Looking for some good airplane headphones for about $200...
Mar 6, 2010 at 6:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Hipstergarabe

Head-Fier
I will be going on a series of >20 hour airplane rides in the coming months (UGH), so I'm going to need a good/great pair of headphones. No IEMs, I have really sensitive ear canals so they are really painful to wear for more than 15 minutes. I have a budget of about $200, and maybe $100 for an accompanying amp (my Fiio E3 is fine with my Yuins, but...). They'd also have to sound good with an iPod as a source. If music preference is a big factor, look below to see my last.fm.

Any recommendations?

EDIT: Also, good isolation would be a massive plus

Mar 6, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2rooi123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
denon d1001

this

tried on a 5 hour flight...very comfortable.

Mar 6, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #5 of 9
SRH840 might be kind of big for portable use, but isolation is excellent. They are sufficiently driven by an ipod. I'd fathom the d1001 might be more comfy for a long flight because they are lighter. But, IMO, the Shures are a better headphone--especially at nearly the same cost.

Mar 6, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #6 of 9
Will it be a direct flight, or a few stops before the destination? One time, I had IEM in my ears and I did not hear the announce; the plane stopped, I followed others into another plane - long story short, I almost got a free 3 days vacation at Hawaii. If I had a Boss Quiet Comfort, I might hear the announce.

Mar 7, 2010 at 2:32 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by mythless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Take a look at the Senn 25-l-ll

Are they comfortable for long periods of time? Earpads usually start stop being comfortable after like an hour.

Mar 7, 2010 at 3:38 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hipstergarabe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are they comfortable for long periods of time? Earpads usually start stop being comfortable after like an hour.

These are my main travel headphones, as they isolate more than any others I have. I can wear them for 5-6 hours with no problem, and that is with wearing glasses as well. I use them for both movies and music on flights, so they can't be too uncomfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back