Looking for Recommendations: earbuds with mic under $50
Mar 21, 2013 at 1:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

txoutback

New Head-Fier
I'm trying to find a nice set of earbuds with a mic for under $50, and here's what my parameters are:
  2. No infamous Hiss...jeez the SkullCandy FMJs hiss so loud!
  3. Doesn't have an issue with loud microphonics or chintzy cables
  4. I really dont like shrill highs and sibilance, and good bass is a plus...I want these for listening while I work in my garage, shop, or yard, not for studio monitoring.
  5. Decent Isolation, or at least can support Comply cups or DIY mods for isolation... I still have some decent SkullCandy earcups, too.
  6. The in-line controls mean nothing to me...really... I dont use them ever.
  7. A good mic is imporatnt so people dont complain about not hearing me like they do with SkullCandy FMJs.
  8. Black, gray, brown, or silver is my preference. I'm 41, I dont need pink, yellow, red accents.

Honestly the SoundMagic E10M's look like a good fit for me, but they are only available in red... is there a newer model that has replaced them, or are the gun-metals just sold out temporarily?

I've also looked at the Brainwavz M5, but some people seem complain about the lack of bass... is that due to mis-fitting the earcups or is the unit just bass-weak overall?

Thanks for reading.

Mar 24, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #2 of 3
First off - http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-276-iems-compared-sennheiser-cx980-ie7-added-03-23-13-p-655#post_6492044 (recommendations are more active on this one as well)

And another thing - the M5s are plenty bassy - in fact, at times they can be a tad boomy (but not too much to make it a problem). The real problem is the slowness in note decay - it can get a bit congested at times.

Would the red thing be a huge deterrent? Honestly they fit the sound profile quite well (and really the only other thing that gets close to the criteria would be MH1Cs, and the cabling is awful on those) so it'd be a shame...

Mar 24, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #3 of 3
Thanks TwinQY,

I'm going to give the SoundMagic MP21's a chance. They're cheap enough that I can always throw them in the desk for emergency backups if they dont work out. I like the looks of the MH1Cs and I like my other Sony phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back