Looking for recommendations on over-ears with nice bass 100-200$
Jan 14, 2017 at 1:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

TheKingBeaver

New Head-Fier
My pair of ATH M50x's broke on me a while back and I thought I'd take it as an opportunity to upgrade, but as I'm very new to headphones I don't quite know enough to make a surefire decision. I just ordered a ldmkii amp, and was looking for good bassy headphones with a similar sound signature to the M50x's. I've been eyeing the DT 990 pro blacks because of the straight cable, open back, and reviews I've read that state that bass is very good on them. Any recommendations? Thanks!

Jan 14, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #4 of 11
Hmm. I listened to many higher end audio gear, yet I always seem to favor my blue m50x, which are good for electronic. When mine break, I would be willing to buy another pair because of my attachment to them. 

So, I recommend you buy another m50x (the gray one looks cool but higher price but worth it) or the msr7 which I was very impressed by. However, the thing that sucks about the mrs7 is that they never drop in price. I only saw them drop once for $189.99 but otherwise, they are at $249.99. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PEUBIKM/ref=twister_B00W5QO6HU?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

They come in two colors, The black con costs slightly less. They may be a bit above your price range, but they 
are definitely worth it. 

Also, I recommend you doing research on these and other headphones. There could be better choices out there

smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 14, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #5 of 11
No doubt the m50s are great, but I was looking for something just a bit better. Like I said, I wanted an upgrade. And I have definitely been doing research, but I was hoping some more experienced people could help guide Me on the way. Thanks for your recommendation. Would love to hear other opinions.

Jan 14, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #6 of 11
My pair of ATH M50x's broke on me a while back and I thought I'd take it as an opportunity to upgrade, but as I'm very new to headphones I don't quite know enough to make a surefire decision. I just ordered a ldmkii amp, and was looking for good bassy headphones with a similar sound signature to the M50x's. I've been eyeing the DT 990 pro blacks because of the straight cable, open back, and reviews I've read that state that bass is very good on them. Any recommendations? Thanks!

If you are looking at bassy, you should check out the JVC HA-SZ1000. Definitely got bass.

Jan 14, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #7 of 11
From some of the reviews I've looked at, a lot of people say they aren't very clear, and only have bass to offer. I'm still looking for good quality sound, I just want it to hit. I should clarify I'm definitely not looking for cannons, but something warm, fun, and relaxing. Pleasing to listen to while still delivering the sound how it's supposed to sound. I want a "bigger brother" to the m50x's. I don't want flat response, and I don't want it to sound like I'm wearing subwoofers for headphones. I wasn't blown away with how clear the m50x's were, but the bass on them were pleasing, almost perfect (at least to my inexperienced ears). If I need to extend my budget to meet this requirement I can, and will, but I would like to keep within the 200 dollar range.

Jan 14, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #8 of 11
From some of the reviews I've looked at, a lot of people say they aren't very clear, and only have bass to offer. I'm still looking for good quality sound, I just want it to hit. I should clarify I'm definitely not looking for cannons, but something warm, fun, and relaxing. Pleasing to listen to while still delivering the sound how it's supposed to sound. I want a "bigger brother" to the m50x's. I don't want flat response, and I don't want it to sound like I'm wearing subwoofers for headphones. I wasn't blown away with how clear the m50x's were, but the bass on them were pleasing, almost perfect (at least to my inexperienced ears). If I need to extend my budget to meet this requirement I can, and will, but I would like to keep within the 200 dollar range.

If you could spend just a little more, you may want to check out the Meze 99 Classics.

Jan 14, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #9 of 11
Just looked into these, skipped over them in my previous searches because I figured they were all show no go, but based on reviews you can't judge the book by its cover. Thank you for the recommendation, these seem like what I'll end up going with. If anyone has other recommendations, let me hear them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back