Looking for some decent closed headphones, $600 budget.
Aug 24, 2017 at 8:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

matthewh133

Headphoneus Supremus
I currently have the HE-400 and mini Schiit stack in storage, and I love that combo. Unfortunately, I'm pretty much living on the road now for work and as such I'm looking for a decent closed headphone to run out of my MacBook Pro with AudioQuest Dragonfly or my iPhone with DAP.

I listen to most post-rock (Sigur Ros, This Will Destory You etc), hip-hop (Schoolboy Q, Tyler the Creator etc) , folk (Iron and Wine, Gregory Alan Isakov etc) and rock/metal (Violent Soho, Vector etc)... so something that can handle a mixture of genres is ideal. I really like the HE-400 for this.

My budget is somewhere around $600. Any recommendations?

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #2 of 46
Check MassDrop for there latest Fostex Xx issue. I have both the Ebony and Purple Heart and there both pretty good and we're in the $400 range if I remember. I just managed to snag a pair of Mr Speakers Ether C for $710 on EBay and they were in near perfect condition. A great closed headphone that lists for around $1400 new. It's a little over your budget but there a steal at that price. Gen 1 Th-900 keep falling in price. If your ok with slightly used EBay and Audiogon are great sources if you research prices and bid carefully. Hope this helps.

Today just for grins I put my 10 year old Audio Technica Ath-W1000 on for this first time in years. Wow, I was impressed.

Good luck and enjoy.

Aug 24, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #3 of 46
I currently have the HE-400 and mini Schiit stack in storage, and I love that combo. Unfortunately, I'm pretty much living on the road now for work and as such I'm looking for a decent closed headphone to run out of my MacBook Pro with AudioQuest Dragonfly or my iPhone with DAP.

I listen to most post-rock (Sigur Ros, This Will Destory You etc), hip-hop (Schoolboy Q, Tyler the Creator etc) , folk (Iron and Wine, Gregory Alan Isakov etc) and rock/metal (Violent Soho, Vector etc)... so something that can handle a mixture of genres is ideal. I really like the HE-400 for this.

My budget is somewhere around $600. Any recommendations?
Mitchell & Johnson MJ2 or JP1. Closed back, 32 ohm efficient, electret with dynamic bass driver. Reviews on Head-Fi and Headphonics.

Aug 27, 2017 at 7:18 AM Post #8 of 46
Seconding the massdrop fostexes though with the note that you may end up wanting to change the pads from stock depending on how they fit your ears, so potentially take that into account for budget

Should be noted that the fostexes do leak more than average for a closed if privacy is a concern

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2017 at 7:49 AM Post #10 of 46
I too enjoy my Sony Z7's very much, though I'm quite certain that the Shure 1540's are more isolating both ways.
The Sony's are certainly made nicer, and might sound a bit better than the Shure 1540's (IMO)
but if sound isolation + sound quality are what you're after in this price range, I would be remiss if
I didn't steer you towards the Shure's.

Aug 27, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #12 of 46
Sennheiser 598c I hear is pretty darn good for under $150. Sometimes comes down to $100. If I see it at $100, I'll buy it for sure. Read they have a good seal. But I hardly ever listen to closed cans, which is why I'm willing to consider such a cheap one. I had to spend hours at a hospital recently and brought some open cans along and just couldn't enjoy the music because of all the noise. Definitely need closed for those occasions.

Aug 27, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #14 of 46
I'm in the same market as you and these are what I consider my options: Oppo PM-3 $400, Shure 1540 $500, Fostex 610 $550, Audeze EL-8 Closed $700 (often on sale for $600),
Beyerdynamic DT-1770 Pro - $585, Audioquest Nightowl $635. Prices are the lowest I've found with a cursory search.

I'm sure there are others I've overlooked. I've heard none of these and have no way to test them where I live so I'll be buying blind and hoping for the best. I'm probably going to buy the EL-8's.

Edited to correct omissions.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back