Looking for replacement/upgrade for Clip+
Feb 10, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #16 of 34
Thanks for all your suggestions.
I'll most likely get a Clip Zip and a fast 32GB microSD card (which I'll fill with an USB card reader).
I'm hesitant to get another Clip+ due to the problems I'm having with mine, even though it seems to be a hardware issue. I don't want to get another just to have it fail on me in exactly the same and annoying manner.

The Cowon C2 isn't appealing to me due to the lack of physical buttons and use of proprietary connector. The Clip also might have a better sound and I prefer the small form factor.

Feb 10, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #17 of 34
Quote:
The Cowon C2 isn't appealing to me due to the lack of physical buttons and use of proprietary connector. 

The connector thing is worse than you think: it's a standard physical format in Korea, but doesn't seem to guarantee voltage - people have blown to ports on Cowons using connectors designed for phones, which fit, but may have the wrong voltage. 

Feb 12, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #18 of 34
Quote:
Thanks for all your suggestions.
I'll most likely get a Clip Zip and a fast 32GB microSD card (which I'll fill with an USB card reader).
I'm hesitant to get another Clip+ due to the problems I'm having with mine, even though it seems to be a hardware issue. I don't want to get another just to have it fail on me in exactly the same and annoying manner.

The Cowon C2 isn't appealing to me due to the lack of physical buttons and use of proprietary connector. The Clip also might have a better sound and I prefer the small form factor.

Speed of the sd-card is of no relevance in a DAP. There is not a requirement for high speed data transfer, to play music files.
You can also use 64Gb cards in the Clip Zip (and indeed Rockbox) as long as you have formatted them as FAT32 in a PC beforehand.

Feb 12, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #19 of 34
Quote:

Speed of the sd-card is of no relevance in a DAP. There is not a requirement for high speed data transfer, to play music files.
You can also use 64Gb cards in the Clip Zip (and indeed Rockbox) as long as you have formatted them as FAT32 in a PC beforehand.

It is not relevant when playing, but it is when filling it with data (which is where an USB card reader would come into play to get faster write speeds). :)
I was looking at 32GB cards as a price/capacity tradeoff.

Feb 14, 2013 at 7:07 AM Post #20 of 34
Quote:
It is not relevant when playing, but it is when filling it with data (which is where an USB card reader would come into play to get faster write speeds). :)
I was looking at 32GB cards as a price/capacity tradeoff.

The speed difference between a Class 10 and a Class 4, really only matters when you are transferring high volumes of data at speed, such as you may need to do when recording video on a camera or taking high definition photographs. You would need to be really short of time or patience to worry about the time differential between the two when transferring music to a card 
biggrin.gif

I do take your point about cost however, and if 32Gb is all you need, then certainly they are much more cost effective.

Feb 20, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

The speed difference between a Class 10 and a Class 4, really only matters when you are transferring high volumes of data at speed, such as you may need to do when recording video on a camera or taking high definition photographs. You would need to be really short of time or patience to worry about the time differential between the two when transferring music to a card 
biggrin.gif

I do take your point about cost however, and if 32Gb is all you need, then certainly they are much more cost effective.

Let's just say that the Clip+ with 8GB has tried my patience enough and I'd like faster transfer speeds - especially since I'm only dealing with FLAC and I do plan on filling that 32GB card.

Feb 20, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #22 of 34
Quote:
Let's just say that the Clip+ with 8GB has tried my patience enough and I'd like faster transfer speeds - especially since I'm only dealing with FLAC and I do plan on filling that 32GB card.

If you do buy a class 10 microsd card, then be prepared to rockbox your Clip. There have been many complaints of class 10 cards not working well with the original Sansa firmware.

Feb 21, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #23 of 34
Quote:
If you do buy a class 10 microsd card, then be prepared to rockbox your Clip. There have been many complaints of class 10 cards not working well with the original Sansa firmware.

Works fine for me on both original and Rockbox firmwares. I have a (class 10) 64Gb, genuine Sandisk card in mine. There are plenty of fakes and poor quality sd-cards about. My advice would be to avoid ebay and stick with a well known brand of card and a proper retailer, even if it is more expensive. Amazon themselves are a good source for sd-cards, but be wary of third party Amazon marketplace sellers.

Mar 8, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #25 of 34
So I got my Clip Zip now and rockboxed it - however it runs even worse than the Clip+. It freezes constantly and locks up, I've also had loud and nasty errors when it crashed. Hooray.

Mar 8, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #26 of 34
Quote:
So I got my Clip Zip now and rockboxed it - however it runs even worse than the Clip+. It freezes constantly and locks up, I've also had loud and nasty errors when it crashed. Hooray.

The Rockbox firmware for the Clip Zip is a development release. That being said, I have not had a single problem with it. Runs perfectly for me, with no freezing or lock ups and no loud and nasty errors. Nothing astray whatsoever.

Something is wrong with your setup. Could it be your sd-card or your music files?

Mar 8, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #27 of 34
Quote:

It works fine for me, on two different Zips.

Mar 8, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #28 of 34
Sorry, no, mine doesn't.
I had to remove all covers because they were causing 8+ second loading times. Some songs still have large covers so that each song loads for a couple of seconds before it starts playing.
Skipping entire folders often results in a complete lockup of the device. I still fear the loud and sudden noise that such a crash can bring.
All this even after upgrading to 3.13 stable.

Filesystem turns out fine btw, so that's not the problem.

Mar 8, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #29 of 34
Quote:
Sorry, no, mine doesn't.
I had to remove all covers because they were causing 8+ second loading times. Some songs still have large covers so that each song loads for a couple of seconds before it starts playing.
Skipping entire folders often results in a complete lockup of the device. I still fear the loud and sudden noise that such a crash can bring.
All this even after upgrading to 3.13 stable.

Filesystem turns out fine btw, so that's not the problem.

I just loaded 3.13 on both of mine, and they both still work like champs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back