Looking for some 75 canadian dollar headphones.
Nov 9, 2009 at 11:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

cryticfarm

New Head-Fier
Hello, I was planning on buying somehow some headphones, and the budget is around 70 bucks in Canada. The best I've found were these:
Sennheiser Hd555 /Hd-555 Headphones Cd Dvd Mp3, bstock w/ Warranty DAKmart
HD555s for 60 USD (around 70 CAD + international shipping).
Can anyone find a better pair for the same price? I'm really wanting to buy some AD700s but I can't find any in Canada within the price range.

Thanks.

Nov 9, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #2 of 14
Grado SR60, or Alessandro MS1 (I would personally go for the MS-1 with your budget).

EDIT: I was a little unclear... Both of these headphones are an amazing value (Well, I haven't heard the MS1, but they're based on the SR125, which are twice as expensive as the SR60.) They are great for rock, jazz, and in my opinion, trance. The MS1 are supposed to be a bit more neutral, and therefore, better for a more diverse range of genres.

I also looked into Senns when I got my first pair of serious headphones. I ended up with the HD485, which I thought were great straight out of my computer
smily_headphones1.gif
You can't go wrong, I don't think, with any of these routes.

Nov 10, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #4 of 14
Low-end Grados can't be purchased at any reasonable price in Canada (unless you buy used).

For slightly more than the SR60, you can buy the MS1 (this dealer in Markham has them for around $135 shipped).

Nov 10, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #6 of 14
The guy just managed to extend my budget to around 190 dollars. Also, since I'm getting sound off my computer, he will require a sound card most likely (He's running off integrated right now.)

Nov 10, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #8 of 14
Buy used, buy online, and stretch your budget to $100 at least. Don't look at anything that needs an amplifier.

The number of choices as you hit $100 increases dramatically.

Nov 10, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #9 of 14
The best bang for the buck in Canada are as follows, MS1 $100 USD shipped to your door, no customs or tax. Or, if you know someone working at futureshop the SRH840 can be bought for $95 CAD+tax. Anything lower than $100, there's only a few I could recommend, PX100, Portapro, RX700, for IEMs IM590, NE-6

Nov 10, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntropic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buy used, buy online, and stretch your budget to $100 at least. Don't look at anything that needs an amplifier.

The number of choices as you hit $100 increases dramatically.

Like I said in my previous post, he was able to boast the budget to 190 bucks. But if you can, keep it low. Right now I'm looking at the AD700s here:
Audio Technica ATH-AD700 Open-air Dynamic Headphones in Corded Headphones at JR.com

They are around 140 with international shipping and currency exchange.

Nov 11, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go for the MS1... Then keep the rest and save it up for a decent DAC/amp./

Gah so it's back to the AD700s vs. the MS1s again :\

EDIT:
I'm really looking for clarity in the trebles and mids by the way. I really want a crisp sound you know.

Nov 11, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #13 of 14
Both the MS1 and the AD700 will give you what you want. The thing is do you want to be at the front row (MS1) or about the 15th row (AD700)? Personally I like to be back further so I can take everything in and get a sense of space so I own and recommend the AD700.

Also for the bucks on hand see if you can get a nice DAC/Amp combo (Nuforce makes one for around $100 I believe or you can also check out Hot Audio which has one in around the same price). Or get a nice sound card (I picked up an Auzentech Forte 7.1 which is great for games and music).

Nov 11, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by dweaver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both the MS1 and the AD700 will give you what you want. The thing is do you want to be at the front row (MS1) or about the 15th row (AD700)? Personally I like to be back further so I can take everything in and get a sense of space so I own and recommend the AD700.

Also for the bucks on hand see if you can get a nice DAC/Amp combo (Nuforce makes one for around $100 I believe or you can also check out Hot Audio which has one in around the same price). Or get a nice sound card (I picked up an Auzentech Forte 7.1 which is great for games and music).

Mmmmmmmmmmm, I'll probably end up getting a sound card after saving money from this, plus the money from Christmas I can salvage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back