Looking for some decent IEMs around 100$ (solved)
Jun 28, 2016 at 6:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 60

Rainmaker91

100+ Head-Fier
So, as of late I have been getting mroe and more concerned about the sound I get from my portable headphones. while I used to think that my Sennheiser CX400II sound great, I have come to the realization that the sharp highs and the somewhat overwhelming bass is simply not what I prefer. I own a selection of older sub 100$ IEMs none of them actually sound the way I want them to, as I have realized that I'm far more fond of a well balanced headphone than the coloured ones I have used before. I'm sort of struggeling finding a fitting pair as well since IEMs isn't something that I usually are able to test before buying. I would love to hear what you guys prefer and what you think.

So for a bit more information on what I currently have and don't like:

- Sennheiser CX400II, these used to sound great but has always had a fairly sharp trebble which is somewhat uncomfortable to listen to

- Beyer Dynamic DTX80, an old pair and definatly the best sounding pair I have except they are worn out and one of the drivers doesn't work properly anymore. Still would like something a bit better thoug.

- Harman/Kardon AE, WAY to much bass and somewhat uncomfortable to wear.

So as to what I actually like, I would have to refer to a couple of over ear headphones:

- AKG K551, great mids and trebble (a bit to sharp, but since they are large cans I modded them to fix that). A lot of great detail in tracks on these ones.

- Beyer Dynamic DT990 Pro 250Ohm, these are the newest adition to the "collection" and so far my favorite. They lack a bit on the detail level of the AKGs, but are over all more pleasant to listen to.

As to what I have been looking at:

- Sennheiser Momnetum in ear:These get good reviews all over, but I can't shake te feeling that they will just not be something for me. After all I really don't like the sound of over ear Momentums.

- Shure SE215: Probably the ones I would like the best, but since I havent tested them I really wouldn't have a clue.

I would love to hear what you guys think.

Jun 28, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #2 of 60
If I were looking for IEMs around 100 dollars I would start looking at the Trinity Audio Delta or RHA MA 750i. I've also heard the Audio Technica IM70s are good for the price.

Edit: A third party seller on Amazon is selling the Flare Audio R2As for 120 bucks which is a steal and is probably the most balanced among the IEMs I've mentioned. I own the R2 Pros and they're my favorite IEMs.

Jun 28, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #3 of 60
If I were looking for IEMs around 100 dollars I would start looking at the Trinity Audio Delta or RHA MA 750i. I've also heard the Audio Technica IM70s are good for the price.

Edit: A third party seller on Amazon is selling the Flare Audio R2As for 120 bucks which is a steal and is probably the most balanced among the IEMs I've mentioned. I own the R2 Pros and they're my favorite IEMs.

I'll have a look at them, unfortunately I'm not going to be able to order from amazon as the price would be way to high after customs and taxes. It's unfortunate, but ti's one of the negatives of not living in a country directly covered by amazon (I live in Norway, so it's neither coverd as part of the EU nor by Amazon US).

It's godd to get as many alternatives as possible though, and I'm fairly fond of buying stuff from sales so it woul not be bad knowing about decent ones in the 150$ range either :p

Edit: I checked and I can't get any trinity audio stuff here, and the only Audio technica IEMs I can find are in the CK series. The RHA ones are avialable though at almost exactly 100$, how do these sound? It's unfortunate really, but most smaller brands (although excelent) don't seem to be readily available here.

Jun 28, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #4 of 60
  I'll have a look at them, unfortunately I'm not going to be able to order from amazon as the price would be way to high after customs and taxes. It's unfortunate, but ti's one of the negatives of not living in a country directly covered by amazon (I live in Norway, so it's neither coverd as part of the EU nor by Amazon US).

It's godd to get as many alternatives as possible though, and I'm fairly fond of buying stuff from sales so it woul not be bad knowing about decent ones in the 150$ range either :p

Edit: I checked and I can't get any trinity audio stuff here, and the only Audio technica IEMs I can find are in the CK series. The RHA ones are avialable though at almost exactly 100$, how do these sound? It's unfortunate really, but most smaller brands (although excelent) don't seem to be readily available here.

Wait but isn't Norway a member of the the European Free Trade Association? Where all merchandise stuff circulates freely? If so, you could buy from Amazon ES, UK, FR, IT and DE.

