Looking for solid headphones in the region of £100-200
Mar 14, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #16 of 42
cel4145 gave the best response. The SoundMAGIC HP100 are known to be analytical -- therefore, they are not warm. But with the Digizoid ZO 2, it is definitely worth 
listening to as the article states.Okay, I know what to do know (I think) ; anymore suggestions would be appreciated. But thanks to cel, one of the sites provides a link
for a shop in the UK -- and I am quite close to the shop!

Mar 14, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #17 of 42
I have the X1

They are pretty much the best you are gonna get in Mid-Fi. To get better sound, you would have to spend £500 + on something like the HD700.

If you want something for on the move, you are best off with IEM's because they isolate well and can sound just as good as similarly priced headphones, only if you want IEM's obviously.

Mar 14, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #18 of 42
I have the X1

They are pretty much the best you are gonna get in Mid-Fi. To get better sound, you would have to spend £500 + on something like the HD700.

The fact that you would make that kind of claim given the HD600, HD650, HE-400, and some of the AKG K series headphones completely totally discredits your statement. Those are all excellent mid-fi headphones, and personal listening preference will be the biggest factor in someone preferring one over the other or the X1.

Mar 15, 2014 at 3:35 AM Post #19 of 42
The fact that you would make that kind of claim given the HD600, HD650, HE-400, and some of the AKG K series headphones completely totally discredits your statement. Those are all excellent mid-fi headphones, and personal listening preference will be the biggest factor in someone preferring one over the other or the X1.

As you say, personal preference, should have been more clear.

The Senns for me do things very differently. The Hd 600 did not have enough bass, but the Hd 650 was too veiled with that annoying mid bass hump. The X1 seem to fit in the middle of these two.

Did not think much of the K550. Treble sounded very un natural and the bass just wasn't there for bass heavy songs.

Have never heard the Hoffman due to import costs and pita of getting them in the UK.

Would like to reiterate that I did not make judgements without previous auditions except from one mentioned.

Mar 15, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #20 of 42
As you say, personal preference, should have been more clear.

The Senns for me do things very differently. The Hd 600 did not have enough bass, but the Hd 650 was too veiled with that annoying mid bass hump. The X1 seem to fit in the middle of these two.

Did not think much of the K550. Treble sounded very un natural and the bass just wasn't there for bass heavy songs.

Have never heard the Hoffman due to import costs and pita of getting them in the UK.

Would like to reiterate that I did not make judgements without previous auditions except from one mentioned.

The K550 is not the AKG that some people would find to complete in that class. It's the 700 series open models, although they would not be a good fit for you because they are not about bass extension.

Mar 15, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #21 of 42
I'd check into Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro's. They have 32 ohm, 80ohm, and 250 ohm. I own the 250 ohm and think they sound amazing.

Mar 15, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #23 of 42
Again, thanks for the suggestions guys. I am still looking for the best headphones that will be suitable for my preferences (stated earlier in the thread). 
I am now looking at the Momentums, Sony MDR-7520 and the KEF M500. The MDR-7520 are scarce, but luckily I have found them at my local
Hi-Fi store and are being sold £180! I am definitely thinking about getting the 7520, as they demoed them a few hours ago to me; they sound spectacular,
and nothing like any the other headphones, and they are extremely comfortable. The KEF M500 are available but were not in stock, so I couldn't demo them.
The Momentums were also unavailable. 

Mar 16, 2014 at 6:53 AM Post #24 of 42
I finally got to try out the KEF M500! They are not as great as I thought they would be; the bass and soundstage was lacking for a £250 pound headphones.
I need something that has a good soundstage to keep me engaged. Again, I'm not going to be overly critical about the sound, but I want headphones that
are compatible with my criteria (refer back to the first page). 

Mar 16, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #27 of 42
Guess what? I decided that I will go for the MDR-7520 and will now need to find a good portable amp! Any suggestions?

Great! What are you wanting to use the amp with? And what's your budget?

The 7520 are 50 ohm with 105db sensitivity. An amp may or may not make a big difference depending on the device.

Mar 16, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #28 of 42
Well he (the manager) told me to get an amp and he would take off £50. Not sure what I should do to be honest. He is offering me the Beyerdynamic A200p for £150
cool.gif

What do you think? 

Mar 16, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #29 of 42
I've never heard of anyone on Head-Fi recommending that amp. If you google the make/model with the term "head-fi" should be able to find discussion about it.

Mar 16, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #30 of 42
I am getting the FiiO X3 as a portable amp, but I may wait for the X5 to be released in the UK. Also, my brother is looking for the same types of headphones -- and unfortunately, the 7520 was the last one they had in stock, and they won't be stocking them again!
What do you guys recommend? He tried the 7520 when they were demoed to us, and he was impressed by how accurate they were.
But, I told him that they were not stocking them anymore, unless they found another 7520 to refurbish; don't ask me how he reacted.
biggrin.gif

So, any alternatives to the MDR-7520 (I owe him). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back