Looking for some final input before purchasing a WA6SE
Feb 11, 2010 at 10:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Groundzero

100+ Head-Fier
I'd like to start by saying Hello as this is my first post on Head-fi. I kept getting redirected here from other forums when I had questions about audio related products, so I eventually start lurking regularly.

Since the lurking began I bought a HT Omega Claro Halo soundcard as well as a pair of HD650s. While researching opamp upgrades for the card, I discovered the world of tube amps
biggrin.gif
After reading thread after thread of comparisons and reviews, I decided on a WA 6SE. But, there are some questions I can't seem to find definitive answers to, which I'll ask/explain below.

1. Is the premium parts package worth it? I'm having a hard time trying to justify it because I can't find a description of what it does (deepen/tightens bass, smooths out the highs etc.)

2. Being relatively new to the audiophile scene, will I be able to appreciate the difference of premium vs. stock parts? I was thinking of buying it with no upgrades, burning it in and getting to know it, then sending it back for the parts upgrade (when my wallet recovers) so I could hear the difference. Does anyone know if Woo Audio does this or would it be a special request I have to email Jack about?

My reason for asking is because I could buy the non-upgraded one in about a week's time, where as upgraded I would have to wait a few months for the funds.

3. I was planning on buying the amp, a new headphone cable, then upgrading to a USB DAC and selling my soundcard. As I was researching DACs it struck me that a external DAC might be a larger upgrade than a new cable, thus I would want to buy it before the cable. So I guess my question is what should come first? A new headphone cable or DAC?

4. Would keeping my soundcard as an RCA/digital output to an external DAC be better than selling the card and buying a USB DAC? I believe my soundcard has one of the better DAC chips so I was thinking the more reconstruction the better? I read threads about how soundcards have better digital out than onboard, and how USB out can sometimes jitter, but can't find anything on RCA out.

I apologize in advance if I asked any noob questions as I tried to find all answers myself before posting. Thank you for reading and any answers provided. I look forward to joining the head-fi community.
beerchug.gif

Feb 12, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #2 of 10
Number 4 is the only way to go if you expect to get the most from a WA6SE and some will argue that a poper transport (which includes myself) + dac or reference level CDP/DVDP is an investment well worth considering (over the long term) for that amp headphone combination.

At the very least save all cable upgrades till last (other than a decent set of IC's from the DAc to the amp), source upgrades first ( an outboard high quality DAC is a must) and amp/cans second (in your case, cable upgrades and tube upgrades). The WA6SE is a very very good amp which will scale extremely well (so will the HD650's) as you improve the quality of your sources (be it analog, computer oriented or digital spinners).

You have the makings of a terrific system as long as you give the 6SE a DAC that will do it justice. Getting in at the deep end of the pool right away means you'll have to sink or swim which means more money than you might have planned on spending. However there are plenty of mid priced DACs that should be more than adequate until you are ready to go up the ladder (in quality). Head over to the dedicated sources thread and read up on the DACs available.

Good luck and may I say you've picked a great amp/can combo to begin your head fi experience with. I'd love to have a WA6SE myself...maybe someday I will land a second hand unit but they rarely come up for sale (which should tell you something)
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Feb 12, 2010 at 3:30 AM Post #3 of 10
1.) After talking to Jack (Wu) somewhat extensively regarding this very issue when I was deciding between the WA2/WA6SE, I got the impression that while the premium parts would enhance the sonic quality of the amp, it wouldn't be something nearly as significant as getting a Princess Sofia, or even invest that extra money in a new DAC and/or HP. YMMV

3.) I'd usually say the DAC, but then I saw that you have a pair of HD650... that's a tough question to answer. What's your budget for a DAC? Claro Halo is actually a pretty nice sound card, I'm not sure if an entry level DAC such as the Zero is really a huge upgrade over it.

Feb 12, 2010 at 4:51 AM Post #4 of 10
I would venture that ultimately, you'll have to spring for a DAC in the same price range as your WA6. Something like an Audio gd Dac19mkIII will probably make a big difference in what your Woo will bring out.

Feb 12, 2010 at 5:08 AM Post #5 of 10
First of all thank you all for responding. To address your question jenneth, my DAC budget is really undecided. I set out to spend $300 on an amp and look where I am now
tongue.gif
I was originally looking at the Cambridge DacMagic, but now that Peete clarified the importance of a proper DAC, I'm reading about the PS Audio DLIII.

