Looking for some entry level headphones...
Oct 23, 2007 at 2:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

allysan

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

After much aural suffering, I've decided to take a step into higher quality audio. I'm looking for some advice on a reasonably nice set of headphones, mostly for portable music (not so much gaming), preferably ones that don't NEED an amp, but will sound better with one later.

Criteria:
~Must be in the $50-70 range. I'm in college and I'm not the most trusting individual... if these get stolen, I don't want to be out hundreds of dollars.
~Must be circumaural. I wear a hearing aid, so something that just sits on my ears won't help me much, and I do NOT want earbuds of any kind.
~I'd like some headphones that don't NEED an amp right away (but I'd like to try my hand at building one later).

I've been looking at some Sennheiser HD485 and HD205s... can anyone offer any input on these?

Thank you for your assistance!

Oct 23, 2007 at 2:55 AM Post #3 of 11
Sr-80s or Ms-1s for sure. Unless, how portable do you mean by portable? Like commuting on buses or walking at such or just bulky contraptions? In you are going to commute with them, I would say maybe audio technica a5?

Oct 23, 2007 at 3:00 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by mow_the_hawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sr-80s or Ms-1s for sure. Unless, how portable do you mean by portable? Like commuting on buses or walking at such or just bulky contraptions? In you are going to commute with them, I would say maybe audio technica a5?

By portable I mean walking/bussing around campus as well as for listening to music in my room (noise canceling to some extent would be nice and the less sound leakage the better). I guess... portability is my least important factor. I'm not TOO concerned about my headphones being too big. Comfort, however, is important and I've heard great things about Grado sound but not so much on comfort. Truth?

Oct 23, 2007 at 3:04 AM Post #5 of 11
The SR-60's come with pads that I find are quite comfy. The SR-80's and up have "bowl" shaped pads that can get uncomfortable. But if you really wanted to you could buy the 60 pads and put them on the 80's or vice versa.

They don't offer any isolation though.

Oct 23, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #6 of 11
As sad as it makes me to say this, don't get Grados
frown.gif
I really, really want to tell you to get them anyways because I love the sound, but they don't isolate at all and everyone around you hears your music. Sad day, but don't get Grados. HD280's might get down around your price range used on here. Other than that I'm not sure. Equation Audio RP-15 might be something to consider, but I've only heard the RP-21 which costs a bit more.

Oct 23, 2007 at 3:18 AM Post #8 of 11
Ah, Team Grado ignoring everything but price again.

The OP specified circumaural and gave specific reasons why it is necessary.

Audio-Technica ATH-SJ5, Equation RP-15mc, and though i am not a fan of Sony myself, MDR-V6/MDR-7506 (same thing).

Oct 23, 2007 at 10:29 AM Post #10 of 11
Yup; The Sony MDR-V6 is circumaural, closed; so somewhat isolating, costs about $70, as tough as nails for traveling and is happy without an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back