Looking for some good computer speakers < $100?
Jan 29, 2006 at 3:10 AM Post #2 of 8
While they're about $120/set here (Canadian funds, and overpriced store, mind you,) the Logitech X-530s might be a decent choice if you need surround sound. I personally don't care for them much, but they go louder than I'd ever need them to, have more than enough bass for bassheads (adjustable for those of us who are not) and have overall fairly clean sound. At low volumes, however, I find them extremely directional* (and while this could be the room I'm using them in, I doubt it.) The rear speakers are also fairly quiet. They're not exactly bad, they're just not great. For the average consumer, though, they'd be awesome. Hope that helps.

*: Granted, I don't have them set up in proper 5.1 (I don't have the room,) so that could attribute to an extremely off-sound. I know that having all the speakers on your desk (save for center channel on top) is the wrong way to go about setting stuff up, but I have no other option. Setting them up properly would make them sound better.

(And on another note: I'm hoping to ditch these at some point and go for some stereo speakers.)

Jan 29, 2006 at 5:56 AM Post #3 of 8
Sam's Club has a very good deal on Bose Media Mates. This model has been replaced by a newer version. Retail was $100. Sams sells them for $60 / pair.

Here is a picture (the ones at Sams are black, which IMO look better than the white)...

B00006AL0S.01-AIWHEFKG4HT6N._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

These are powered speakers. And best of all, they have dual inputs for both your computer and an external source [there is even a mixer to blend the two sources so you can hear system messages on the same speakers that are playing an external MP3/iPod].

They also come with two audio cables: mini-to-RCA and RCA-to-RCA.

I tried them in my home and thought they sounded great for the money.

Jan 31, 2006 at 12:25 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikoLayer
check my thread, i am pretty the aura 30 is much better than the two mentioned above, though I havnt heard either one.

It seems like an Aspect 30 + 40 combo would be a perfect solution for me.
smily_headphones1.gif
Unfortunately they're discontinued and looking for them is somewhat tough. Thanks for the suggestion!

[size=xx-small]Aria is such a great anime.[/size]

Jan 31, 2006 at 9:21 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veniogenesis
It seems like an Aspect 30 + 40 combo would be a perfect solution for me.
smily_headphones1.gif
Unfortunately they're discontinued and looking for them is somewhat tough. Thanks for the suggestion!

[size=xx-small]Aria is such a great anime.[/size]

40 isnt that great i heard, and the specs look kinda pathetic as well
frown.gif

30, on the other hand, was a true gem that I previously owned. I have no idea what caused me to let them go, but I have been looking for them ever since I came back to my senses
frown.gif
looks like meci is still carrying them, the link is in my thread.

Jan 31, 2006 at 10:53 PM Post #7 of 8
My recommendations would be the Klipsch Promedia Ultra 2.0 or Logitech Z-4. Both have MSRP's of $99.99 but the former can be found cheaper on eBay and the latter is heavily discounted at online retailers like Amazon or Buy.com.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back