Looking for Recommendations for portable amp/dac for fostex th900mk2
Nov 19, 2018 at 1:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

shmueltz

New Head-Fier
hi so im about to buy the fostex th900mk2 soon and i want to get a good amp/dac for the go and desktop use
What would you reccommend for up to 500~$
Currently i was suggested:
1.ifi micro black label
2.chord mojo

What do you think about those? Do you have any other recommendations?
I would love to hear explanations for the recommendations as well

Nov 20, 2018 at 1:59 AM Post #3 of 4
You might also look at the Fiio Q5 or iFi xCAN. Those would give you the option of running balanced and/or wireless.

I don't have any of these specific units (or that model of headphones). The closest thing I have that includes a DAC is the ALO CDM, but that's a little higher than your specified budget. (Although they sometimes pop up used around $700) Also the CDM is more transportable than portable. Not something you're going to put in your pocket.

If you include amp-only units, options open up a bit, and you can get into cool, weird stuff like the XRK Pocket Class A or Aune B1s (both discrete class A amps), or tube hybrids like ALO Continental V5 and Phatlab Sassy. Less exotic (but highly regarded) amps in roughly the price range are also made by Portaphile, Vorzuge, Headamp, Ray Samuels, and others.

I recently picked up a used Ray Samuels SR-71A locally, and it's fantastic. Tons of power, and great bass performance.

Massdrop is currently running a drop for the Headamp protables, including the Pico and Pico Power. The Pico is a DAC/amp, but the DAC in it is pretty ancient by current standards, I think. The Pico Power is still well-regarded, and the Massdrop price for it is very good. I'm tempted to pick one up, but it's kind of hard to justify having just gotten the SR-71A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back