Looking for simple CD/DVD-V/A transport
Feb 24, 2006 at 3:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

TheSloth

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm looking for a CD/DVD-A full bit output (unprotected only of course) and DVD video transport. The video quality is not particularly important, as is the analogue audio stage, I'm just looking for something with an accurate digital output. Coax or optical, both or either are fine.

Any suggestions? The cheaper the better... I've read good things about very accurate digital outputs on some sony players out there?

Feb 24, 2006 at 3:37 AM Post #2 of 4
I know what video and tv publishes measured jitter performance of DVD and CD players. You can use their on-line database to look up the jitter peformance of each model. Some hi-end DVD players have high jitter that's sad for the price. My Sony DVP-NS900V SACD/DVD player has something like 170 ps of jitter, and it is among the best. Great transports generally has jitter between 150-200 ps. Poor transports have 500-1000 ps jitter.

Feb 24, 2006 at 6:11 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
Thanks. I'm also looking for something that can output full 24/96 from DVD-A material that is unprotected (few and far between but it's the principle that counts). ...

NeilPeart pointed me to the Panasonic DVD-S47 a year ago. If you look at the Benchmark website, you'll find an article (somewhat dated at this point) in which they name this unit as the only one they tested that didn't hardware-throttle unprotected DVD-A output. More recently, a poster on Audio Asylum said that Panasonic confirmed that one of their newer and more expensive models (sorry, can't remember which one) did the same.

Regarding bit-transparency, another AA member described a conversation with the pres of Benchmark in which he stated his concerns that several of the players they had been testing weren't bit-perfect. Alas, no models, good or bad, were named.

The combined issues of bit-perfect and no hardware protection in DVD players constitute one of the most inane gaps in audio knowledge I've run across. I've seen the questions posted several times and the only halfway-authoritative answers I've seen are that the two Panasonics I mentioned don't throttle unprotected discs and there's one model of Toshiba that isn't bit-perfect.

My advice would be to track down a DVD-S47 if you can. I've been happy with mine; it has the nice feature of identifying PCM tracks by type (LPCM or PPCM), word length and sampling frequency. You could check with Panasonic about other models or give Benchmark a call and see if they have any recommendations. Rory has been very helpful when I've called about other issues.

Hmm... just realized that you're considering Sony. I don't believe any Sony players play DVD-A. On the other hand, virtually all of the 24-bit unprotected music out there is available as DVD-V spec. So, from the copy-protection angle, a Sony unit might be good to go if you don't mind playing some dual-sided DVD-V/DVD-A discs at 96kHz instead of 192kHz.

It's late and I'm not sure how much sense I made with all that. Holler when I'm awake if anything requires clarification...

Best,
Beau

Users who are viewing this thread

Back