Looking for some advice from gurus here
Aug 26, 2008 at 9:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

bzazn

New Head-Fier
So, let me start off by saying that I am a complete n00bie at this thing, and was turned onto the site by a couple of audophile friends.

I travel quite a bit for work, and I like the convenience of in-ear headbuds to listen on the plane/cabs in to pair with my IPOD and sometimes my laptop as well.

I wear them quite a bit, sometimes 8 hrs in a row on some of the transatlantic flights. I listen to quite a bit of hip-hop or R&B music, not sure if that matters.

Any recomendations for me? I would say comfort, noise-cancelation, and overall quality of sound matters in that order. Price, I'd imagine I would be spending btw $100-$250 bucks, although, again, I'm a noob at this, so looking for some advice.

Thanks in advance.

Aug 26, 2008 at 11:11 PM Post #2 of 12
I'm not going to recommend any particular IEMs, but do keep in mind that you can change the tips of most of the phones people suggest here, and that usually improves isolation and sometimes even SQ.

Aug 26, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #3 of 12
Welcome to Head-fi! What great friends
wink.gif

Hardly a guru but..

The only IEMs i've owned are the Shure E2Gs and SE530s.
I believe you might find them quite to your liking, They provide a fairly comprehensive array of different sleeves with varying sizes. The build quality is very good and the same can be said about their sound quality. You should just be able to come under budget with the SE420 model, though i haven't tried these myself, they seem pretty good (though the SE310 might give more bang for the buck) from what i hear.

You might also like to look up some from Etymotic Research and Ultimate Ears.

Aug 27, 2008 at 12:38 AM Post #4 of 12
I would definately try the Westone UM2s or the Shure SE420s. I currently own the UM2s and sold off my Shure E4Cs. The UM2s are a bit more in your face but they have amazing bass, compared to the Shures. But they are $50 over your budget.

Aug 27, 2008 at 2:02 PM Post #6 of 12
Up until last week i would have had no clue as to what to suggest,however now i can truthfully recommend the shure Se310.
It is without doubt the best sounding and best value iem going,and believe me ive tried an awful lot.
In price to performance ratio there is nothing that can touch it.
So thats what i would recommend.

Aug 27, 2008 at 2:24 PM Post #7 of 12
I would recommend Westone UM2s or Klipsch X5/X10s for the type of music you listen to. Comfort comes down to individual preference and tips you use.

The thing is, once you start going above $200, you get diminishing returns with SQ (it's just that good by that point). Your enjoyment will ultimately be decided by comfort and isolation, since you intend on wearing them for 8 hours at a time. You can't go wrong with any of the suggestions put forward so far.

Aug 27, 2008 at 3:46 PM Post #9 of 12
im in the same boat as you(bzazn) as i have to commute with train 3.2 hours per day or more sometimes... i went for UM2's after hearing(feeling) the TF10/5's and so on but the UM2's just have unmatched comfort and sound combo and try treble booster to bring out the hights in your music you're gonna love em
smily_headphones1.gif
akthough they cost 299 dollars from earphonesolutions.com

Aug 29, 2008 at 12:57 AM Post #10 of 12
Check out various posts/threads on the Future Sonics Atrio M5. I had considered the UM2's, but got the M5's and, and at half the price of the Westones, the M5s have made me extremely happy. They make airplane travel a lot more pleasant than even my Shures and Etymotics did.

I doubt that you can go wrong wth the UM2's (which still appeal to me), but the M5s with Comply, Shure or Future Sonics foamies make me look forward eagerly to the announcement on every flight, "At this time you can use your electronic devices." For me, a plus is how they pair well unamped with iPod products, for ultra-portability when traveling (some iPod-earphone combinations can sound a bit thin, but the bass and kick drums have excellent impact with my Nano-M5s combination). With more EQ'able players, the M5s/M8s are capable of producing really massive -- but nonbloated -- bass.

Sources (in order of purchase):
2nd Generation 10GB iPod for Windows (retired)
Creative Muvo 256MB (recently found the receipt – over $100!!!)
Creative Muvo 1GB (out on loan)
Rio Carbon 5GB
Cowon iAudio 5 1GB (out on loan)
Rio Karma 20GB (low-mileage collector’s item)
Creative Zen Nano 1GB
Samsung YP-U2 512MB
4th Generation 40GB iPod (monochrome; used as home jukebox)
2nd Generation iPod Nano 4GB
Creative Zen Stone 1GB
iRiver T60 2GB
Sandisk Sansa Clip 1GB
Sandisk Sansa Clip 2GB

Aug 29, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #11 of 12
I'm gonna do a quick plug for the Denon canalphones. A few people have recommended the Shures, and I'd like to point out that the there've been quite a few people expressing preferences for the Denon C551s and 700/751s over those Shures. Do a quick search, and look at the official C700 thread.

Aug 29, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #12 of 12
not a guru.

most people on head-fi listen to rock. = 80%

the next 15% listen to dance/house trance

60% would listen to a mix of the above

5% would listen to hip hop.

this info is just from observation of tracks mentioned when headphones are brought up

shure and ue are more for audiophiles.

never heard westone or klipsh.

the denon sound is nice. i prefer is over sennheiser

atrio is different to all of them better in some ways and not so good in others

I have the atrio. It falls within your price range. I listen to rap music also and i think that the atrio iem would suit you. nice imaging, ok soundstage, ok detail and nice bass.

the rating levels here at headfi are quite hi because we all have high standards so when i say 'ok' you know its above average.

soundearphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back