looking for some audiophile adivice
May 9, 2010 at 1:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

AdnanHfuda

New Head-Fier
Tired of skullcandies breaking on me, i liked the sound of the full metal jackets i had until they broke on me. any tips on what in ear headphones i should get that sound like that but wont bust on me for a very long time? currently considering the monster turbines

May 9, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #13 of 21
To answer your question, for us engineering student, impedance is not exactly resistance. It is a complex sum, where the real part of it is resistance. The imaginary part represents the phase shift. The imaginary part has relation to w (omega), which is the frequency. According to wiki, the phase shift is the phase difference between current and voltage.

There is a whole field of knowledge on this matter, and how you use components like capacitors and inductor couple with resistors to create a low pass/bandpass/highpass filter (those will form the crossovers you often see in speakers and IEM)

You can read up this on wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_impedance

Usually, like what others have mentioned before, higher impedance makes the earphone/headphone harder to drive. I have heard people saying that using higher impedance smooth out the freq response curve and other things, but until you really study this in an electro-acoustic class, they should be taken with a grain of salt.

May 9, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #14 of 21
oh, and just as an FYI your SK might have been breaking because you where being rough on them (wrapping around mp3 player, shoving in pockets, etc). so what ever you end up getting make sure to use the case they come with, or buy one if they don't come with one; and treat those wires nicely :wink:

May 9, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #15 of 21
I demoed my brothers skullcandys and they were really bad. Way to much emphasis on the bottom end. They didnt even play the highs either.

I would go for the Turbines or S4's for bass. I had the S4's and they had tons of bass. I just ordered the Monster Turbine Pro Golds which should be here tomorrow though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back