Looking for some close back portable suggestions for travel
Feb 21, 2016 at 3:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

mld218

Head-Fier
Hello,

I am looking for some closed back over ear or on ear suggestions.   I am looking to use these primarily in a mobile setting and mostly for airplane travel and at work in a private setting so I am mostly concerned with sound leakage.   I am not looking to amp my devices so I would be looking for something easy to drive as well.   In terms of cost I am looking to spend about 300 will go slightly higher if I have to.

I do have a pair of shure 535's that I am currently using for travel and in the office but I would like to try something else if I can hit the price point with good sound and little to no sound leakage so as not to disturb others.

Thanks for any suggestions
Mike 

Feb 21, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #2 of 7
If you're looking to have reasonable SQ, but more importantly block the ambient sound of travel, my recommendation would be to go and audition the Bose QC25.  Superbly comfortable, and the active noise cancelling is amazing.  I have a lot of IEMs at my disposal, and some of them are high isolators with very good SQ.  But for air travel (I do a lot of long haul), I pretty much use the QC25 exclusively now.

Suggest you audition first if you can.

Feb 21, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #4 of 7
That would depend how loud you like to listen.  But use this as an idea.  You're on a flight with a lot of background noise.  The noise cancellation virtually takes all of this away, so you don't have to have the volume at a high level.  To other passengers around you, who are coping with that same ambient noise - they are unlikely to hear your music because of the combination of the jet noise and also the lower level you are likely to be listening at.

When my family are home later, I'll try them out at normal listening levels in a quiet room and see if I can give you an idea of that as well.

Feb 22, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #5 of 7
Based on a suggestion I read in another post a while back, I was wondering if having the Shure SE535 connected to a DAP and the Bose QC25 with ANC on and no cable over the SE535 cause interference.

Feb 22, 2016 at 9:29 PM Post #6 of 7

I am looking for some closed back over ear or on ear suggestions.   I am looking to use these primarily in a mobile setting and mostly for airplane travel and at work in a private setting so I am mostly concerned with sound leakage.   I am not looking to amp my devices so I would be looking for something easy to drive as well.   In terms of cost I am looking to spend about 300 will go slightly higher if I have to.

The Oppo PM-3 is a very good mobile, closed-back h/p that doesn't need external amplification. Tyll Hertsens of Inner Fidelity has it on his Wall of Fame. He recently sent Bob Katz a boxful of some of the best mid-price cans to review; Bob was seriously under-impressed by most, but gushed about the PM-3, and only the PM-3. (Bob's review here.) 

It's $399, but it's also a headphone you might reach for often, even when you're home and have all your choices available. I do.

But it does not have active noise cancellation like the Bose QC25, for those hours when you're actually on a plane. With the PM-3, the plane rumble is somewhat muted, but you're definitely still aware it's there.

HTH

Feb 23, 2016 at 5:42 AM Post #7 of 7
Based on a suggestion I read in another post a while back, I was wondering if having the Shure SE535 connected to a DAP and the Bose QC25 with ANC on and no cable over the SE535 cause interference.

Shouldn't do - although the Shures isolate reasonably well enough to forget about using the QC25 anyway.  I turned on our rangehood, used my Adel U6 IEMs, and put the QC25 over the top - and it worked really well.  Might try it again next time I do a long haul.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back