Looking for similar vocal music
Jun 1, 2003 at 4:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Ob3ron

100+ Head-Fier
I'm not really sure how to describe what I'm looking for here... I'm new to the genre and terms like "choral" and "chamber choir" don't really mean anything to me yet, so I think the best thing to do is post a sample of the kind of music I'm looking for. This ensemble is actually local to my area and are in fact basically my old high-school's choir and have won all sorts of international competitions. I just can't get over how amazing this stuff sounds and I'm desperately wondering if theres anything else out there like this. Particularly to my liking is the relatively small number of voices (25-30 in the Quintessential Vocal Ensemble) as I find it a pleasure to be able to distinguish individual performances. I also love it that the music is sung in a foreign language and that its totally unaccompanied. So if anyone has any suggestions that fit the bill, I'd love to hear them. Oh and let me know what you think of the Ensemble! I have no means to compare them to anything simililar, but they sound amazing to me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sample

Jun 1, 2003 at 6:46 AM Post #2 of 9
That's American composer Samuel Barber's Agnus Dei, the vocal arrangement of a movement from his String Quartet Op.11 (written in 1936). It eventually became popular as the Adagio for Strings, an arrangement for string orchestra and the key music from the film, Platoon. You're right that the language isn't English (it's Latin). The piece has a distinctly neo-Renaissance sound, with its sacred context, modal idiom and chains of expressive suspensions.

I've always admired Barber (and another American composer, Roger Sessions) for daring to develop personal and cosmopolitan (i.e., non-nationalist) styles. They left the production of musical Americana to Aaron Copland, a twentieth century Jewish composer from Brooklyn who went to Paris to learn how to write cowboy ballets and operas about the Old West.

Perhaps you should listen to the entire quartet. It's possible you'll like it.

Here's a recommendation I'm sure of: look for a CD of the choral music of Samuel Barber (mine is on the ASV label). His Reincarnations, which is on that CD, is very much along the lines of the Agnus Dei, which is also included.

I'm also a fan of Barber's art songs. If you're diligent, you can find on a single budget CD two historic recordings: the Hermit Songs, sung by Leontyne Price with the composer himself on piano, and Barber's Dover Beach, a setting of Matthew Arnold's famous elegy to the Victorian period, which is performed by Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau and the Julliard Quartet.

Still, it sounds as if you're interested in the sound of a capella (fancy schmancy term for unaccompanied) vocal polyphony for a small ensemble, so why not sample the real thing? It doesn't get much better than Monteverdi's "Lasciate mi morire," which can be found in his Madrigals, Book Six (try the Arcana recording by Rinaldo Alessandrini and the Concerto Italiano).

Other possibilities:

A capella:

Josquin: Deploration de la mort de l'Ockeghem
Schnittke: Psalms of Repentance
Gesualdo: Madrigals
Monteverdi: All Madrigals
Thomas Tallis: Spem in Alium (a 40-part motet!); Lamentations of Jeremiah
Ockeghem: Requiem
Vaughan Williams: Mass in G minor
Leonin and Perotin (they were the first)
Machaut: Missa de Notre Dame
Wert
Gombert
Dufay
Schnittke: Requiem
Gorecki: Totus Tuus, op.60 (you'll might like this especially, though there's no real counterpoint)
Brahms's madrigals (yes, he wrote them, and every voice, even the most insignificant, has its own stellar melody)

Accompanied but still relevant:

Monteverdi: Vespro Della Beate Vergine (I like the New London Consort's version.)
Stravinsky: Symphony of Psalms (I sense you'll like the Alleluia)
Bach: Ich Hatte Viel Bekummernis; (Mass in b minor); the chorale, "Est ist genug"
Henze: Cantata della fiaba estrema
Benjamin Britten: War Requiem
Gorecki: Beatus Vir (again, not the most complex piece, but I have the sense you might like it)
Beethoven: Missa Solemnis (let someone else mention Mozart's Requiem, which you probably know already)
(others will say to listen to Arvo Pärt, but I hope you'll listen to real medieval and renaissance music before settling for A.P., whose music is quite pleasing but is a simplistic s-l-o-w-e-d-down version of Stravinsky's take on medieval style)

Jun 1, 2003 at 6:54 AM Post #3 of 9
What, no Massenet?

