Looking for some advice/help
Jun 25, 2007 at 7:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

gkl

100+ Head-Fier
Hey, people!

Well, basically this is another "I'm getting my first kinda-real headphones" thread and since I'm quite n00bish at this whole thing, I'm in the need for some advice from more competent human beings. So, here goes: is Sennheiser HD595 really worth the extra money over HD555? I know it's been discussed to death, but I couldn't seem to find a definite answer (some say it is, others disagree).

An other alternative to HD595's could be Audio Technica's A700. Anything you can tell me about those? What about the A500's?

Maybe there are other possibilities I don't know of?

Basically my budget is around the price of HD595 but I really wouldn't mind to spend less.
biggrin.gif
I live in Europe btw, love how everything is more expensive over here.

The headphones will be connected directly to sound card (Audigy 2 ZS if that matters much), no amp. They should be circumaural (comfort is important), open or closed - doesn't matter much. At the moment I mostly listen to electronic music (Boards of Canada, Aphex Twin and the likes), post rock, ambient and some occasional other genres. Nothing too hardcore I guess.

Thanks in advance!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 26, 2007 at 5:17 PM Post #4 of 6
The 555's are as far as I've gone up the headphone food chain so far, and I find them good all-rounders for the price (I listen to them mostly out of a computer sound card or a home stereo, but they work fine for portables, too).

Yes, they're comfortable, so the 595's would be, also. I've read that 595's really benefit from amping, so if that's true, maybe there's your answer -- unamped, you might not get your full money's worth, although they probably would still sound at least a bit better than the 555's unamped.

EDIT: In another thread, AS1 says an external amp is not required for a 595 ... just passing along that comment.

Jun 26, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #5 of 6
AT A900, very comfy, don't need an amp, sounds great, good soundstage. $180 from audiocubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back