Looking for Reverse Minijack Y-Splitter?
Aug 22, 2004 at 4:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

kelston

100+ Head-Fier
I have no idea if something like this exists hence I wasn't exactly sure what to call it.

I know at Radio Shack they sell mini stereo jack splitters so you can plug in 2 headphones to one CD player. However, i'm curious if something like this exists in reverse. Something which would allow you to plug in 2 mini stereo plugs to one mini stereo input jack.

I'm trying to set up a system with two sound cards (one for audio quality, the other for gaming) but I don't know how I would hook up the two sound cards simultaneously to the speakers because I sure as heck don't want to repeatedly plug and unplug things as mini stereo jacks aren't exactly of the highest build quality. Since Glassman did such an amazing job with modding my Revo i'm set in my need to use the mini stereo outputs from both the Revo and the Soundblaster.

If one doesn't exist but someone with the skill can actually make one, let me know, i'd be willing to pay you to make 3.

Aug 22, 2004 at 5:24 AM Post #2 of 5
You can use the exact thing you just mentioned. Instead of plugging the minijack end into the cd player, you plug it into your speakers. Instead of plugging headphones into the two jacks, you plug the soundcards into the two jacks. All you need is a pair of mini to mini cables. You could probably find a single cable that did it all if you looked hard enough.

Aug 23, 2004 at 4:39 PM Post #3 of 5
Just curious...

Isn't there a chance that you'll get some nasty feedback off of this (shorting??) as the input from one, will essentially output to the other input??

If i'm well off of the beaten track, then that is fine... just don't wanna hear about a couple of fried soundcards though
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 23, 2004 at 7:14 PM Post #4 of 5
This won't work well. You'll get a nasty hum/ground loop.

When I had a Revo/Audigy in the same computer I used them both, to do this I fed the analog output from the Audigy into the Analog input of the Revo. Then I enabled "monitoring" of the line-in on the Revo software and it worked.

-dd3mon

Aug 23, 2004 at 9:19 PM Post #5 of 5
You may or may not. Some of it dependson the relative impedances, I think. Running the output of one into the input of the other is a better idea. That's what I'm currently doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back