Looking for Sennheiser house-sound for less than $200
Jul 28, 2014 at 11:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

vhobhstr

100+ Head-Fier
Update (August 10) - This snippet made me want the HD-650:

Quote:
  I came to conclusion that MX 980 reminds me a lot of HD-650. It is warm and smooth mid to high similarly to HD-650 with relatively extended low. Of course I don't mean MX 980 is comparable to HD-650. It is just a feeling that you can have a Sennheiser HD-650's house-sound in this little package. That alone might worth for anyone who likes HD-650 and would like to have it on the go.

However the HD-650 is out of my price range. I do have the MX980, they're my favorite headphones that I own, and I'm looking for a similar sound. Is there anything like that out there between the MX980 and the HD-650?

Here's my original post (slightly modified):

Hey everyone, can I get some recommendations for a new set of headphones?

I want on or over ear headphones, preferably on ear (they isolate less, they probably don't get as hot in the summer).
I want a similar sound to the Sennheiser MX980.
Ideally, they wouldn't be too sensitive because I don't want to be distracted by hiss from my MacBook.
The form factor of the Sennheiser PX100-IIi is appealing, but I'm reading that it has too much bass.
My budget is $50-$200; closer to the cheaper end of this range is better.
The Bowers & Wilkins P3 is also appealing, but reviewers say that they are muted in the highs, and they're at the high end of my price range.
I don't want leather.
I've been listening to vocaloid music a lot lately, but I also listen to classical (chamber music), and female vocals (Enya, Loreena McKennitt).
Ideally, they'd be smaller in size than the Sony MDR-V6.

Jul 28, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #2 of 9
For over ear, Soundmagic HP150. Fairly neutral response with only a slight bit of boost to treble and bass at the extremes. A new release of the HP100 (seem to be the same sound), so you can look at reviews for it:

http://noblehifi.blogspot.com/2012/10/soundmagic-hp100-review.html
http://www.headfonia.com/soundmagics-hp100-the-late-new-discovery/

Jul 28, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #3 of 9
Thanks for the recommendation, cel!

The HP150 looks so big, though. I guess I should add that I'd like the headphones to be smaller than my Sony MDR-V6.

Aug 11, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #5 of 9
Have you looked at the Sennheiser HD 239? It has pleather/cloth hybrid on-ear pads, but otherwise seems like it could work. I have the 229, which is closed and on the bright side. The form factor is the same, but the 239 is heavier.

Aug 11, 2014 at 2:10 AM Post #6 of 9
I hadn't looked at the HD 239, but thanks for bringing it to my attention! Pleather is fine; I'm just trying to avoid any animal products. I'll definitely consider this headphone! It's more affordable than the Momentum On-Ear (another one that I'm considering), and it's probably not as bass heavy. I'm wondering whether it has the warm and smooth mids to highs that Kenta talked about. I'll read more about it.

Aug 11, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #7 of 9
HD239 is better than Momentum On Ear. I recommend it. The PX100-ii is also a good option and for closed over ear the HD439 does have some 650 to it as well with its rich forward warm mids punchy bass and relaxed treble with impressive soundstage for a closed headphone

Aug 11, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #8 of 9
Thanks for the recommendations! How does the HD439 compare to the HD239? Does it have any advantages because it's over-ear? Also, what do you mean by "relaxed" treble; I couldn't find it in the glossary.

Aug 11, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #9 of 9
It means it's not as loud as the rest of the song, which is pretty much what the 650 is. That's why these headphones sound warm and dark, as opposed to other headphones with a more lively treble. It's very relaxing and very good comfort. The 239 is more resolving and has more treble emphasis but I like over ears more than on ears, both are good though and even at their retail prices I think both are good value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back