Looking for Sennheisers and advice
Mar 25, 2004 at 2:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Beto

New Head-Fier
First off... Hello evernyone! I've been lurking here for a while and I'm glad to finally join the hordes of headphone nerds. God bless the Internet, there's something for everyone.

I have decided that the time has come to get some real, built-to-last headphones. I've taken lots of research and budget estimates and my choice is definitely between the Sennheiser HD580 and the HD600 (They are on sale price at Music Direct this week, and I definitely want to approach it). Yeah, I know the 650 is the new king of phones, etc, but how can you say no to a great price drop?

I was initially planning to buy the 580 direct from the local Sennheiser distributor but they would just sell me MSRP ($235 for the 580? I can get the 600 for that much online, so screw it!).

Anyways, price is definitely a key factor here but I'm interested on sonics too. I currently have a cheapie Aiwa stereo receiver, but I already have a Creek OBH-11 headphone amp too, which I hope should suffice to power these cans. Only caveat I have is that the stupid Aiwa won't let me use the OBH-11 while in phono mode, and I'm a big vinyl junkie (that's what I listen to most these days). The Aiwa's manual says anything from 30 ohms and up is okay, but we're talking 300 ohms here. Oh well, I plan to replace it with a better amplifier (NAD) soon, but I'm interested to hear how does the HD600 fare with standard, non-amped stereos. I plan to use them at home only, it's not like I'm going to plug'em into a Discman anytime soon
600smile.gif

I'm also aware that, in my current system, I'd probably hear no difference between the 580 and the 600, but as I am planning to upgrade components, the 600 seems to be a more worthwhile purchase. What's what I'd be missing if I'd chose the 580s over the 600s (and save some money)?

Oh, I'm also looking forward to purchase a 10' Cardas cable to use with the Senns. Yeah, I'm going after big game...
600smile.gif
Comments on these also welcome.

Well that's all I can think of putting here for the moment. Hope to hear from you soon!

Mar 25, 2004 at 2:40 AM Post #2 of 33
Beto, welcome to the board and sorry about your wallet
smily_headphones1.gif

Let me repeat from this site that hd580 and hd600 are 97% in range sonically. Most double blind tests show no difference in sound by ear. The graphs are nearly identical too. The main difference is construction. You are paying 80 more bucks for metal construction, and better fabrics or whatever. But that is no concern for hd580, its constructed quite sturdy and all parts are replaceable (almost). The only time when audiophilers told me a difference was observed (and still minute) was with 3000 dollar amps and similar priced sources.
Basically they are the same. Unless you want to pay more and like better construction go for hd600.
Take note I own neither of these and wished i can audition them. I am still deciding what to buy. Of course I got this information form this site itsel, and most would concur that it is the same.
just my .02c

hd580 graph

hd580graph.jpg

hd600 graph

hd600graph.jpg

Mar 25, 2004 at 2:45 AM Post #3 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by Beto
What's what I'd be missing if I'd chose the 580s over the 600s (and save some money)?

Chance to have a few more dollars to spend on a better cable.
wink.gif
I was more impressed by HD580s & Zu ($200) than HD600s & Cardas ($150).

Mar 25, 2004 at 4:30 AM Post #6 of 33
It's not really that the cable sucks, it's just you can do better and change the sound. Most phones don't have easily replaceable cords, so who knows how the DT880 or CD3000s would improve with a Zu or Cardas? Without that option, no is is saying their cables suck. [Note: The Sony CD3000 cable costs $177 to replace though, so it may be very nice, or Sony just really over charges for replacement parts).

That said, the protection is kinda weak on the 580/600 stock. The 650 thickens it up a bit, but it could still be better. There are less expensive options also like the Oehlbach from Miere.

But the cord price should be considered when debating about the options. As mentioned I liked the HD580/Zu over the HD600/Cardas. I also like the HD650/stock over either. Now the HD650/Zu... mmmmmmmm.

Mar 25, 2004 at 4:54 AM Post #9 of 33
No one has really done a head-to-head comparison between these cables and the other, more expensive cables, I don't think.

However, using a cable like the Zu Mobius instead of the standard headphone cable that the HD580/600/650 came with really does improve their performance by a significant amount.

It is not a "replacement" by any means, they're by far and above upgrades that takes Sennheiser to the next level.

I agree with Blessing, if you need to choose between HD580 w/ Zu or HD600 w/ anything other than Zu's.. take HD580 w/ Zu's. In fact, I have a hard time determining if HD580 w/ Zu is better (or at least more preferrable) than HD650 w/ stock cable.

Mar 25, 2004 at 5:43 AM Post #11 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by Buster Sword
Let me repeat from this site that hd580 and hd600 are 97% in range sonically. Most double blind tests show no difference in sound by ear. The graphs are nearly identical too. The main difference is construction. You are paying 80 more bucks for metal construction, and better fabrics or whatever. But that is no concern for hd580, its constructed quite sturdy and all parts are replaceable (almost). The only time when audiophilers told me a difference was observed (and still minute) was with 3000 dollar amps and similar priced sources.

Oh my, decisions, decisions.... just when you think you had it nailed down there's yet more to consider
blink.gif

The budget side of my conscience tells me to go with the 580s, but the other part of my conscience tells me I'm gonna kick myself every time about why I didn't go with the 600s. The graphs, however, are pretty revealing. Oh my. On the other hand, I have had more disposable "quality" headphones that I'd care to mention here, and if the 600s superior construction means these will at least outlive them all, then I'll consider that extra money well spent.

Just checked the site with the Oehlbach cables. At $55 looks like a bargain (even if having to be shipped all the way from Germany), but I'll still have the doubt whether I'm missing something that the Cardas or the Zu Mobius deliver. Probably... dang, how I'd wish I could audition these before plunking the plastic. Too bad Music Direct doesn't carry the Zu line. Which online stores do?

Mar 25, 2004 at 5:46 AM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by rsaavedr
Tuanis Beto, welcome to head-fi!

Pura vida dude!
biggrin.gif

Mar 25, 2004 at 5:46 AM Post #13 of 33
Beto, I asked around. I am yet to hear from people who had their hd580s for years and have problems. These last a long time. I assume you will not be wearing these for jogging or carrying around everywhere you go. Its not for that. But its very sturdy construction as reported by the users. If you can afford hd600, hey be my guest, it looks and feels a little cooler.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 25, 2004 at 5:53 AM Post #14 of 33
I think the build quality difference between the HD580 and HD600 is strictly one of outer appearance, there's really not much "sturdier" materials in the HD600, just a different look & feel & better drivers. They look more expensive, but doesn't mean the material is really that much stronger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back