Looking for some good beginner cans.
Oct 7, 2006 at 8:34 AM Post #16 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb
I think the music you listen to would lead to head and ear fires with Grado's. You need some powerful, low bass to offset all of that detailed music. Better to stay with the first recommedation: Sony MDR 7506, more commonly known as the $99 upgrade to one of the most famous studio phones made: Sony MDR V6.

Since the only difference in MDR 7506 and V6 is a gold-plated plug on the 7506, you could save your money and buy the V6. Then use the savings to add some Beyer DT250 cushion upgrades. B&H Photo sells the Beyer velour cushions as a selected accessory for the Sony V6's. They add just the right touch, and increase the comfort enough to make them equivalent to $200-$300 cans. The sound quality is already there.

Second that. Those were my first serious cans and I still have a soft spot for them (on my head as I type this...), even though quite a few other cans followed. They're built quite tough, fold to a relatively compact package and get along very well with most portable gear, so they travel with me a lot. Not the most refined sound but overall quite honest and neutral. Also one of the few phones to make a convincing attempt at bass reproduction. And with those Beyer pads they're very comfortable.

Oct 11, 2006 at 4:07 AM Post #17 of 18
Thanks everybody for the recommendations. I'm currently tossing between the Sony's and the 280's.

I'll let everybody know what I choose when I choose.

Thanks again!
280smile.gif

Oct 11, 2006 at 10:28 AM Post #18 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by TacticalFrag
Thanks everybody for the recommendations. I'm currently tossing between the Sony's and the 280's.

I'll let everybody know what I choose when I choose.

Thanks again!
280smile.gif

You're doing the right thing and not rushing into an impulse buy like I see some members do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back