Anyway i highly recommend the Trinity Audio Delta V2, it has different filters so you can adjust the bass and treble. The resolution is great with these too. So far they are my favorite iems because they're really versatile. There is a review of them by Brooko here and also tons of impressions on the Delta V-II thread (kind of huge i know).
They have a website too, worth to check it as well: link
Btw Trinity Audio has the best customer support i've ever seen, if you ever have any question or problem, e-mail Bob (trinity's owner), he's really helpful
smily_headphones1.gif

I had the SE215 but i didn't like them one bit, i was really excited before i had them but they weren't what i was expecting at all. So muddy, and the bass wasn't right for me. Anyway this is really subjective so if you have a chance to try them please do.

Hope it helps :) check them out.

Jun 28, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #5 of 60
  Wait but isn't Norway a member of the the European Free Trade Association? Where all merchandise stuff circulates freely? If so, you could buy from Amazon ES, UK, FR, IT and DE.

Anyway i highly recommend the Trinity Audio Delta V2, it has different filters so you can adjust the bass and treble. The resolution is great with these too. So far they are my favorite iems because they're really versatile. There is a review of them by Brooko here and also tons of impressions on the Delta V-II thread (kind of huge i know).
They have a website too, worth to check it as well: link
Btw Trinity Audio has the best customer support i've ever seen, if you ever have any question or problem, e-mail Bob (trinity's owner), he's really helpful
smily_headphones1.gif

I had the SE215 but i didn't like them one bit, i was really excited before i had them but they weren't what i was expecting at all. So muddy, and the bass wasn't right for me. Anyway this is really subjective so if you have a chance to try them please do.

Hope it helps :) check them out.

Actually we are part of the European Economic Area, so kind of... in reality I have to pay 25% extra in taxes on all imported goods (in theory I should not pay taxes to the original country, but in reality I end up paying Norwegian taxes on top of the original one). Then there is the fact hat any goods I buy in Norway is covered under the buyers law which essentially gives me a 5 year warranty on anything I buy. So while I can absolutely buy things from other countries, it's simply not a smart decision unless the wares are significantly cheaper outside of the country (like when the dollar was weak), or something of similar quality is not available here. I will order from out of country if the difference in quality or price is large enough, but at the moment it's just far more practical to buy stuff from whithin the country.

So… yeah that about sums it up really.

I'll head to a store tomorrow or on Thursday to ask if I can listen to the RHS and the SE215. Hopefully I can take a listen and make up my mind whether or not I actually like the sound.

Edit: If I could try them beforehand I would love to order the Trinity, as they seem stellar. Any idea how they compare to others at the same price point or lets say 125GBP if I can't get the tax subtracted? I'll contact them directly and hear if I can get the tax reomoved since I will be ordering from out of country.

Jun 29, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #6 of 60
After looking a bit more on the Trinity ones I see they would likely be my best bet of tailoring the headphones to my device and what songs I listen to. I also got an answer from Trinity and they fix it so that I only pay VAT once rather than twice as I was expecting to do.

So I look forward to getting these things, they look amazing.

Jun 29, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #7 of 60
  After looking a bit more on the Trinity ones I see they would likely be my best bet of tailoring the headphones to my device and what songs I listen to. I also got an answer from Trinity and they fix it so that I only pay VAT once rather than twice as I was expecting to do.

So I look forward to getting these things, they look amazing.

I hope you like them as much as I do (if you decide to buy them) 
biggrin.gif
 are you thinking about the deltas or another model?

Jun 29, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #8 of 60
I was actually thinking of the Senn Momentum in ears when i saw your title but then I saw that you rejected them at the beginning haha.
If you like a more warm, boomy, bass-centric sound then i would recommend the SE215, but otherwise if you want something that has more of a crisper clearer high end with tighter bass  I would say the Senn Momentum in ears are a great choice.

Jun 30, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #9 of 60
  I was actually thinking of the Senn Momentum in ears when i saw your title but then I saw that you rejected them at the beginning haha.
If you like a more warm, boomy, bass-centric sound then i would recommend the SE215, but otherwise if you want something that has more of a crisper clearer high end with tighter bass  I would say the Senn Momentum in ears are a great choice.

