Looking for ridiculous Bass Monsters. up to $150 budget
Apr 25, 2012 at 9:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

kujo709

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm looking for new IEMs with monsterous, thunderous bass for under $150 (preferably under 125 but ill stretch for something thats totally worth it.) I will be using these for dance/ house music. The bass doesnt have to be super "tight" but I would like to preserve some sound quality in the mid and high range. I'm basically looking for an IEM that will give the sound of a dance club/modified car stereo. I have considered the superfi 5s but I dont know if they will have that "tremendous" bass presence that I'm looking for. I havent listened to them though so I cannot judge.

The only pair of headphones like this that I know of are the Munitio Siti 9mm buds. however they are now manufactured differently and the quality has gone to ****... I went through 4 pairs of replacements when my original munitios broke and all 4 became muffled and at less than 1/10th of the original volume max. hence my need for a similar replacement now.

Thanks for the advice ahead of time everyone!

Apr 25, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #3 of 31
I own three bass heavy iems - the X10, the M5, and the IE80. The X10 have more of a fast, punchy bass instead of a deep extended bass and the IE80 is over budget, but I can definitely recommend the M5.

It's got great bass quantity/quality and lots of sub bass while having very little bass bleed. Mids are slightly recessed and I would consider highs to be neutral or slightly bright. While not as fast as a balanced armature setup, it's quite fast for a dynamic, so you don't get the feeling that you're missing out on a lot of detail. It manages to hold it's own quite well against the $450 IE80, which has better sound staging and build quality. 

You can pick up a used pair for around $100 in the forums. I'll probably put mine up for sale in the next few days since I have more audio gear coming in.

Apr 25, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #4 of 31
Without a doubt Hippo VB, I own a pair.

They have the kind of bass that reaches way down deep DEEP into sub bass regions. The closest I can describe them is like having two 15" car sub woofers inside your head. (I'm not joking) They absolutely pump huge amounts of air inside your ear canal and can bruise your ear drum if you're not careful. They come with 3 interchangeable bass plates so you can tune the bass to your likings. The whole IEM starts shaking when using an E11 amp and you seriously think they're going to explode.

The mids / highs are really good considering they need to compete with such tremendous bass amounts, especially the highs they sparkle. How do I explain....it's like having two mini air compressors pumping the air inside your canal. They are lethal! I own Monster turbines and they don't even come close to them in bass quantity . It's an excellent experience with VB they are LOUD / DEEP and chew up bass with authority.

They can be a little sibilant for the first 50 hours, but that does go away and the highs really smooth out.I recommend to all VB owners who have this problem switch to Sony hybrid tips straight away as it calms the highs and funnels the bass which in turn gives you MORE / concentrates bass because it's pushing through a slightly smaller hole on the Sony tip.

If you want bass VB is king. 

Apr 25, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #5 of 31
JVC FA-FX1X I think these may be exactly what you asked for. These lil red guys are all about the Bass but still deliver on the mids and highs. They have huge bass response. Non fatiguing extended highs that are just bright enough to enjoy. Super efficient. On my iPhone I cruise at a bit less than 35-40% and can only handle 60% for a short time cause these hit so damn hard and loud. These are big IEMs but they are really comfy and stay in place pretty well. These remind me of old school Japanese electronics were you got a lot for your money especially in terms of quality for the price. Thes can be had for less than $30! are they perfect no but they are fun.

Apr 25, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #7 of 31

Quote:
all the bass comes from the left earphone in the hippos?

lol, No, I can guarantee bass on VB's comes from both sides. 
smile.gif
 The signature was someone's response on amazon to a pair of Sony MDR-EX300 that I found slightly amusing a while back. 
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 25, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #8 of 31

Quote:
JVC FA-FX1X I think these may be exactly what you asked for. These lil red guys are all about the Bass but still deliver on the mids and highs. They have huge bass response. Non fatiguing extended highs that are just bright enough to enjoy. Super efficient. On my iPhone I cruise at a bit less than 35-40% and can only handle 60% for a short time cause these hit so damn hard and loud. These are big IEMs but they are really comfy and stay in place pretty well. These remind me of old school Japanese electronics were you got a lot for your money especially in terms of quality for the price. Thes can be had for less than $30! are they perfect no but they are fun.

I've also owned the JVC-FA-FX1X. They are OK for people on a tight budget, the bass sounds artificial  not for people looking to spend the $120 mark.

Hippo VB wipe the floor with them. 

Apr 25, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #9 of 31
OK the hippos are starting to sound appealing now in that case... I thought the signature was for them and was like are you kidding me??? lol.

Also, I might just order the JVCs for the heck of it... at $25 with 2 day amazon shipping theyre almost worth the novelty lol

Btw I would even consider spending 150 if it was a really good buy for the money. Still looking for more options though so please keep the suggestions coming

Apr 26, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #13 of 31
I mentioned them, but they're pretty close to his budget limit unless you buy used. From my personal experience and ljokerl's iem review thread, I'd put money on them being a tier higher than the Hippos and competitive with the best universals. 

Apr 26, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #14 of 31
Atrios MG7 is claimed as the bass kings in these forums. Or you can look into the Velodyne vPulse. Theyre made by a very well known sub-woofer company and I can personally vouch that they are bass cannons. If you want a good amount of bass without sacrificing anything else try the ATH cks77

Users who are viewing this thread

Back