Looking for recommendations on new portable device to replace iPod Classic
Nov 25, 2019 at 3:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Bogmonster

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

First post in a long time. I'm hoping you can help me here. Recently my iPod Classic has been acting up and I think it's only a matter of time before it bites the dust. I've had it since 2012 so at this point it owes me nothing.

I'm really just looking for a dedicated music player. I don't need anything that plays videos or anything like that. I'd also like something that will drive my headphones a bit too. I was using a FiiO headphone amp with my iPod and it sounded great with my Shure SRH940 headphones and my Shure SE215's (although these didn't really need it).

Most of my music is Apple lossless so a new device will need to support that. I may or may not continue using iTunes with this new device depending on what is recommended to use with it. I think iTunes is pretty easy to use.

I'm not tied to Apple and have looked at a new iPod touch as they have a bigger memory but it also has a bunch of other apps and such that I have no interest in. It pretty much seems like an iPhone without the phone capabilities.

I've been hearing great things about the Hifiman Super mini. It has lots of space and will drive headphones a bit. It also supports Apple Lossless. No bells and whistles and a decent price too. Plus the ability to add another 250 GB memory card.

Astell & Kern also have many options as well that cover my needs but are a bit more pricey.

Can the more knowledgeable folks here give me some guidance or recommendations on some options please?

I'm living in Ireland so I'd rather not have to order from the US. Ideally I'd like to keep the price below 500 Euro but I'd stretch for something if it was worth it.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Nov 25, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #2 of 6
Hey guys,

First post in a long time. I'm hoping you can help me here. Recently my iPod Classic has been acting up and I think it's only a matter of time before it bites the dust. I've had it since 2012 so at this point it owes me nothing.

I'm really just looking for a dedicated music player. I don't need anything that plays videos or anything like that. I'd also like something that will drive my headphones a bit too. I was using a FiiO headphone amp with my iPod and it sounded great with my Shure SRH940 headphones and my Shure SE215's (although these didn't really need it).

Most of my music is Apple lossless so a new device will need to support that. I may or may not continue using iTunes with this new device depending on what is recommended to use with it. I think iTunes is pretty easy to use.

I'm not tied to Apple and have looked at a new iPod touch as they have a bigger memory but it also has a bunch of other apps and such that I have no interest in. It pretty much seems like an iPhone without the phone capabilities.

I've been hearing great things about the Hifiman Super mini. It has lots of space and will drive headphones a bit. It also supports Apple Lossless. No bells and whistles and a decent price too. Plus the ability to add another 250 GB memory card.

Astell & Kern also have many options as well that cover my needs but are a bit more pricey.

Can the more knowledgeable folks here give me some guidance or recommendations on some options please?

I'm living in Ireland so I'd rather not have to order from the US. Ideally I'd like to keep the price below 500 Euro but I'd stretch for something if it was worth it.

Thanks in advance for your help!

I'm on a similar hunt. I have a post on here for the best DAP under 400 with no bells and whistles. Some people have chimed in with ideas and recommendations there if you wanna look.

Astell and Kern, AK Jr
The Bit, Opus #1
Cowon, Plenue D2
HiBy, R3 Pro

Those are some of the ones I'm thinking of so far. Although there are also some that have the bells and whistles too but seem to tick the music quality and driving power boxes along the way. They're pricy(up to just over €500 for the Fiio in Ireland):

Fiio M11
HiBy R5

Both have all the power you'll probably need.

I never had the Hifiman Supermini but I did have their Megamini once and it sounded great.

Not sure if any of that rambling is of any help to you but I'm still trying to sort out this problem myself.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2019 at 3:25 PM Post #3 of 6
Fairly sure AMP3 would ship to Ireland and they generally have a 10 percent off code knocking around (if not more).

Nov 26, 2019 at 2:53 AM Post #5 of 6
I'm on a similar hunt. I have a post on here for the best DAP under 400 with no bells and whistles. Some people have chimed in with ideas and recommendations there if you wanna look.

Astell and Kern, AK Jr
The Bit, Opus #1
Cowon, Plenue D2
HiBy, R3 Pro

Those are some of the ones I'm thinking of so far. Although there are also some that have the bells and whistles too but seem to tick the music quality and driving power boxes along the way. They're pricy(up to just over €500 for the Fiio in Ireland):

Fiio M11
HiBy R5

Both have all the power you'll probably need.

I never had the Hifiman Supermini but I did have their Megamini once and it sounded great.

Not sure if any of that rambling is of any help to you but I'm still trying to sort out this problem myself.

Than you for the info. I'm going to look into those as well. I knew of the Cowon and it was on my radar. The Astell & Kern stuff is the only one I've ever had my hands on (I saw them in Harrods in London a few years ago) and really liked them. Very solid feel. I was also aware of the FiiO stuff after their amp but I'm a bit hesitant about them too. I had a bad experience with my amp where the battery just expanded. It literally expanded to the point where the whole unit itself completely buckled. Put me off that brand a bit. But I'll definitely have another look.

There doesn't seem to be any issues shipping stuff from the US. It's just that I'll get caught for customs which is a pain. I'd rather a dealer based in Europe.

I'm hoping Black Friday will have some deals for me. I'm going to look into those other brands too.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back