Looking for some advice.
May 30, 2004 at 2:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

shuurajou

100+ Head-Fier
Hi folks.

At the moment, I own a pair of HD600's, and have done for quite some time. This is the setup I have at the moment.

The source of all my music tends to come from my computer, which has an internal audigy 2 card (boo I hear you all say). I then have the output from the soundcard going into my stereo, in which I have my headphones plugged into.

Now, I understand that the Hd600's only truely sound to their best with an amp. I, at the moment, aside from my stereo, have no headphone amp.

I was wondering what you folks would recommend, as the next step to get the most out of my headphones. I'm prepaired to take the stereo out of the equation. As the only reason it's in there is I believed that it may provide a form of amplification.

Would be great if anybody could recommend some specific equipment. I'm not wanting to spend $1000's, but, a variety would be nice.

Thanks in advance for any advice
smily_headphones1.gif

May 30, 2004 at 3:01 AM Post #2 of 14
This should've been posted at Amp forum (not headphone).

So what is your STEREO? Tell us what you don't like about it. You gotta throw us some bones here to work with
wink.gif
If you can provide us your budget and type of music you listen, we can probably provide you with a better advise.

Have you read this yet? http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=69613 Using Audigy, sensible recommendation would be $$-fi amp or may be $$$-fi (if you have money) from the list.

May 30, 2004 at 3:08 AM Post #3 of 14
I personally listen to all types of music. Apart from rap
wink.gif

Don't laugh, when I tell you my stereo is an old Sharp MD-X5. One of the first sytems that had minidisc, very old.

Budget, I'm not too bothered about. I'll save up a little if needed. I'd much rather cut out the stereo and just get an amp that I could use with my Sound Card (replace the soundcard later, I know audigy is crap for music really).

It's not that, I don't like what I already have, it's just I know that I can get much better out of these headphones. I was used to plantronics stuff before these babys, so you can imagine how amazing these must sound to me, but I want to get some of their potential from them.

But, I don't want to go into the $$$$'s in one piece of equipment. But $$$'s is just fine.

Thanks!

May 30, 2004 at 3:16 AM Post #4 of 14
If it were me, I would concentrate on the source first. How do you feel about this? If you would consider it, would you want to go computer based or separate player?

May 30, 2004 at 3:20 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
If it were me, I would concentrate on the source first. How do you feel about this? If you would consider it, would you want to go computer based or separate player?

Well, I find a computer far more convenient for me at the moment, I've heard the emu sound cards are great, but I was thinking of getting an amp for some time now. I understand to upgrade my system, into a system with individual components would cost alot more.

May 30, 2004 at 4:03 PM Post #6 of 14
Any idea's?
600smile.gif

May 30, 2004 at 4:56 PM Post #7 of 14
I'm a big Jan Meier and Headroom's fan. So I would recommend Corda HA-1 (MKII) or Headroom's Little. Also Gilmore Lite should be good too. Of course the problem is they only amplify what they were fed (gabage in -> gabage out). I don't want to say that Audigy is horrible, but let's just say there are better sounding cards out there (I too guilty of own Audigy too... among many sound cards). How about USB-AMP combo? The Headroom's Total Bit Head combines both amp and soundcard, but sound isn't as good as quality audio soundcard/DAC-dedicated amp setup. Frankly a simple Toshiba DVD/CD player under $100 will equal or out perform MOST of soundcards (especially Audigy).

May 30, 2004 at 7:08 PM Post #8 of 14
Okay.

So, at the moment with my setup, I would be best getting the amp: CORDA HA-1 MkII, or a Headroom little. Any particular benefit
to either of these? And is there availability in the UK, rather than shipping from over-sea's.

I assume I'd run the phono's that I run normally from my Audigy 2 into my stereo, directly into the AMP at the rear and then so on and so forth. Basically what I'm doing now but replacing stereo with AMP.

With HD600's properly amplified, do you think that they would be better than ATH-A900's for gaming?

Thanks for all the advice guys, this is great.

May 30, 2004 at 11:11 PM Post #9 of 14
For around 300-400 (USD), I sort of like Corda (this is subjective) more. To me it has a cleaner and more detailed sound than Headroom's similarily priced product. Check Meier Audio (link is located on top of this page). They are located in Europe and will ship to UK (over the water but not as far as if it was to ship from USA). I would check the used market (for sales forum here first) since it can save you over one hundred dollars.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shuurajou
Okay.

So, at the moment with my setup, I would be best getting the amp: CORDA HA-1 MkII, or a Headroom little. Any particular benefit
to either of these? And is there availability in the UK, rather than shipping from over-sea's.

I assume I'd run the phono's that I run normally from my Audigy 2 into my stereo, directly into the AMP at the rear and then so on and so forth. Basically what I'm doing now but replacing stereo with AMP.

With HD600's properly amplified, do you think that they would be better than ATH-A900's for gaming?

Thanks for all the advice guys, this is great.

May 30, 2004 at 11:44 PM Post #10 of 14
I'll give another recommendation for the Corda HA-1 MK2. Excellent build quality and great sound for that price, no weaknesses with any music at all!
I'm not a Sennheiser guy, but even I liked the HD600s with the Corda
wink.gif

I doubt you'll be disappointed.

-Taurui

Edit: The Corda will be shipped from germany, so at least it's not overseas (the big pond, that is)

May 30, 2004 at 11:49 PM Post #11 of 14
I agree, sounds like the next best step really. Wondering if I should go directly from audigy to the amp, or through the stereo from audigy, then from stereo to amp.

I'm suspecting the latter would be worse?

May 31, 2004 at 12:49 AM Post #12 of 14
Something I'm also wondering, which'd be great to know. Is if this amp is suitable if I did go for another source (if I purchased a Wadia :p).

Jun 5, 2004 at 3:15 PM Post #13 of 14
Just thought I'd let you guys know my Corda arrived the other day as per recommendation of everybody here, and I'm overjoyed. They really bring these HD-600's to life. I also purchased some ATH-A900's at hte same time and they also sound outstanding. But it makes me realise how crappy my Audigy 2 source is
wink.gif

Thank-you very much for all your help guys
smily_headphones1.gif

600smile.gif

Jun 5, 2004 at 4:01 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by shuurajou
But it makes me realise how crappy my Audigy 2 source is
wink.gif

Thank-you very much for all your help guys
smily_headphones1.gif

600smile.gif

It's downhill all the way from here, shuurajou..
wink.gif
Congrats on the amp!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back