looking for some closed cans for ~$100
Mar 21, 2007 at 1:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

jnev

100+ Head-Fier
as the title indicates, I'm looking for some closed cans for around $100. for now I won't be using an amp, the output will be straight out of my laptop (compal hel80). I listen to a lot of rock and power/prog metal. I'd love to get something that sounds like grados as I listened to some sr60's and loved them, I just need something closed for college.

thanks!

EDIT

just wanted to add that later I *may* be getting a pcmcia sound card and/or an amp, but for now I want the cans to sound good straight out of the laptop...

Mar 21, 2007 at 2:23 AM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by mastercheif /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your only choice is basicly the AKG 81-DJ, not that it is a bad choice!

wont those sound terrible after listing to grados?

Mar 21, 2007 at 3:32 AM Post #5 of 18
thanks for the replies, I'll check out those AKGs you recommended. from what I've heard (not personal experience however) sennheiser is better for more classical music and guitar, not so much metal.

any other suggestions?

Mar 21, 2007 at 3:45 AM Post #6 of 18
The k81 is probably your best bet in that price range.

I listen to mostly rock/metal, and the grado's are alot better for it, but there aren't really any closed phones that will sound like a grado.

k81's are just very bass heavy, and imo have recessed mids making them less than ideal for rock, but nonetheless still useable.

Mar 21, 2007 at 4:44 AM Post #7 of 18
bah.. that's what I was afraid of, that closed headphones would sound a lot worse than open ones like grados.

maybe I'll just end up getting the sr60's and deal with loud people around me... at least when it's quiet I'll be a lot happier than I would be otherwise
rs1smile.gif

Mar 21, 2007 at 12:48 PM Post #8 of 18
For $100 I have to strongly recommend that you try and find a pair of Equation RP-21 cans to listen to before you jump.

Yes, you've never heard of this brand. No, nobody but me on this forum has ever heard them. Yes, the earcups are orange.

But they're good. For the $120 retail / $99 online price, they're really, really good.

I haven't heard the K81DJ, but I have listened to my DT-770 Pro/80 for thousands of hours. The RP-21's hold their own extremely well vs. the beyers, especially considering the price difference.

Specifically, the mids on the Equation cans are a little clearer and crisper than the DT-770. The highs are pretty much the same. The low-end doesn't has quite as much extension as the DT-770 but is otherwise fairly similar.

Go here: http://www.equationaudio.com/Dealers/usa.htm

Find a dealer, go listen to them. I am quite comfortable in stating that these are some of the best sub-$150 circum-aural closed cans anywhere, especially considering that many online vendors sell them for $99.

If you live near Toledo OH, I know a dealer 20 minutes or so south of Toledo who i can probably talk into giving you the web price rather than the regular retail price.

Mar 21, 2007 at 12:56 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For $100 I have to strongly recommend that you try and find a pair of Equation RP-21 cans to listen to before you jump.

Yes, you've never heard of this brand. No, nobody but me on this forum has ever heard them. Yes, the earcups are orange.

But they're good. For the $120 retail / $99 online price, they're really, really good.

I haven't heard the K81DJ, but I have listened to my DT-770 Pro/80 for thousands of hours. The RP-21's hold their own extremely well vs. the beyers, especially considering the price difference.

Specifically, the mids on the Equation cans are a little clearer and crisper than the DT-770. The highs are pretty much the same. The low-end doesn't has quite as much extension as the DT-770 but is otherwise fairly similar.

Find a dealer, go listen to them. I am quite comfortable in stating that these are some of the best sub-$150 circum-aural closed cans anywhere, especially considering that many online vendors sell them for $99.

If you live near Toledo OH, I know a dealer 20 minutes or so south of Toledo who i can probably talk into giving you the web price rather than the regular retail price.

Interesting, could you write a full review on these cans?

Mar 21, 2007 at 1:10 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by lt.milo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting, could you write a full review on these cans?

I'm working on it. I got together with my friend who's owned a pair for a couple weeks, brought my M^3 amp, my DT-770's, and just for kicks, my Realistic (nee Audio-Technica) Pro 30 orthodynamics.

I need to bug my friend to get me the pictures we took, and i should probably spend a little more time with them.

Mar 21, 2007 at 1:16 PM Post #11 of 18
Another vote for the HD280s. The music library at my university had these headphones to rent out so I was able to try them out a few years back and I was very impressed. They don't sound very much like the SR60s, in that exciting way that Grados often sound, but the HD280s are dead-accurate and provide a very clean, technical sound.

Mar 21, 2007 at 1:48 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

I'm working on it. I got together with my friend who's owned a pair for a couple weeks, brought my M^3 amp, my DT-770's, and just for kicks, my Realistic (nee Audio-Technica) Pro 30 orthodynamics.

I need to bug my friend to get me the pictures we took, and i should probably spend a little more time with them.

I just took a look at them at there site and I must say I quite like them. Nice studio look to them nice color, and I bet they sound great. Im gonna go with the Equation RP21.

Mar 21, 2007 at 1:54 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

I just took a look at them at there site and I must say I quite like them. Nice studio look to them nice color, and I bet they sound great. Im gonna go with the Equation RP21.

Mar 21, 2007 at 2:15 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

hmm, thanks for the suggestion. there's a dealer fairly close to me (not in OH, but thanks for the offer nonetheless) that I'll go to to check them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back