Looking for some DT770 mic mods..
Nov 23, 2010 at 11:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

lukeman3000

New Head-Fier
Hey guys. I've searched around but haven't had much luck so far (finding instructions anyways), so I thought I'd ask.

I'm looking for some DT770 mic mods that people have done. I will mainly be using mine with the Astro mixamp while playing 360, so I don't even know how the voice is handled on that thing when you're not using the mic that's built-into the A40 headphones themselves.

Can you just plug an external mic into the "pc mic" port and it works all the same? (discrete control over voice/game volume while playing 360?)

Anyways, I'm mainly interesting in some good mic mods for the DT770. I saw one that looked really slick but there were no instructions and I am horrible at doing stuff like that on my own unless I know exactly what to do.

Nov 23, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #2 of 4
I don't have a mixamp, this is just my understanding from quick searches: You need a Y-Splitter (2 Female 3.5mm Stereo --> 1 Male 3.5mm 4-Pole) to use alternative headsets with the mixamp. Plug the headphones and mic into the female and the 4-pole adapter into the main headphone jack on the mixamp. Apparently such an adapter is included with the mixamp?

As for mods, the easiest one I've done is to get industrial velcro tape; cut a piece to the size of your microphone and put one side on the microphone and another side on the headphones. You can easily detach and securely attach the microphone whenever you want. It's convenient, won't permanently modify your headphones, and just works.

The mod you linked isn't difficult either. All he did was zip-tie an extension cable to the frame of the DT-770s, which lets him plug in a mic when he needs it. But I wouldn't like having the cable always hanging from the side even with the microphone unplugged.

Nov 23, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #3 of 4

Quote:
I don't have a mixamp, this is just my understanding from quick searches: You need a Y-Splitter (2 Female 3.5mm Stereo --> 1 Male 3.5mm 4-Pole) to use alternative headsets with the mixamp. Plug the headphones and mic into the female and the 4-pole adapter into the main headphone jack on the mixamp. Apparently such an adapter is included with the mixamp?

As for mods, the easiest one I've done is to get industrial velcro tape; cut a piece to the size of your microphone and put one side on the microphone and another side on the headphones. You can easily detach and securely attach the microphone whenever you want. It's convenient, won't permanently modify your headphones, and just works.

The mod you linked isn't difficult either. All he did was zip-tie an extension cable to the frame of the DT-770s, which lets him plug in a mic when he needs it. But I wouldn't like having the cable always hanging from the side even with the microphone unplugged.

Very interesting - I wonder if it matters which of the 3.5 plugs off of the Y-splitter you plug the headphones into, and which you plug the mic into? I would think that it would..

After searching around some more, I found this mic mod for the DT770. Looks pretty pro huh? I would be more inclined to do something like this because it looks like all he has to do is lift that little bracket off of the hinge to remove the mic assembly. Pretty sweet..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back