Looking for some desktop computer speakers. I would appreciate some recommendations.
Feb 8, 2015 at 10:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Airwolf

Head-Fier
I generally use headphones when I am at my computer because I live in a condominium complex and my neighbors pound on the ceiling if my cat farts too loud.  I do, however, have the need for some speakers every once in a while; usually when friends are over.  As the speakers will only be used occasionally, I am hoping not to drop more than about $100 on the setup.  The speakers would need to be self powered.  I know it is a bit absurd, especially among audiophiles, but I would like something that would compliment the minimalist look of my desk, if at all possible.  That being said, if that is not possible, I'll take the ugliest speakers imaginable and be happy as long as they sound good.  I would prefer to have a 2.0 setup, as I won't be able to use the subwoofer anyways.  I have been eyeballing the Harman Kardon Soundsticks III, as they are being sold directly from Harman Kardon on eBay for $99 shipped factory refurb, full warranty.  I am assuming these speakers look better than they sound, but I really do like the aesthetic of them and from what I have read, the sound is passable.  Barring that, I really like the look of natural wood, such as the Audioengine P4.  I almost feel dirty being concerned with aesthetics when it comes to this, but it never hurts to ask.  Soooo...can anybody suggest a set of speakers that may fit my tall order?

Here are some pictures of my desk to give an idea of where the speakers would be sitting:

Feb 8, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #2 of 5
  I do, however, have the need for some speakers every once in a while; usually when friends are over.

What activities will you use the speakers for? If it's just background music while they're there you can just get a Bluetooth speaker from Amazon for around $50; that way they can even play whatever they have on their smartphones.

Feb 9, 2015 at 6:09 AM Post #3 of 5
The speakers would mostly be for playing computer games.  I have a home theater w/ HTPC for most other activities.  I would prefer something I could just hook up to the pre-amp outputs of my Asgard 2, so I don't have to switch around cables.

Feb 9, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #4 of 5
  The speakers would mostly be for playing computer games.  I have a home theater w/ HTPC for most other activities.  I would prefer something I could just hook up to the pre-amp outputs of my Asgard 2, so I don't have to switch around cables.

Mono price has one with a 3in driver; for $80 I'd sooner get this than the Audioengine A2 at $200, even if I hadn't heard the Monoprice yet (I have heard the A2, and it is not worth $200 unless your primary requirement is that it has to be tiny). In any case if it's mostly for games this is likely better than PC speakers at that price point, albeit without a subwoofer.

Feb 9, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #5 of 5
Very small speakers for $100? Can't expect much.

Bigger than you want, but I'd suggest getting a pair of these passive Miccas; http://www.amazon.com/Micca-MB42X-Bookshelf-Speakers-Tweeter/dp/B00E7H8GG2/ Then add a t-amp for power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back