Looking for Recommendations for Travel
Jan 23, 2012 at 4:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Sanity

Head-Fier
Hey all, not a new user to the world of Head-fi, but I am relatively inexperienced when it comes to the strengths and weaknesses of specific earbuds/iems. So that is why I am posting a thread.

I am looking for a set of earbuds that I can use during commutes and time spent at the gym, and when I am on my workbench at home. There are only a few things I need: decent attenuation of outside sound, comfort, and best possible sound. I have a tendency to enjoy a rather neutral sound signature with a bit of warmth in the mids and a tiny bit of treble emphasis. Sound stage is pivotal, but I imagine getting great sound stage on earbuds would be a hard feat to accomplish.

Musical genres that these would be used to listen to would be: classic rock, symphonic metal, heavy metal, bossanova, classical, but above all, Post-Rock.

My budget is can extend up to 300, but maybe a bit more if the cost is justified.

Jan 24, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #2 of 5
Probably should also mention the occasional rap listening.

Jan 24, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #3 of 5
I will recommend these IEMs Sony EX7550, GR10, EQ7, RE272 for the soundsignature you preffer and they are very detailed with fairly open soundstage.

Jan 24, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #5 of 5
Don't use expensive audio gear in the gym or while otherwise very active. Players and earphones used in gyms are typically trashed soon enough. Get yourself a cheap decent mp3 player like the Sandisk Clip+($35) and some decent IEMs under $50(or perhaps even under $30?). For under $50, the Meelectronics A151 might give you the detail you want. For under $30, the Meelectronics CX21 might be good enough. Aside from damage due to dropping it, sweat can damage earphones and players. Some people run the earphone cord under their  shirt when at the gym to keep the wire from catching on equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back