Looking for small desktop dac/amp for headphones and desktop acoustic.
Jun 28, 2015 at 1:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Dimon Hell

Head-Fier
Greeting community!
First of all - sorry for my english, it's far from good...
I'm a new member, and your help and advice is extremely desirable!
Headphones and all related devices is a whole new world for me!
Few days ago i bought my first pair of closed cans - Takstar Pro80, maybe will take Superlux HD668B. I think it's more interesting to start from simple models, that i can compare in future with more expencive ones.
My source (at this moment) is PC with SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer soundcard.
I use Vigoole (K3) C2128 active speakers, but as passive connected as a satellites to Logitech Z-2300 subwoofer.
And it works pretty good. 
And now, when i bought my first headphones, i need to get hp amp with dac. I though i'll take Fiio E10K and gonna be happy, but after that i deciede to get dac\heaphone amp + amp for my speakers, to get digital from PC and get better sound with external amp for those speakers.
So, will be that kind of stack: SMSL SD-793II + SMSL SA-50 a good choice for that purpose?
I'm not an audiophile, i just need a little bit better sound (i can't tell it's bad - for me it sounds good).
Because of that i'm looking for budget components, like those SMSLs.
I'll be happy to read all comments and advices.

Jun 28, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #3 of 11
I doubt the SMSL SD-793II is any better than the E10K since it sounds like you already have one (not sure). Save for better headphones. Save for better speakers :)

Jun 28, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #4 of 11
If you more a gamer, you might consider replacing the Xtremegamer with a Sound Blaster Z.
Better audio quality and separate outputs for the headphones and the speakers.

Or get the FiiO E10K if your more into music.

Jun 29, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #5 of 11
  1. cel4145, no, at this moment i don't have any dac\amp. I just choose between Fiio E10K and that SMSL.
  2. PurpleAngel, if i'll replace my soundcard to new one, then probably i'll get a Sound Blaster E5, in that case i don't need any dac \ headphone amp, but i'm still not sure...
  3. I saw review from Z Reviews on Youtube, that guy said, that this SMSL will be better over E10K... 

Jun 29, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #6 of 11

1. cel4145, no, at this moment i don't have any dac\amp. I just choose between Fiio E10K and that SMSL.
  2. PurpleAngel, if i'll replace my soundcard to new one, then probably i'll get a Sound Blaster E5, in that case i don't need any dac \ headphone amp, but i'm still not sure...
  3. I saw review from Z Reviews on Youtube, that guy said, that this SMSL will be better over E10K... 

SMSL products have really good specs for the price you pay, but who knows how long before they break.

Jun 29, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #8 of 11
I saw review from Z Reviews on Youtube, that guy said, that this SMSL will be better over E10K... 

A YouTube video is just one person's opinion. The E10K is generally loved for the price by Head-Fiers. Lots of Head-Fiers :)

Well, ok.

But how about Toppind dacs and amps?

The E10K or Schiit Fulla are some of the best values in dac/headphone amp for under $100. Topping makes good t-amps for speakers. Some head-fiers have enjoyed this combo unit: http://www.head-fi.org/t/697848/topping-vx1-anybody-try-it-yet.

The Sound Blaster E5 seems to be a very good portable dac/amp combo. For ~$200, the Schiit Mod 2/Magni 2 would be a better choice. Just not portable.

Jun 29, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #10 of 11
I have Smsl 793II for a long time..my main use its for optical cable. Its a nice product and the build quality its ok. Its hard to imagine it will brake.
I have the fiio e10k too...and in my opinion the build quality is worse.

Since you need a amp for headphone and one for speekers (not only headphones)..both smsl will do the job. I totally agree with the review from Z.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back