Looking for recommendations on source device for computer speakers
Oct 27, 2017 at 10:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

geoxile

100+ Head-Fier
I'm planning on upgrading my speakers to something more substantial like the Elac Debut b6 (currently using swan m10s) and I just pulled out my xonar dx due to various problems I have with it. Are there any specifically designed receivers or DACs for computer audio? I use a schiit stack for my headphones so a switcher is also an option I guess. Would've been nice if the mango 2u had one built in to seitch between the preamp and front headphone jacks

Oct 27, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #2 of 12
Yea a switch for the Magni series would be nice but honestly it's not that bad to just unplug the 1/4" when you want to use speakers. Any headphone amp with pre-outs is the best bet for powered monitors, otherwise a dedicated speaker amp is best. Usually a speaker amp will have sub par headphone outs

Oct 27, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #3 of 12
Yea a switch for the Magni series would be nice but honestly it's not that bad to just unplug the 1/4" when you want to use speakers. Any headphone amp with pre-outs is the best bet for powered monitors, otherwise a dedicated speaker amp is best. Usually a speaker amp will have sub par headphone outs

I'm not looking for an amp, I just mentioned the magni because then I could just my modo 2u. I'm looking for a DAC/receiver, not sure my onboard audio is really good for the job

Oct 27, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #4 of 12
I'm planning on upgrading my speakers to something more substantial like the Elac Debut b6 (currently using swan m10s) and I just pulled out my xonar dx due to various problems I have with it. Are there any specifically designed receivers or DACs for computer audio? I use a schiit stack for my headphones so a switcher is also an option I guess. Would've been nice if the mango 2u had one built in to seitch between the preamp and front headphone jacks
So your Schiit headphone amplifier does not come with a line-output (RCA), for connecting to speakers?

Oct 27, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #5 of 12
So your Schiit headphone amplifier does not come with a line-output (RCA), for connecting to speakers?
It does, I just don't want to plug and unplug my headphones everytime I change between the two. My preference is switching is software, followed by a physical switch (as in the object), and lastly the unplug/plug

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #6 of 12
It does, I just don't want to plug and unplug my headphones everytime I change between the two. My preference is switching is software, followed by a physical switch (as in the object), and lastly the unplug/plug
It's very simple to just reach over and unplug, and that's what you'd have to deal with unless you got a different unit. It's a hardware design so software wouldn't do anything for switching. The only other thing I could think of is some kind of switch between the headphone and Magni 2U but that might negatively affect sound quality

Oct 27, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #7 of 12
Im okay with a different unit and changing audio in Windows device selection. That's what the thread is for!

Also, are there any reviews that show the frequency response is noticeably worse due to a switch.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #8 of 12
Im okay with a different unit and changing audio in Windows device selection. That's what the thread is for!

Also, are there any reviews that show the frequency response is noticeably worse due to a switch.
I mean as long as you buy a decent quality switch that doesn't use an odd gauge wire and doesn't have flaws in the soldering you should be fine

Oct 27, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #9 of 12
I'm not looking for an amp

You're gonna need a speaker amp since you're upgrading from powered speakers to passive ones.

In case it could help, I use the ($150) Behringer KM750 power amp.

Since you already have a DAC and want to have your headphone amp (I love how you called it Mango instead of Magni! hehe) separate from the speakers, what you probably want is a passive preamp that lets you control the volume of the speaker amp as well as switch between components at the push of a button.

I use the ($49) Schiit SYS for this. It's normally meant to have two inputs and one output, but you can use it in reverse configuration with one input and two outputs. Just know that in reverse, it has potential issues, such as your amp getting too loud too quickly.

Oct 27, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #10 of 12
It does, I just don't want to plug and unplug my headphones every time I change between the two. My preference is switching is software, followed by a physical switch (as in the object), and lastly the unplug/plug
Audio switch box.

Oct 27, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #11 of 12
You're gonna need a speaker amp since you're upgrading from powered speakers to passive ones.

In case it could help, I use the ($150) Behringer KM750 power amp.

Since you already have a DAC and want to have your headphone amp (I love how you called it Mango instead of Magni! hehe) separate from the speakers, what you probably want is a passive preamp that lets you control the volume of the speaker amp as well as switch between components at the push of a button.

I use the ($49) Schiit SYS for this. It's normally meant to have two inputs and one output, but you can use it in reverse configuration with one input and two outputs. Just know that in reverse, it has potential issues, such as your amp getting too loud too quickly.

Mango is my autocorrect being dumb. Is there an advantage to using a preamp to control the amp's volume. Most of the amps I've seen seem to have some sort of volume control already.

Audio switch box.
Any recommendations other than the schitt Sys?

Oct 27, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #12 of 12
Is there an advantage to using a preamp to control the amp's volume. Most of the amps I've seen seem to have some sort of volume control already.

The advantage of a passive preamp is that it does not alter the signal aside from attenuating it, since it has no electronics. When you use an active preamp (including using a headphone amp as a preamp for speakers, or an integrated amp, which has a built-in preamp), it has the potential to color the sound to a noticeable degree.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back