Looking for Small, Portable IEM Amp
Oct 12, 2007 at 12:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

NeObliviscaris

Niiice!
Previously known as FeedMeTrance
Basically after something that is as small as the Tomahawk, as moderately priced as the C&C Box, and without the 3+ month waiting period, that also has a great sound quality.

Let's Discuss
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 12, 2007 at 1:59 AM Post #3 of 31
It may be above your size range, but maybe the Porta Corda Mk III? It sounds great with my ER-4S, and you can find one here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=264315

The C&C Box appears to be comparable to it in size, but it's hard to tell how big portable amps are without a direct comparison picture. I don't think there are many amps as small as the tomahawk, except the Xin Supermicro, but I think the Corda Headsix is almost as small. (The only portable amp I've heard is the Porta Corda III, so I really can't recommend anything else, but I don't think you'd be disappointed with the sound.)

edit: probably shouldn't have posted this, due to my lack of experience...sorry

Oct 12, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #4 of 31
Have you looked into the Minibox-E? It's very small and from everything I've seen, it sounds great. I'm on the verge of getting it myself to go with my im716. -CK

Oct 12, 2007 at 2:16 AM Post #5 of 31
Oct 12, 2007 at 3:00 AM Post #8 of 31
just drew out the measurements, the minibox-e is quite wide in comparison to the ipod.

keep in mind i will have the amp strapped to the ipod, so basically height/width looking at smaller than the ipod (H: 10.4cm, W: 6.1cm), and looking at around a width of 2-2.5cm.

My shortlist so far:

Tomahawk: 6.6x4.5x2.15cm
LDM+: 7.8x5.3x2cm

Also, looking for inputs/outputs on the top of the amp with volume control as well, and also, not a loost volume control like the PA2v2, dont want random volume changes when in pocket.

Oct 12, 2007 at 4:24 AM Post #9 of 31
Not too sure how much that LD goes for. But I'd say you couldn't go too far wrong with the Meier Headsix. Sounds like it'll be a mighty fine IEM amp.

Good luck with it
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 12, 2007 at 4:35 AM Post #10 of 31
The C&C XO amp is better than the box and is just as small and light. The design reminds my of a whisky flask.

Oct 12, 2007 at 4:39 AM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chewy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The C&C XO amp is better than the box and is just as small and light. The design reminds my of a whisky flask.

the whiskey flask amp = the C&C XO, and its quite bigm the box is:

box_plus_dimensions.gif

Oct 12, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why must the tomahawk be soooo expensive!

anyone know if i can still get this amp anywhere:

Check a couple ebay stores:
http://stores.ebay.com/Jasmine-Hifi-Audio-Store
A little pricey, but supposedly has good customer service

I bought an X1 from
http://stores.ebay.com/UNIVERSAL-WIR...Q3amesstQQtZkm
Keep checking as it appears for sale every now and then

Also, if you're in Melbourne, you may want to check with Head-Fi sponsor Jaben since they're only a few hours away (by plane)

Oct 12, 2007 at 6:11 PM Post #15 of 31

Users who are viewing this thread

Back