I was actually looking at the momentums, but some mixed reviews from non mainstream sites gave me a bit of a pause on them. Coupled with the fact that I really don't enjoy the sound that regular Momentums make (the large cans), I figured I would at least ask before I pulled the trigger. They may very well be good, and I know a lot of people enjoy their Sennheisers. In fact I have been very pleased with a lot of their budget models.

I hope you like them as much as I do (if you decide to buy them) 
biggrin.gif
 are you thinking about the deltas or another model?

As for which one I ended up with, I just put in an order for the Trinity - Delta Hybrid V-II. I also considered the Trinity - Phantom Masters 4 due to their current price cut for pre-orders, but I figured I was better off getting something people have experience with and that I wouldn't have to wait until July-August to get. Although I see the pre-order period ends today, so... yeah.

Jun 30, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #10 of 60
I was actually looking at the momentums, but some mixed reviews from non mainstream sites gave me a bit of a pause on them. Coupled with the fact that I really don't enjoy the sound that regular Momentums make (the large cans), I figured I would at least ask before I pulled the trigger. They may very well be good, and I know a lot of people enjoy their Sennheisers. In fact I have been very pleased with a lot of their budget models.

As for which one I ended up with, I just put in an order for the Trinity - Delta Hybrid V-II. I also considered the Trinity - Phantom Masters 4 due to their current price cut for pre-orders, but I figured I was better off getting something people have experience with and that I wouldn't have to wait until July-August to get. Although I see the pre-order period ends today, so... yeah.

I forgot to mention that headfi users can use the discount code which allows them to have a 20% discount on them. The code is HEADFIMEMBERS01 and you have to mention your username in special instructions to the seller.

I'm really sorry that i didn't mention this, i didn't remember at that time. If you didn't use the code email them and they will refund you the excess amount, they did it to me when i forgot to put it too :)

Jun 30, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #11 of 60
I forgot to mention that headfi users can use the discount code which allows them to have a 20% discount on them. The code is HEADFIMEMBERS01 and you have to mention your username in special instructions to the seller.

I'm really sorry that i didn't mention this, i didn't remember at that time. If you didn't use the code email them and they will refund you the excess amount, they did it to me when i forgot to put it too
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll see if they let me get that off then, they already subtracted 20£ for the VAT so...

Jun 30, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #13 of 60
Dunu Titan series

Jul 1, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #14 of 60
  Dunu Titan series

Those look quite decent actually, probably would still hvae gone for Trinity Delta though due to the versatility in the filters.

Well try it anyway, you got nothing to lose 
smily_headphones1.gif
 again, i'm really sorry i didn't mention it before :x

You know what... The guys at Trinity are freaking legends in my book at this point. Not only did they agree to sell without VAT (I'm getting 25% VAT on import anyways), but they even refunded me the 20% off. Meaning I got the Trinity Deltas for a whopping 63£ (Granted it's still going to be 83£ after the local VAT is added since the price marked on the item is 79£, but thats still awesome), they simply deliver customer service unlike anything I have seen so far. Normally I owuld have to pay the VAT in the country that I order for and then pay a full 25% on top of that, and the fact that I got around that is just awesome in my book 
L3000.gif

Oh and don't sweat it, it's not like you have an obligation to tell me anything. The fact that you did though is most certainly a pluss in my book 
regular_smile .gif

Jul 1, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #15 of 60
  Those look quite decent actually, probably would still hvae gone for Trinity Delta though due to the versatility in the filters.

You know what... The guys at Trinity are freaking legends in my book at this point. Not only did they agree to sell without VAT (I'm getting 25% VAT on import anyways), but they even refunded me the 20% off. Meaning I got the Trinity Deltas for a whopping 63£ (Granted it's still going to be 83£ after the local VAT is added since the price marked on the item is 79£, but thats still awesome), they simply deliver customer service unlike anything I have seen so far. Normally I owuld have to pay the VAT in the country that I order for and then pay a full 25% on top of that, and the fact that I got around that is just awesome in my book 
L3000.gif

Oh and don't sweat it, it's not like you have an obligation to tell me anything. The fact that you did though is most certainly a pluss in my book 
regular_smile%20.gif

Like i said, great customer support 
biggrin.gif
 when you get to try them, please tell me if you like them 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back