looking for some durable home/office headphones for rock/metal.
Sep 22, 2009 at 5:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Kdbolt70

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

First, I 'd like to say I apologize for making my own "Whats the best headphones I can get for $x" thread; I've done some research and want to get some opinions before I buy.

I am a relative audio noob; my brother just broke my (albeit free) creative fatal1ty headset, so I'm out of stock on a set of headphones for listening to music. I primarily will be using my headphones in a home/office setting, but occasionally I might take them on the road with my laptop/ipod nano.

I have quite an eclectic taste of music, including rap, drum & bass, choral, classical, classic rock, hard rock, but my most often-listened to genre (and therefore the one I'm most concerned with sounding right) is melodic death metal (i.e. In Flames, Dark Tranquility, etc.). I really enjoy hearing the guitar work over the bass, so I'm not overly concerned with a overpowering bass sound. When I listen to rap/bass music, its usually on my Z-2300's or in my car so I have plenty of bass.

To be honest, one of the biggest factors is durability. I've literally broken no less than 10 headphones/headsets in the last 5 years, and if I'm going to spend any amount of money on my next set, I'd like them to last a while. another thing I'm taking into consideration is isolation, as I may be using these in the office, and don't need anyone hearing me blast death metal.

I am very much a "bang-for-your-buck" kind of guy, and would rather spend $60 on a set vs $125 if the cheaper pair will easily get the job done. That said, I don't want to skimp on build quality or sound quality to settle for something cheaper. I'd say my max price is around $100-$125.

I've pieced together a few suggestions from similar threads throughout the forum, and was interested in what you guys thought of them as applied to my particular circumstance.

HD280Pro
HD555
HD228/238
MS-1
AH-D1001
SR60i/SR80i
AD700

I appreciate the input guys! If there's anything else I can answer please let me know!

Sep 22, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #2 of 21
MS-1s will offer little to no isolation, and neither will the SR60/80s, although of that list, they (Alessandro/Grado) are the most reputable for portraying metal. My 225s do an admirable job with most of my metal (especially complex guitarwork), but the cups are basically just tubes. Hence, no isolation. Sennheisers have lusher, slightly bassier sounds than Grados. While they're equal, if not greater quality headphones, they typically have a more laid-back sound, and may not offer the forwardness needed for metal. But you may like them, still.

Sep 22, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #3 of 21
If you could manage approx. $150, and if they are still in stock somewhere, I would certainly entertain the thought of getting a pair of Shure SRH-840's. (I'm sure the much cheaper SRH-440's would also do, but have yet to hear them.) They are closed and are therefore great for office listening. Most sound is blocked out, but you can hear a bit of what's around you at all times. More importantly, they will not leak sound out and annoy those in close proximity to you. The Alessandro MS-1(i) open headphones are great--amazing for rock--but leak like a spigot. They will certainly annoy your co-workers unless listened to at prohibitively low volume. Also, I'd imagine that the Shures are a stronger build than the Alessandros.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 22, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #4 of 21
I appreciate the feedback guys! Looks like I'm definitely more interested in closed headphones. I'll drop the Alessandro/Grados, How about the RX900? read some decent reviews on them; would they compare to the Senny's or D1001's? I'll also take a look at some Shure's, as I haven't done much research on them. Thanks!!

Sep 22, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #5 of 21
If you're certain on closed headphones, you can drop the AD700s. Also open, bit clunky, semi-plastic build, and not suitable for your situation.

On that note, however, it seems like Audio-Technica has a lot of closed headphones that have accentuated mids/highs, maybe there's one that suits your budget? I'm also curious as to what senior members have to say about lower-end closed AKG models in terms of sound signature. Are they as laid back/bassy as the Senns?

Sep 22, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #7 of 21
HD555 are IMO excellent with heavy guitars. I'd suggest DT880, but they are ~twice your budget.

Sep 22, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #8 of 21
I believe they are very, very sturdy. The SRH-840's will last a long time, and it helps that they also come with a replacement pair of ear pads and and that the coiled cord can be removed and replaced if accidentally damaged. (The fact that the cord is coiled is another matter, the only thing that many dislike about these 'phones. In my opinion, it is very convenient, doesn't get in the way.)

Sep 23, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #9 of 21
Thanks again for all the suggestions everyone!

I'm sitting in my office right now, with my buddy sleeping on the couch behind me. Holy crap does he snore. I am feeling increasing urgency to decide on some cans, so I can block out the thunder six feet behind me. Luckily I found my PX-100's that I got a couple years ago as a backup, but I really have to crank the volume to drown him out. Is there any accepted "best" isolation cans around my price range? Thanks again for the help all.

Sep 23, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #10 of 21
The Shures will do a pretty decent job, but will not drone him out completely. If you turn up the volume to a moderate level, that will suffice, but may be bad for your hearing later on. Have you thought of getting IEM's (in-ear monitors), perhaps? They offer the best isolation, sound great and are reasonably priced (usually). Shure makes a good variety of them. I can't remember if the OP mentioned whether or not you are opposed to IEM's.

Sep 23, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #11 of 21
I just got a pair of Ultrasone HFI-550 from Amazon about a month ago. Like you, I listen to a lot of metal, and I wasn't expecting much - but I was very impressed with what I heard. They are excellent for metal. My only issue with them is that the clamping force is a little high. BUild quality is pretty decent. And yes, they are closed. So you might want to check it out.

Sep 23, 2009 at 7:24 AM Post #13 of 21
For build quality I have yet to find anything as sturdy as a Beyer. That said, the good closed options you might look at (DT770 pro 80, DT48) may not be perfect in other ways (DT770's recessed mids, DT48's comfort issues). I would still have Beyer on the list minimally for their durability, if not their sound quality.

Sep 23, 2009 at 12:27 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Shures will do a pretty decent job, but will not drone him out completely. If you turn up the volume to a moderate level, that will suffice, but may be bad for your hearing later on. Have you thought of getting IEM's (in-ear monitors), perhaps? They offer the best isolation, sound great and are reasonably priced (usually). Shure makes a good variety of them. I can't remember if the OP mentioned whether or not you are opposed to IEM's.

I didn't specifically mention it, but I am not a fan. I have never been able to wear them for more than an hour without serious discomfort, and working in an office environment I have my headphones on and off often to talk with others, which would be a PITA with IEMs...

Quote:

Originally Posted by chud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
im seriously interested in how you manage to break so many sets.

I don't know, it just sort of happens. Many of them went during college, and often it was someone else messing with them. Other sets just busted after use and shotty build quality, like my Logitech noise canceling jobs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back