Looking for replacement for Shure E3s
Jan 18, 2010 at 7:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Jay_C

New Head-Fier
The Shure E3s are my current iem I have had the shures E2s and have been very happy with both of them (I know there are iem with better sound) however isolation is v important as these are the phones I use out and about.

im looking to upgrade the sound while keeping great isolation

My budget is up to £120 give or take.

thank

Jan 18, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I moved from E3 to the SF5 Pro and it was a huge improvement. I also have the SE210 and SE310, and they are very similar to each other, and also pretty much the same as the E3 to my ears at least. I'd move up to a dual driver IEM at least.

+1 for SF5 Pro. If you can get a good fit of UE's IEM, they are awesome.

Jan 18, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

I moved from E3 to the SF5 Pro and it was a huge improvement. I also have the SE210 and SE310, and they are very similar to each other, and also pretty much the same as the E3 to my ears at least. I'd move up to a dual driver IEM at least.

Ive been looking at the SF5pros and they look impressive

in particular the replicable cable

http://the-gadgeteer.com/assets/ultimateears-5pro-6.jpg

cheapest ive found £99.98 inc VAT (Out of Stock)
angry_face.gif

Ultimate Ears super.fi 5Pro earphones as low as £99.98 best buy discount online uk shop reviews

most prices £139

how would you compare the shures and SF5Pros for isolation?

Jan 18, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #6 of 18
The Shures isolate better and are more comfortable (for me anyway).

It's not like the SF5 Pro don't isolate, they just aren't as isolating as the Shures. You won't really notice the difference with music playing. Sound quality is an amazing difference.

Whatever you do, If you go with SF5 Pro make sure you buy the Pro version and not the newer "regular" version. The Pro is dual driver, the regular is not.

Jan 19, 2010 at 5:35 AM Post #7 of 18
I think the SE310 is a nice step up over the E3c. Better bass, fuller sound, more solid fit. But it's not going to give you that radically different or better sound you might be seeking.

Jan 19, 2010 at 6:13 AM Post #8 of 18
Can't you use decored Olives with the SF5s? There's a step up in isolation right there.

Jan 24, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by semisight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't you use decored Olives with the SF5s? There's a step up in isolation right there.

Have you tryed the Comply Form Tips? is so do they step up isolation? if not would you know the best place to get the Decored Olives tips.

Jan 24, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

I wouldn't spend the money on the SE310, it's not really an upgrade. For that money there are much better choices too.

Ok im pretty "Shure" hehe that im going to go with the SF5 Pro!

i just have last couple of question

how do you find the fit of SF5 Pro compated to Shures! do you find that if your used to shure fiting SF5 Pro will be same or more hassle to eather put in or staying secure?

douring my research of SF5 Pro it seen to be a hiss problem. have you experienced this or could it be in earlier versions of the model?

Jan 24, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #12 of 18
im not sure if the phonaks cable issues have been solved,
the Atrios M5 are nice if you like bass and soundstage,
the Denon C751 and C710 are on sale at AMP3.co.uk right now
and if you go UE, you might want to try the Super.fi 5 2.0, while the pro has replacable cables, the cable is still crap if you excuse my french, if its the same cable i had on my triple.fi 10 pro, i would recomend against it, it stiffens up and gets curly, literatly pulling the earpiece out of your ear,

Jan 24, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay_C /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how do you find the fit of SF5 Pro compated to Shures! do you find that if your used to shure fiting SF5 Pro will be same or more hassle to eather put in or staying secure?

douring my research of SF5 Pro it seen to be a hiss problem. have you experienced this or could it be in earlier versions of the model?

The Shures are more comfortable than the SF5 Pro but they are around equal in terms of how easy they are to insert, for me anyway. The SF5 Pro might even be easier to insert because of the memory wire (which I am a fan of) as opposed to the Shures that don't have a memory wire.

Most IEMs will hiss when used with a portable source (with cheap DAC/amp). I know that my Shures (E3c, SE210, and SE310) and UEs (SF3 Studio, SF5 Pro, TF10 Pro) all did.

Jan 31, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #14 of 18
Hi eveyone,

Thought id give a quick post to say that ive ordered the SF5 Pro, should have them on tuesday! Will post my thoughts by the end of the week

Thanks for everyones input. =-)

Feb 20, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #15 of 18
Hi Again,

I decided to wait a while to really road test new UE SF5 Pro earphones.

I find then as comfortable as my shures E3s using the Comply buds.

They don’t go as deep into my ears I’m looking into alternative buds that may help with the sound isolation; I find the isolation at the moment is about 10-20% less isolation.
In terms of Sound Quality the UE SF5 Pro are far superior to the shure E3s this is of course do to their two way speaker setup, bass is solid feeing without being
overwhelming, the mid & high are crystal clear and not to toppy just right highs in fact I’m hearing all sound in songs that I hadn’t heard before. I also find the memory wire to be very useful I think this will also help with the stress on them that inevitably causes the wire to break inside over time.

The wire is a bit thinner that the shures causing them to become tangle occasionally, I have found a way to combat this! By using the tightness adjustment and move it as close to the earphones when putting the away this prevent then tangling.

In conclusion I am glad I spent a bit more than I was planning of for the two main benefits they provide being the sound quality with the two way speaker setup they also are louder which help then being less isolation. The fact that ever part of them can be replaced.

I would like to thank everyone help & advice which was the deciding factor in my truly great investment !!

Thanks again

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back