Looking for recommendations: forgiving headphones
Dec 14, 2009 at 3:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

AmanGeorge

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey team,

I tend to have a preference for slightly bright, extremely transparent and detailed presentations in my headphones - I love the K701, I have an HD800 on the way, and am also devoted to my Sony CD3K. The problem is, none of these are particularly forgiving of bad recordings, which, as we all know, are a sad fact of life.

I was wondering what sorts of recommendations folks have for a pair of headphones that sounds great but tends towards being more forgiving of poor source material. I used to own an HD650, but ended up selling it because it was just too dark for my tastes. Is there some sort of middle ground? Do the HD600s retain the smooth nature of the 650 despite being less bassy? Are there other 'phones I should be looking at?

Look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Dec 14, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #2 of 12
If you had a silver recable for the HD650, they would end up sounding very much like the HD600. They both are somewhat forgiving for less than perfect sources I must say.

Dec 14, 2009 at 11:19 AM Post #7 of 12
Or a Stax 202. How headphones react to high frequencies is the key to forgiveness. The HD650 emphasizes the upmost treble somewhat, and that makes some loud records very bad sounding (and the Stax plays them very neatly).

Dec 14, 2009 at 11:50 AM Post #8 of 12
German Mastro 435S if you want to go cheap or bang for buck. Otherwise Edition 8. Don´t let your Ultrasone hatred blind you it´s worth a trial
smily_headphones1.gif

They are on the other spectrum of my Pro 900/K701.

Dec 14, 2009 at 12:51 PM Post #9 of 12
Thanks for all the advice guys!

The HD600 is definitely on my shortlist for now. I don't think a 650, even with a recable, will cut it for me though - I've heard recabled pairs and they are still just a touch too dark.

Fostex is an interesting thought, although in general I've been less impressed with the soundstaging abilities of those old orthos.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ting.mike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Koss ESP-950 with its stock amp is pretty forgiving of bad recordings. As a matter of fact, it'll nicely separate bad and congested recordings.

I was looking at these with some interest, especially since there's a pair up on the FS forums right now. Anybody else have any thoughts on this pair?

Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
German Mastro 435S if you want to go cheap or bang for buck. Otherwise Edition 8. Don´t let your Ultrasone hatred blind you it´s worth a trial
smily_headphones1.gif

They are on the other spectrum of my Pro 900/K701.

Eh, my Ultrasone hatred is a product of having heard them. The Ed. 8 is the only high-end headphone that I've heard that actually sounds bad to my ears. Plus, with the 800s on the way, I don't think I'm looking to break the bank on another 4-digit price headphone.

Dec 14, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #11 of 12
Bump for any other ideas, or comparisons of those already mentioned... I'm liking the idea of the Koss, although cringing slightly at another headphone outlay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back