Looking for Recommendations: On-ear, smallish headphones--budget:$100 (+/- $50)
Sep 11, 2013 at 7:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

hfshuflr

New Head-Fier
Hello,
Looking for some recommendations for computer audio (youtube, streaming music, nothing special) headphones, need on-ear on the small side that won't leak sound too badly (not looking for total isolation as I need to take them on & off often, but don't want to disturb others around me) so just avoiding "open" headphones, and IEM's--to be more specific as to why:  its not fast enough to take them (IEM's) out delicately and place them back in my ear canal, faster to just move headphone by band/cup when I answer phone.  Currently using Sennheiser HD 201's, and while they aren't horrible at $30, figured a nicer budget will make quite a difference.  Not really interested in anything that needs an amp, just looking at non-amp options...

I'm also looking for a USB sound card/device that I can plug into my computer that won't require installing drivers/admin rights, thinking budget of $50 (or less) just to avoid computer interference...using a Syba USB sound device, and playback is *so* loud on it, I have to keep my Windows sound volume at 1-5, 5 on the very loud side.

Was looking at Creative Aurana Live! (which are around the ear, but seemed decent for use) and Koss Porta Pros (which seem like a nice fit size-wise, but would leak sound).  Any thoughts and recommendations appreciated, thanks.

edit: grammar/typo

Sep 11, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #2 of 17
JVC HA-S500, sells for under $60.

Sep 12, 2013 at 3:41 AM Post #4 of 17
Hi,
Thanks for the recommendations! My understanding is the FiiO E10 is an amp...will it also serve as a functioning external sound device too? Anyone able to confirm issues with it being plug and play (without drivers/requiring admin rights to operate)?

Sep 12, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #5 of 17
Right. The E10 has a USB DAC and a headphone amp built in together. It's plug and play. You might have to tell Windows to use it over your built in sound card (via control panel), but that's it :)

Sep 12, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #6 of 17
Hi,
Thanks for the recommendations! My understanding is the FiiO E10 is an amp...will it also serve as a functioning external sound device too? Anyone able to confirm issues with it being plug and play (without drivers/requiring admin rights to operate)?

The Fiio E10 USB - DAC - Amp would plug into your computer's USB port and normally windows would automatically make it the default sound device when it's plugged in.
It a basic 2-channel audio (fine for music) and does not process any headphone surround sound.
So movies and games would be in 2-channel stereo audio.

Sep 12, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #7 of 17
V-Moda M80 falls just under the $100 mark, and can be had for $80 currently at Radioshack. should be tops in this group.

Sep 12, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #9 of 17
  V-Moda M80 falls just under the $100 mark, and can be had for $80 currently at Radioshack. should be tops in this group.

Bummer,
radioshack.com says their out, and nothing pops up for 50 miles...amazon looks like its about $150 so maybe that was a super sale at radio shack.

Looks like the JVC's may still be the way to go.  They don't need amping though, do they?  Just wondering if the amp on an E10 would be a waste/unnecessary...

Sep 12, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #10 of 17
No. The JVC's definitely don't need amping. They have high enough sensitivity that they play well on anything, and their impedance is 32 ohms, which is suitable for pretty much any portable device or computer output.

Sep 13, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #11 of 17
No. The JVC's definitely don't need amping. They have high enough sensitivity that they play well on anything, and their impedance is 32 ohms, which is suitable for pretty much any portable device or computer output.

Great!  don't suppose there's a E10 without the amp?  I do like the fact it has an external knob for volume control.  Also, leaning heavily towards those JVC's, didn't find any for less than $60 however--any thoughts on where to grab them?

Sep 13, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #12 of 17
Great!  don't suppose there's a E10 without the amp?  I do like the fact it has an external knob for volume control.  Also, leaning heavily towards those JVC's, didn't find any for less than $60 however--any thoughts on where to grab them?

Get the E11. Little bit better amp than in the E10 :)

Sep 13, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #13 of 17
Get the E11. Little bit better amp than in the E10
smily_headphones1.gif

Wait, why?  If I'm considering the JVC's and the E10 only on account its an external sound device, wanting one without the amp, why get the E11?

Sep 13, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #14 of 17
Sorry. I got it backwards. I was thinking you said you didn't want the DAC in the E10. You have to have the headphone amp with the DAC. A DAC doesn't have a volume control and is not meant to be run straight to headphones without amplification. The pre-amp in the E10 controls the volume output from the headphone amp; think of it as part of the headphone amp. I don't even know if you can buy a headphone amp without a volume control.

Oct 9, 2013 at 3:08 AM Post #15 of 17
Welp, finally got my JVC HA-S500's from Japan (picked the $49.99 option, but didn't read the fine print it'd take a month to get either!).  They sound just great for the price--nice bass and while being closed they aren't as great for mids & highs as open headphones are, they are just *perfect* in size and isolation needs as I had requested.  Nice call Purple Angel!  Also like the fact they didn't break the bank and won't make me feel horrible should if they happen to get stolen or break at work (though very unlikely) like the much more expensive v-moda's likely would.

Also nice call on the Fiio E-10 btw cel4145.  A bit on the expensive-for-what-I-needed side, but turns out it is a perfect solution for my workstation without needing drivers/admin rights whatsoever and bypassing interference on the motherboard *and* providing a volume control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back