Looking for recommendations for IEM headphones around $100-150 primarily for the gym and with electronic music
Aug 10, 2014 at 12:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

spaceknight

New Head-Fier
I really liked using my JVC marshmallows because it isolated the sound so well and kept me going in the zone when I was at the gym. However, they are finally coming apart, and it is time for an upgrade. I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations for what I want? I'm looking for earbuds that go directly in the ear, and not over top, and ideally with an inline controller for an ipod. Bass doesn't have to be crazy, despite the fact that most of my music is electronic. Thanks guys.

Aug 10, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #2 of 5
I have and use Bowers and Wilkins C5 ear buds every day at the gym. I have owned them for 2 years and I use them DAILY. They also have a 2 year warranty which is nice. surprised the ratings aren't higher.. but I know most negative reviews are generally NOT because of poor sound quality. I find them very clear with very decent amount of bass straight out of my iPhone. I have a lot of electronic music in my gym playlist so I can tell you they do very well in the bass. When I first got them, I was very surprised with them and started rediscovering alot of my music. When I use them at the gym, I can't hear ANYTHING except my music loud and clear and I can focus on my workout without having stupid dre beats on my head like other gym morons do. admittedly, it took a couple hours to really get used to the shape design but now I don't even feel them in for sometimes 6 hours on end when working. They even do a great job of staying in my ear when I sweat and box at the gym.

also, I don't own these, but will be getting them later as a second pair of in-ear phones. Has very good reviews, look great, seem to be very well built. Wish I could give my personal opinion of the sound but I have never tried them.. based on reviews, I imagine they are great.

http://www.amazon.com/RHA-MA750i-Isolating-Headphone-Microphone/dp/B00ELAM8NC/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t

Aug 10, 2014 at 3:03 AM Post #3 of 5
Hi there,

You might not be very impressed by my suggestion, but let me tell you it's the best I found for the purpose, so far.

For running, jumping, bending and lying in various positions, and all this while sweating, normal earbuds simply didn't do it for me. There are many sport earbuds, with all kinds of hooks, loops, and "in-place"/"non-slip" designs, which I honestly didn't try. A specific form factor has attracted me since the beginning, and never let me down - neckband earphones.

These keep a natural constant pressure for the earbuds to remain in place, the band goes behind your neck without actually touching/irritating it, and they usually have a single cable which is easy to manage behind your back or in front of you, allowing for no cable interference with whatever exercise you're doing. Also, they are usually waterproof, so not only your sweat won't damage the speakers, and you can actually clean the set with water, or damp cloth.

Some years ago, I had the Sennheiser PMX80, which did great for a while, but weren't that comfortable, the sounds was too faded and thin, didn't isolate very well, and the foam earbud cover wasted very quickly. They have done updates to that model, including Adidas "collaborations", and maybe these points have improved since then.

Currently, I own the Philips ActionFit SHQ4017/28, and saw a huge improvement: they are extremely light, have earbud silicone caps that insert deep and provide great isolation, stay in place regardless whatever movement you're doing, and have a much louder sound (can't say it's "quality" sound, since the bass is far too boosted, but actually feels pretty good when you need to keep up the rhythm and feel motivated at the gym). I also listen to electronic beats music at the gym, and these earphones provide fun and optimal conditions to get and stay in the zone, no interferences, no problems - just reps and music! You have iPod inline controller options, although mine is the simple cable version, so I can't speak for the operability of the controller. The cable, by the way, tends to tangle in a strange way when stored, but once you untangle and put the earphones on, it behaves satisfactorily.

Enjoy your thumping workouts! :wink:

Aug 12, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #5 of 5
  Ideally I don't really want earbuds that loop over because I find that they strain my ear and make it uncomfortable after awhile.

The C5s have an "inner ear" loop and does not wrap around the back of your ear.. they do not become uncomfortable at all or put any strain on your ear. I really think you would like the C5 for the gym!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back