Looking for relatively portable circumaural headphones for less than $300
Nov 12, 2014 at 6:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Dregur

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for "portable" full size circumaural headphones to compliment my ATH-M50 modded with velour pads for $300 or lower. I am running unamped out of a smartphone (and sometimes off a computer at work).  I've decided that while I like the sound of my M50's for the most part, they are not really all that portable (they're sort of big on my head), they're relatively heavy, and I have the coiled cable version. I mostly listen to indie rock and EDM. I also have a rather large head, and above average sized ears, which complicates things a bit, as the whole reason I modded my M50's was due to the earcups being too small and pinching the bottom of my ear. Due to this, I had to completely eliminate the Sennheiser Momentum due to the small earcup sizes. 

The headphones I've been mainly looking at (over and over again) are these selections:

1) AKG K545: They look comfortable, but I am not sure if I can handle the treble harshness that I've seen in reviews. Also, I'm not sure if they're that much portable compared to the M50's looking at the earcups (I might be completely wrong however)

2) Focal Spirit One: Seen good reviews on them, but not sure about comfort, and possible that the ear cups might be too small.

3) Donscorpio Dolphins: Super cheap relatively, but I haven't really seen many detailed reviews on them, but I heard they sound like Sennheiser Momentums, which interests me.

4) Sony MDR-1R: Reviews say they're very comfy, but have heard varying views on their sound.  

5) Onkyo ES-FC300: I know, on ear, but I've heard good things about them, might as well put them as a wild card entry.

Any other suggestions are welcome. I've also looked at the NAD Electronics VISO (scared about the build quality issues) and the Sol Republic Master Tracks XC (because I'm a masochist).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back