Feb 12, 2010 at 5:36 AM Post #6 of 10
DAC first, cables last x2

I'll go ahead and plug the Channel Islands DAC, the VDA-2, since I have one...

It's actually well regarded against pricier DACs like the Benchmark DAC1 (or at least it was a year or two ago when there were only, like, one or two Benchamark DAC1s). I like it for that fact and the fact that it's versatile... multiple inputs/outputs and you can eventually run a balanced signal from it, should you go that route. I use it to send a signal to my stock WA6 and I have no complaints.

Also, here's a plug for Blue Jeans Cables... sturdy, well made, relatively inexpensive... will get you going till you're ready for expensive cables (if ever, come to your own conclusions about cables, some call them snake-oil)

Feb 13, 2010 at 5:38 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Groundzero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd like to start by saying Hello as this is my first post on Head-fi. I kept getting redirected here from other forums when I had questions about audio related products, so I eventually start lurking regularly.

Since the lurking began I bought a HT Omega Claro Halo soundcard as well as a pair of HD650s. While researching opamp upgrades for the card, I discovered the world of tube amps
biggrin.gif
After reading thread after thread of comparisons and reviews, I decided on a WA 6SE. But, there are some questions I can't seem to find definitive answers to, which I'll ask/explain below.

1. Is the premium parts package worth it? I'm having a hard time trying to justify it because I can't find a description of what it does (deepen/tightens bass, smooths out the highs etc.)

2. Being relatively new to the audiophile scene, will I be able to appreciate the difference of premium vs. stock parts? I was thinking of buying it with no upgrades, burning it in and getting to know it, then sending it back for the parts upgrade (when my wallet recovers) so I could hear the difference. Does anyone know if Woo Audio does this or would it be a special request I have to email Jack about?

My reason for asking is because I could buy the non-upgraded one in about a week's time, where as upgraded I would have to wait a few months for the funds.

3. I was planning on buying the amp, a new headphone cable, then upgrading to a USB DAC and selling my soundcard. As I was researching DACs it struck me that a external DAC might be a larger upgrade than a new cable, thus I would want to buy it before the cable. So I guess my question is what should come first? A new headphone cable or DAC?

4. Would keeping my soundcard as an RCA/digital output to an external DAC be better than selling the card and buying a USB DAC? I believe my soundcard has one of the better DAC chips so I was thinking the more reconstruction the better? I read threads about how soundcards have better digital out than onboard, and how USB out can sometimes jitter, but can't find anything on RCA out.

I apologize in advance if I asked any noob questions as I tried to find all answers myself before posting. Thank you for reading and any answers provided. I look forward to joining the head-fi community.
beerchug.gif

i think it's best to go with stock and, if possible, only these specific upgrades:

1- ask jack to change the stock cathode caps to a Panasonic TS-ED series 470uF/200volt. (about $4 per cap; you'll need one pair)

2- also change the stock cathode bias caps to the blackgate N-series 470uF/16volts (about $14 per cap; you'll need one pair)

leave the rest as is. the stock is very very good. the premium upgrade does
provide some improvement in overall SQ but unless you're rolling in cash
you'd be the wiser spending the money on a very good DAC. everything starts
at the top of the chain, the DAC. good luck in your choices.

Feb 13, 2010 at 9:10 AM Post #9 of 10
At one stage I asked Jack about partial upgrades and he refused, but by all means ask again. Maybe he'll cave in
biggrin.gif

I concur with the general consensus - get a stock unit with a nice rectifier tube (sophia or EML mesh), and spend the rest of your budget on a DAC. I would recommend a Buffalo 32S if you can strech your finances that far, but if not a Pico DAC will suffice. That way at least you won't have to worry about the crazy amount of burn in these guys will tell you the Blackgates need
tongue.gif

Feb 13, 2010 at 10:08 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by takezo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think it's best to go with stock and, if possible, only these specific upgrades:

1- ask jack to change the stock cathode caps to a Panasonic TS-ED series 470uF/200volt. (about $4 per cap; you'll need one pair)

2- also change the stock cathode bias caps to the blackgate N-series 470uF/16volts (about $14 per cap; you'll need one pair)

leave the rest as is. the stock is very very good. the premium upgrade does
provide some improvement in overall SQ but unless you're rolling in cash
you'd be the wiser spending the money on a very good DAC. everything starts
at the top of the chain, the DAC. good luck in your choices.

The only caps on the cathodes of the output tubes are bias caps, not sure what you are asking him to change one #1 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back