Looking for SMALL stylish speakers!
Aug 15, 2007 at 5:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

KevC

100+ Head-Fier
Hey,

I'm looking for small stylish speakers that sound decent. Not really big budget. No more than $200, I know it's not a lot to work with.

Amp/bookshelf route is nice but they are big and clunky. This is for a tiny dorm room so small is nice.

Budget is an absolute, no changing that. Small too. Style and sound quality come last I suppose.

Are there SMALL unpowered speakers I can hook up to a t-amp?

Cheers
-k

Aug 15, 2007 at 5:34 PM Post #2 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by KevC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey,

I'm looking for small stylish speakers that sound decent. Not really big budget. No more than $200, I know it's not a lot to work with.

Amp/bookshelf route is nice but they are big and clunky. This is for a tiny dorm room so small is nice.

Budget is an absolute, no changing that. Small too. Style and sound quality come last I suppose.

Are there SMALL unpowered speakers I can hook up to a t-amp?

Cheers
-k

bookshelf speakers.
i dunno if you can get anything decent for 100 bucks each though.

Aug 15, 2007 at 11:37 PM Post #4 of 14
Aug 15, 2007 at 11:40 PM Post #5 of 14
I would highly suggest the M-Audio StudioPro 3. You can get them for $99.

Aug 16, 2007 at 10:36 AM Post #6 of 14
Aperion Audio 422's in gloss black. Smaller than you think and run fine on my Trends TA 10.1. Not much bass though, you'll definitely need a sub.

Aug 16, 2007 at 2:17 PM Post #9 of 14
All opinion & they may not be stylish, but I'm really liking the Polk RT25s gotten off ebay for like $75 pair delivered. They're a bit bass heavy & I'd go for RT25i now for maybe $100/pair delivered. You can read about em here and elsewhere.

Not sure a t-amp would drive em tho.

Aug 16, 2007 at 2:27 PM Post #10 of 14
Op is looking for unpowered speakers, thus passive speakers. In this case you need to look at their sensativity, wich needs to be over 90db m3.

For a small amp, you need as much sensasivity as possible, or efficiency as it is also called to make the amp comfortably driving the speakers.

For amps with low wattage, you need speakers that can easally be driven.

Aug 16, 2007 at 2:48 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Op is looking for unpowered speakers, thus passive speakers. In this case you need to look at their sensivaty, wich needs to be over 90db m3.

For a small amp, you need as much sensivaty as possible, or efficiency as it is also called to make the amp comfortably driving the speakers.

For amps with low wattage, you need seakers that can easally be driven.

Yes, very good info there... So I guess someone needs to chime in w/1st-hand experience w/given speakers... A search for t-amp speakers, etc might help.

I'm driving the RT25s w/a 20-watt NAD 310 & that's probably min for them esp in a dorm.

Good luck.

Aug 16, 2007 at 3:39 PM Post #12 of 14
I would commend any of the 'budget' speakers from Monitor Audio, Tannoy & Mission, Kef, Q Acoustics, Wharfedale, some of these would be on the edge of your budget:

I would love to recommend something like the:
Q ACOUSTICS 1010's but would definitely be worried by the T-amps lack of power at 86db sensitivity, even the 1020's at 88db. A lot of the current crop of small bookshelf speakers are in the 86 - 88db range, certainly in the UK market.

If the bookshelf/amp option is too bulky (I guess one of the attractions of a T-amp), why not go powered? Different options become available if powered, especially considering your space considerations:

e.g. ACOUSTIC ENERGY AEGO M SUBWOOFER/SATELLITE SPEAKER

My brother in law has the Aego's hooked up to his computer and for the price they are very pleasant.

Aug 16, 2007 at 5:09 PM Post #14 of 14
My office speakers are the small and stylish Sony SRS-Z1's. The SQ definitely suffers in comparison to the Swans M200s I use at home -- but it's loads better than the vast majority of small computer speakers I've auditioned at the consumer electronics stores. They definitely don't sound like real bookshelves, but they sound a lot bigger than their size.

I don't know whether they're made any more, but they're readily available for $100 or so from the usual sources for used goods.

415EGY5SSAL._AA280_.jpg

The top of the little amp module in the middle (included with the speakers) is just about the same size as a CD jewel case, and the speakers themselves are maybe 7" tall and a couple inches wide.

Edit: good for soft or near-field listening only. If you want lots of volume, these are the wrong speakers for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back