Looking for significant bass boost for ipod/e4c
Jun 9, 2005 at 3:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

kessomatt

100+ Head-Fier
I know my e4c is very capable of bass after listening through my home rig. Would anyone reccomend the supermacro 3 with its bass boost switch for my ipod photo? Can anyone say the boost is dramatic? On a scale, how much more would there be when non-amped?

Thanks for you help guys.

Jun 9, 2005 at 5:06 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by kessomatt
I know my e4c is very capable of bass after listening through my home rig. Would anyone reccomend the supermacro 3 with its bass boost switch for my ipod photo? Can anyone say the boost is dramatic? On a scale, how much more would there be when non-amped?

Thanks for you help guys.

I can't speak for the v3, only for the v1, where I felt that the bass boost switch really didn't give much of a kick in the pants. But that's 2 versions ago, so times might have changed.

Jun 9, 2005 at 7:26 PM Post #3 of 9
I don't use the e4c, but I do often use a photo 60 and SM3 with a variety of other headphones. I wouldn't call the bass boost "dramatic" which is great for me since I'm certainly no bass-head (never use bass enhancement switches on my PCDPs, or MD players, for example). But, IMO, Xin really has his act together with the 4-switch option on the SM3. The bass boost sounds better, but never--at least so far--overblown or unnatural.

Jun 9, 2005 at 11:00 PM Post #4 of 9
i have the SM3, along with my ipod and UE-10s. i like the bass boost on some recordings, but not all. the SM3 by itself added considerably to the bass. the boost switch is a much better enhancer than the bass boost EQ setting in the ipod.

cheers,
phil

Jun 10, 2005 at 1:25 AM Post #5 of 9
I have ipod 3g sm v1 and er-4s. I always have the bass boost on, but it doesnt do as much as you might think it will. The difference is definately there, but more than likely you wont get hm, spine tingling bass
basshead.gif

Jun 10, 2005 at 1:35 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Little J040
I have ipod 3g sm v1 and er-4s. I always have the bass boost on, but it doesnt do as much as you might think it will. The difference is definately there, but more than likely you wont get hm, spine tingling bass
basshead.gif

Do you have the SM v.1 with the 3dB bass boost or the later 5dB boost? 3dB boost is subtle but quite audible, and it really enhances the bass ranges without introducing colorations to the midrange at all. This is for true purist who wants a bit of bass boost without sacrificing anything at all and would be my choice for most 'phones except something like Ety 4S.

I now have the SM v.3 with 5dB boost. It's noticeably more boost than 3dB boost. With right op-amps (627, 637, AD744), bass, even via Ety4s, is firm, hard-hitting, and plenty warm. Even crunching hard rock, techno is well served. There is a 'slight' hit in total midrange transparency, mostly addition of lower-midrange to mid-midrange lushness and weight (I kind of like it).

Jun 10, 2005 at 1:37 AM Post #7 of 9
I have the 3db boost, it does add some visceral impact, but nothing to drop my jaw. Im upgrading to v3 soon tho, so hopefully 5db will make the difference

Jun 10, 2005 at 5:38 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L

I now have the SM v.3 with 5dB boost. It's noticeably more boost than 3dB boost. With right op-amps (627, 637, AD744), bass, even via Ety4s, is firm, hard-hitting, and plenty warm. Even crunching hard rock, techno is well served. There is a 'slight' hit in total midrange transparency, mostly addition of lower-midrange to mid-midrange lushness and weight (I kind of like it).

Is this coming out of an ipod? If so, compared to the ipod unamped with no eq setting on, how much more bass would you say there is(with the bass boost on)? Also, would you say the difference is like night and day using this amp on the ipod?

Thanks for the feedback.

Jun 10, 2005 at 11:11 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by kessomatt
Is this coming out of an ipod? If so, compared to the ipod unamped with no eq setting on, how much more bass would you say there is(with the bass boost on)? Also, would you say the difference is like night and day using this amp on the ipod?

Thanks for the feedback.

It's from both 4g iPod line-out and also my modified Transit and Lynx card. BTW, I'm not one of those who believe iPod has "weak bass."

So on all these sources, the 5dB bass boost is definitely not subtle, but I wouldn't want to say "night and day," b/c that to me would mean way too much bass boost that completely colors the midrange, which we don't want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back