Looking for reccomendations on new in ear heahpones
Dec 22, 2011 at 12:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

aedmic

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to buy some new in ear headphones and after researching for hours on headphones I'm still pretty unclear on what's the best out there and what to buy.

I'm looking to buy headphones in the $100 - $150 price range.  I mainly listen to hip hop/rap music, and as such bass is a crucial factor for me - I definitely want strong and powerful bass but obviously not at the cost of distorting or muddying the the mids and highs.  In addition to rap I listen to a fair amount of rock/heavy rock (metallica, alice in chains, avenged sevenfold, nirvana, tool, system of a down, etc.) and some alternative music (R.E.M., coldplay, modest mouse, dave matthews band, my morning jacket, etc.).  I'll be using them mainly in my dorm room and on public transit.  Also, durability is huge for me since all the in ear headphones I've bought the past couple years have broke ridiculously quickly (granted I've only been buying headphones that were less than $40 but still).  So ideally I'd like the headphones I buy to last at least a year before I have to deal with getting them replaced under warranty.  I'd like them to fit well and be comfortable, but I don't envision using them for exercise, and I've used a lot of in ear headphones throughout the years and never had a big comfort issue with them, so I don't think I'm too "picky" in that category.  I don't really care how they look; if anything since I'll be using them on Chicago's public transit it's probably better if they look cheap to avoid being a target for thieves. 

I've been looking at the monster turbines and like the way they reportedly sound (based off amazon reviews, headroom, etc.) with a supposedly powerful bass, but the fact that the durability seems to be horrible is keeping me from buying them.  

I also tried out some bose ie2's at their store today but didn't feel the bass was powerful enough for hip hop.

So basically looking for the best headphones in terms of sound quality and durability in that price range

Thanks for your help in advance. 

Dec 22, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #2 of 4
If you do a quick search, you should be able to find many threads on the topic. In addition, you should check out joker's thread if you haven't already. 

Dec 22, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #3 of 4
I just picked up some Hifiman re262... Not a bass heavy set but it does provide nice bass from what I heard in the reviews. Also heard that adding amps to the setup would benefit a lot!
Perhaps Hifiman RE-Zero for you?

Dec 22, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #4 of 4
I have yet to hear the RE262, but it's more mid focused. I can say with confidence that the RE-Zero will not give you enough bass. Its overall sound signature is very flat and accurate. Getting a Digizoid ZO will help with bass for sure though with any IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back