they're not loud and clashing and big, they're slick and evil. Also, studio monitors like the M50 look nice, IMO because they are so classic looking. That's what I like as far as looks, someting that says utilitarian, something that has 0 style, all function.

Nov 4, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #8 of 16
I am not so sure that ScullCandy's are all that good looking to begin with - to each their own. If it is about the music that is one thing, but it is an entirely different animal when considering headphones for "fashion". It seems you have to reconcile your "somewhat-of-an-audiophile" preferences with your fashion sensibilities. I vote for keepin it real with some PortaPro's or Grados - keep it old school, and sounding well...

Nov 4, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by SiXAXiS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
becoming somewhat of an audiophile ... looking for some headphones that looks like the Skullcandy hesh.

Eugh, I'll bite. KSC75 and $30 worth of glitter and faux fur for that skullcandy look. If you can get over looks and appreciate sound more, try to find some used Grado SR60s or iGrados in the used section of the forum/ebay/whatever.

Nov 4, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Devolve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Eugh, I'll bite. KSC75 and $30 worth of glitter and faux fur for that skullcandy look. If you can get over looks and appreciate sound more, try to find some used Grado SR60s or iGrados in the used section of the forum/ebay/whatever.

lol.

ill say it once ill say it again, just get what you like. if you think skullcandy are "sick" go with it. from my short time in the audio world, it seems the people here arent "down with" skullcandy designs.

uhoh now.. here you go.

Skullcandy.com 50% off
Want a new pair of headphone/earphones? Skullcandy is offering 50% on their online store at skullcandy.com just enter the coupon: ALASKAGOLD

Nov 4, 2009 at 4:36 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by debitsohn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Skullcandy.com 50% off
Want a new pair of headphone/earphones? Skullcandy is offering 50% on their online store at skullcandy.com just enter the coupon: ALASKAGOLD

Hot faux fur.
tongue.gif

OP: I [personally] liked the k81DJ [They are $55 on amazon]. They look quite nice; not around-the-ear. Maybe the SRH240 could work. They don't look THAT bad; won't be shunned by Head-fi.
wink.gif

Nov 4, 2009 at 4:57 AM Post #12 of 16
Buy an SR-60, fake fur, and two skull rings. Take the ring part off the skull ring so all you are left with is a skull. Glue the skull onto the back of the SR-60. Finally, glue the fake fur onto the headband and you're done! I recommend this mod to anyone who is considering "upgrading" to Skullies.

Nov 4, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberidd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buy an SR-60, fake fur, and two skull rings. Take the ring part off the skull ring so all you are left with is a skull. Glue the skull onto the back of the SR-60. Finally, glue the fake fur onto the headband and you're done! I recommend this mod to anyone who is considering "upgrading" to Skullies.

ouch. lol

Nov 4, 2009 at 6:31 AM Post #14 of 16
The HD418s are lookers but I dunno if they sound good (probably better than SC). The ATH-ES7s and M50s also both look damn sexy but not really like the hesh.

Nov 4, 2009 at 6:39 AM Post #15 of 16
I compared the K81s to my HD212s and personally I like the HD212s better. both are considered to be "bassy" phones but the senns were warmer-ish (which I like) and the bass had way less distortion not to mention the
senns are more comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back