(Sorry for the non-helpful reply, I'm on dialup, I'll download the sample later. But I'd probably listen to scrypt.)

Jun 1, 2003 at 12:32 PM Post #4 of 9
For similar unaccompanied (a cappella) vocal music, I'd recommend Rachmaninov's Vespers. They have the same kind of "neo-Renaissance" feel to them as the Barber and are really quite beautiful.

If you don't mind having an orchestra in there, I would strongly recommend one of my favorite pieces, Faure's Requiem. This is really a must-hear for anyone who has any love for classical music. Okay, I'm a little biased, but trust me on this one.
smily_headphones1.gif

If you're interested, I'd be happy to send you a sample track from either or both. PM me.

Jun 1, 2003 at 5:34 PM Post #5 of 9
I agree with you about the Faure Requiem, BlindSeer. I thought about including it myself. I also love Faure's art songs. No one has written better settings of the poetry of Paul Verlaine.

Personally, I can't recommend the Rachmaninov because I really dislike that composer. No matter how hard I listen, he always sounds schmaltzy to me. To be fair to you, though, I should mention that one of my composition teachers would bring up the Vespers occasionally as well as R.'s Vocalise. She was citing examples of a certain kind of cantabile line, and also exhorting me to strive for polished simplicity (an exhortation which I often ignore).

I understand Ob3ron's interest in purity of texture, especially in a contrapuntal piece. For that reason, Ob3ron might also like certain contrapuntal chamber music, particularly string quartets. Quartets have often had the kind of abstract purity and austerity in the last three centuries that settings of the Mass had in the previous five.

Jun 1, 2003 at 7:50 PM Post #6 of 9
A kind thanks for all the suggestions, everyone! Its going to take me a while to digest all this
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm just curious if someone can identify this piece.... I'd love to get to hear a better version of it !

here tis

Jun 1, 2003 at 8:37 PM Post #7 of 9
I 2nd the rec on Gesualdo.. spooky, haunting music, that sounds amazingly modern considering how old it is.

and I did not know that the Barber Adagio for Strings was arranged for choir.. thanks for making me cry here at work..
frown.gif

-jar

Jun 1, 2003 at 10:09 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by scrypt
Personally, I can't recommend the Rachmaninov because I really dislike that composer. No matter how hard I listen, he always sounds schmaltzy to me.

I agree that some of his works are a little (okay, more than a little) over the top, especially schmaltz-fests like Vocalise and his second symphony. However, I'd include the Vespers in a different category of Rach that strives toward a more ornate beauty and succeeds in many cases. I'd encourage you to keep an open mind toward some of his less over-blown works.

But now we're starting to veer off-topic.
smily_headphones1.gif
I just thought of the Durufle Requiem as another really wonderful work that is similar in character in many sections to the Barber. I'll send some of that along too, Ob3ron.
wink.gif

I did a quick search on the new sample you linked an it seems to be a track from a videogame soundtrack (Xenosaga). Unfortuantely I can't give you any advice in that category.
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, I'll have to check out Gesualdo's stuff. I remember reading about him in "Bach, Beethoven and the Boys" (the bit about him taking an ax to his wife and her lover rings a bell), but I never pursued his music. Sounds worth sampling.

Jun 2, 2003 at 1:40 AM Post #9 of 9
Thanks for the tip, BlindSeer. As it turns out,. my best bud has all the Xenosaga OSTs
smily_headphones1.gif
I don't really have time to post much at the moment (I should have been in bed looooong ago....) but I'm wondering if anyone can make any suggestions for specific CDs available on amazon (preferably) or elsewhere. I've been having a hard time finding some of your suggestions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back