Looking for replacement of SH Momentum Over-Ear
Sep 29, 2014 at 4:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

BobiBolivia

New Head-Fier
Hello guys,

After some digging up in this forum, I decided to give a go for Momentums Over-Ear.
I am perfectly fine with them, perfect sound, no bloated bass, ability to drive them from phone (I am planning to get FiiO X3 though).

However, I am not happy, but I have to return them. I have a above-average ears, and if these one are considered as Over-Ear, then certainly for my ears are like "slightly more on-ear", which makes them uncomfortable (I do not remember setting up any headphones every hour or so, just to feel them less on ears, and I was listening to them on 12+ hours train trip).

I have time till 6th of October to fill up 14-days return policy of shop where I got them, so till that time I would like to get some help from you guys, to help me find headphones, which are On-Ear, but with sound signature if not exactly same, then at least close to Momentum Over-Ear.

My budget has same roof as for Momentums - 270 €, preferrably less, if possible.

Thanks to everybody who will be willing to give some opinions.

Bobi.

Sep 29, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #2 of 9
SH's Momentum On-Ear's exist, as do the new Urbanites. Also check out the V-Moda XS and maybe Beats Solo 2.

Sep 29, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #3 of 9
Well if you're considering huge over ears
http://www.head-fi.org/t/265251/beyerdynamic-dt-150-bloody-brilliant
http://www.head-fi.org/products/beyerynamic-dt-150-compact-closed-headphone-250-ohms

On ears:
Sennheiser amperior
onkyo esfc 300
Phillips fidelio m1
Polk audio ultrafocus 8000

Sep 29, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #4 of 9
Wait do you want on ears or over ears? I'm confused, lol. Everything I mentioned is on-ear, but I think you meant to say OVER ear?

Sep 29, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #5 of 9
@jodgey4

- I had a chance to hear Momentum On-Ear... not that impressed as with Over-Ear version;
- I was looking to Urbanites On-Ear, but they are somehow not well dimensioned, comparing to Over-Ear version;
- I want to get ON-EAR headphones, with similar (or better) sound of Momentum Over-Ear (budget is same);

@zunehdrocks

- huge Over-Ear are not considered as a choice - I want to wear them also outside, without looking like scientist not able to find a way to laboratory 
biggrin.gif

Right now I am reading about KEF M500, they certainly look like as an option.

Sep 29, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #6 of 9

- huge Over-Ear are not considered as a choice - I want to wear them also outside, without looking like scientist not able to find a way to laboratory 
biggrin.gif

Right now I am reading about KEF M500, they certainly look like as an option.

LOL
How about the akg k550?

The reviews on head fi for the kef m500 look great aside from the supposed severe lack of isolation
http://www.head-fi.org/products/kef-m500-hi-fi-on-ear-headphones-aluminum-black

Oct 1, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #7 of 9
So far thank you for suggestions (I am actually bit surprised about variety of manufacturers).
So far I am going to make test round with:

Polk Audio Ultrafocus 8000 (apparently very rare I would say)
Philips Fidelio M1
KEF M500
V-Moda XS

Bobi.

Oct 1, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #8 of 9
Ok so you want the momentum sound signature in an on ear headphone. I have both the on ear and over ear momentums, and the on ear versions are easy to eq to sound just like the over ear versions. Drop in bass and drop in treble and it sounds extremely close to the over ear version, so much so that it makes me think they have the same or similar driver. However,surprisingly the on ear version has a better soundstage which I thought was interesting. Provides less isolation tho.

When I got the Momentum it reminded me a lot of the PX200-ii which I also thought was interesting.

As for other options, the Sony MDR-1R are over ears but they look very compact on the head and are just plain sexy and are extremely comfortable and there is also a resemblance in sound signature to the over ear momentum.

Sep 8, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #9 of 9
Hi there,

It sounds like we are looking for the same type and style of headphones! I had a pair of Sennheiser PX360 which were pretty good but I didn't love them, so when finally one speaker gave up recently, I found myself looking at what is available. I shortlisted the following:

V-Moda XS
V-Moda M80
Sony MDR10R
Sennheiser Amperior
Philips Fidelio M1, M1ii or M2

In the end I found a pair of "used once" Fidelio M1 on ebay for only £45, so I have ordered those - they seem to get great reviews, but to be honest all of those above get great reviews - my only doubt was the Sony. Anyway - it would be interesting to hear which headphones you choose!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back